Sci-Fi Wire Report On "Enterprise"...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Jul 23, 2003.

1. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks Dennis

Pleases me to see the Suliban/TCW returning

This arc lasting all season (so it seems)

And a darker Archer is much needed.

I'm still undecided on the T'Pol/Trip thing...but if it creates tension between Archer and Trip, I'm all for it.

Thanks again. :)

2. Guest

Guest Guest

^^^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Oh, gosh!!! I've busted something!

3. emily_reich

emily_reich Commodore Commodore

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ok, i wouldn't want ot see this, but that was funny :lol: :lol:

4. its_a_clock

its_a_clock Commodore Commodore

Have you ever seen the Voyager BBS?

:insert vomit smiley:

5. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

If only that actually said something ...

I realize that press junkets aren't a reflection of reality, but nothing I see here or elsewhere out of this particular junket sounds like anyone has an ounce of actual information. What they do choose to say, including this snippet from Bakula, still leaves me with the distinct impression of chaos, with no one actually having any idea what they want to do, or need to do. Not very good PR; if they can't come up with something that at least gives the impression that they're focused and determined, why are they even being permitted press access?

Will someone please remove the following words from B&B's public vocabulary:
    • "kind of"
    • "might"
    • "cool"
    And please explain that there is no such concept as "semi-recurring" ... :rolleyes:
    How long ago was Trek supposed to show positive characters, even amidst negative situations, and to do otherwise was anathema, even for the executives to consider? After two years of a show where they can't even approach the concept of a crewperson dying, now it sounds like we're using The Shield as our model ...

Bad idea. Bad, bad idea. It was a bad idea with 7 of 9, and they haven't apparently learned anything. The chief value of a character such as T'Pol is that she isn't human, and can thus provide an external view into humanity. Make her just another pilgrim on the path to humanity, just as Data and Seven and the Doctor, and you might as well peel off the ears and call her "Jill." But, hey, at least we've got exciting colors ...
    ... well, as long as she's not going to be a Vulcan anyway, this is about as exciting to me as oatmeal. I don't share Dennis's unfounded assurance that the folks who've never been able to create a decent relationship between any two people, of the same or different species, may find a magic path this time. I expect we could see just as good a job with a relationship between Phlox and Porthos, except for the fact Billingsley is the only actor in the cast who could probably pull it off.
    "... because we decided from the very beginning that this show will be based upon the TCW, and dammit we're going to force every square peg into a round hole. If those fanfic writers can make Buffy fit with The Prisoner, we can do this, because at least we're getting paid more."

:rolleyes:

6. emily_reich

ya mean this one:

[​IMG]

7. janek

janek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hear ya.. you said it. :)

8. bandybones

bandybones Captain Captain

Let's look at this whole Trip/T'Pol thing.

In season 1, they had some dynamite scenes together, and even the actors have aknowledged that sparks fly when the 2 are onscreen. But for some reason, in season 2 the writers backed off, and the potential for something, even friendship between the 2 characters, was mostly ignored. In fact, they hardly had any screen time together.

Instead, what did we get? Archer/T'Pol, or at least hints at it. Totally forced, but unmistakable, imo.

But at the same time we heard the actors saying that they were not in favor of any shipboard romances for their characters, and even Braga said in his chat that they had no romances planned. In his interview in SciFi magazine, Bakula said that the Archer/T'Pol stuff was mostly in the fans' minds, and that nothing is going to happen. (I'm paraphrasing).

Now someone is hinting at a Trip/T'pol romance? I don't believe it. Either this is some reporter's misinterpretation of something the BBs said, or it's just the BBs throwing something out for effect and the desire to titillate. I'll believe it when I see it.

9. emily_reich

ok, i can see your point, and it IS possible that it was a misinterpretation, but at the very LEAST, this probably means more screen time for them, and (even if it was a misinterpretation) hopefully there will at least be friendship again.... i mean, like you said, they've had about three scenes together all of last season (ok, so mabe a few more, but ya know...very few :))

and i'm STILL excited about the trip part.... struggling, is he?? this means he's not just a revenge-seeking madman, and that is good news :)

10. Miss Thang

Miss Thang Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ooooh, even better. :eek: Just not STUPID (see above example :D ).

