Sarek, played by James Frain

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Balok's Decoy, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really like the actor, and the character makes sense...but I hate how they are disconnecting the movies with this new show. It's just silly, and doesn't help the Trek brand at all.

We'll see how it goes...

2. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

I wonder if he'll portray an unnamed Romulan commander as well. :D

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since we don't know how the connection is going to be, or Sarek's role, then I will wait and see on this one.

wayoung likes this.
  4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

WIN :rommie: :beer:

And to further mess with people's heads, they should get Ben Cross to return, this time as Skon (Sarek's father). :vulcan:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  5. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

^ Indeed.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was something as simple as a respected ambassador checking in, much like Admirals have in the past.

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Maybe they were half brothers, and this is Sarek's personal Sybok moment *soap opera theme*

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Hmm. Well, it could be just EW's breathless promotion style. Or Wiki could be wrong. Or he could be key in the sense that he provides the impetus for the story in the first episode, but isn't seen again (until the end, perhaps, when Discovery returns home).

That's the long and the short of it right there.

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  8. JonVP

JonVP Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Great actor. Seems a better fit than Cross in Trek09. Guess Sarek will have an important role.

9. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked Ben Cross as Sarek, but I also like this as well. Besides, Crain kind of looks like Mark Lenard...

11. queerTrekker

queerTrekker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It would be exciting to see Sarek in his prime. I was quite pleased to hear about the news, whether he is just doing a brief cameo or not.

12. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mixed feelings about this.

On one hand, James Frain is an awesome actor, I'm glad he is on the cast, and he seems to me ideal for the role of a Vulcan.

On the other, do we really need him to be Sarek? Surely, Vulcan has more than one ambassador.

Thowra likes this.
  13. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

We don't need anything, but it's nice to link the show to its predecessors in this way.
    Besides, he's only been in one episode of TOS and it could be interesting to see him outside of his relationship with Spock.

14. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Did you expect anything different from a series set in this period? A period one minute away from the most popular/significant part of the franchise? It would seem like Discovery was ducking and dodging nothing (person, belief, technology, event, etc.) was not seen or referenced in the new series.

If CBS wanted a clean break, they would have set the series in the 30th century, where you could believably create stories with no trace of a TOS influence. Not going to happen, as the PTB knows what the public considers real ST. That does not mean Discovery will not take its own direction (likely considering how fantasy TV is used at present), but it still needed a few connections to TOS.

15. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

Some of us like the TOS connections

16. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

That hadn't even crossed my mind. Now I can't help but see a resemblance, especially with the post above yours!

17. TheSubCommander

Not true.

Sarek Appears in Star Trek 3 & 4 (Mark Lenard), Star Trek 5 (can't remember the guy's name right now), the TNG episodes Sarek and Unification, TAS episode Yesteryear, and Star Trek 2009.

It may yet be interesting, I'll agree there. Part of my apprehension is I had simply assumed they would just have Ben Cross from Star Trek 2009 if they were going to introduce Sarek (we had rumors of Amanda Grayson in Discovery, so I assumed that meant Sarek, too). Part of it is that it makes the universe a bit small. I wouldn't mind referencing Sarek, but why couldn't we get a new Vulcan character? Like Soval's son or protege?

In any event, I am warming up to the idea that Frain will be playing Sarek. Putting the picture of him and Mark Lenard side by side, I have to agree. He does look like Lenard. It's actually a shame they didn't cast him as Sarek for Star Trek 2009. Frain would have been 38 or 39 when they were filming ST 2009, and I think Mark Lenard was 42 when he appeared in TOS. Ben Cross was much older. I think he was about 60 in 2009.

18. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

I know that, was talking about "young" Sarek.

19. TheSubCommander

Fair enough. Just clarifying.

20. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

Mark Lenard also cameo'd in Star Trek VI (IIRC, offering legal advice to the President on the issue of Kirk and McCoy's imprisonment and pending trial).

Jonathan Simpson played "Young" Sarek in Star Trek V.