I just hope that if they do give us a darker Archer that they don't do so by recasting and going with George Hamilton. A captain should not carry a Long Island Iced Tea with him onto the bridge.

11. bandybones

emily_reich wrote
    I agree with you, emily. Being the confirmed Tuckerite that I am, I welcome any screentime for the wonderful Connor, and this certainly does indicate that he will have some quiet, more reflective scenes. Not just the revenge stuff. I'm really looking forward to season 3.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think having T'Pol changed by her interaction with humans and particularly the relationship with Trip is a great idea. It's far more interesting and individuated than being the "alien who looks at humanity from outside".

Spock, the archetypical Vulcan character, would have been no more than a nuisance if that had been his main dramatic axis. What made him more than a mouthpiece for the heavy-handed "observations" of some tv writers in L.A. were his -- sorry, Vulcanphiles -- emotional conflicts.

To some extent, T'Pol is Spock in reverse. He resists the "weakness" of his human heritage; she rebels against the suffocation of her Vulcan indoctrination.

13. janek

janek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Bandybones, do you have to knock, albeit gently, A/T'P fans down when we're already down? :) It didn't seem forced to us.

Maybe I'm reading into it -- but at least it will mean Trip's gonna spend more with T'Pol than last year. You're right, it is still early to predict what will really happen, but it wouldn't surprise me if we see some sexy stuff happening between Trip and T'Pol -- hell with continuity.

14. bandybones

^^ janek , I did use the disclaimer "imo" when talking about the A/T'P relationship. I certainly didn't mean to offend.

For the record, I'm not in favor of any shipboard romances, including T/T'P. Better that they develop a great friendship. And that's not meant to diss T/T'Polers either.

15. AlexR

AlexR Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is actually more positive, I think.

From what Dennis posted, the following are of particular interest...

That has to be outdated, though, doesn't it? At least a few are now cast, or am I mis-remembering?

If written well, that could be a good step. I'd not want Archer to lose all his optimism and openness, but he needs a sense of purpose, and this may help give him one.

Okay, now this is intriguing, and it's so because it continues to explore the Human/Vulcan dynamic. T'Pol explores emotion and Trip explores the Vulcan idea of what Diane Duane called cthia ("passion's mastery", mis-translated as "logic"). And if they do it that way, instead of just "T'Pol learns how to be more Human", it could be rather neat.

As much as I'd still rather they make the TCW just go away, at least this answers the question of whether they're abandoning older storylines, and that answer is "no".

Intriguing stuff, at least...

Best,
    Alex

16. emily_reich

i must admit that, as much as i am a T/Ter, i certainly would prefer NO 'ship to a badly-done 'ship... if T/T turns out as immature as a night in sickbay, i will CERTAINLY be dissapointed....

17. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Sorry, Janek. :( However, you have cause to rejoice. This angry Archer business sounds as if it will play to Scott's strengths. Angry, worried, tired, angsty, in need of comfort and support Archer.....think about it. It could be goooooooood. :evil: No more boy scout Archer.

As far as the Trip/T'Pol stuff goes, gosh I have fallen off the Trip/T'Pol train. I'd have been jumping for joy once upon a time. I just hope that this isn't A Night in Sickbay redux drivel with Trip substituting for the captain. I've seen B&B's idea of sexy. It isn't. If there going to quash my Trip/Hoshi dreams and do this (I'm hoping this isn't more trophy passing teasing bits of nothing) then go for it and do it right or don't go there at all. I'm serious. This program is in dire need of some pulsating sexuality. Not decon. Not boobs in the face.

EDIT:
    Yes. Exactly. Trip and T'Pol approached from that angle could be sensual and heartfelt but are B&B capable of authoring a scenario such as the above? Like I said, they seemed to believe that ANIS was sexy when it was anything but. This may all turn out to be cheap titillation with T'Pol aimed towards Trip this time on the trophy round up.

18. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

We'll see...I don't trust anyhting B&B say. They alway promise things and never deliver...that's why people don't like ENT.

JF

19. dex

dex Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:confused: :eek: :)

Well if you put it that way. Now if they can execute it like that.

20. AlexR

AlexR Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It occurs to me that what B&B need is a press secretary. ;)

What they certainly need is to learn to give better interviews.

Best,
    Alex