S03 E21 - E2 Grading Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Hoshi's sis, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Hoshi's sis

Hoshi's sis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mods can you unpin the previous thread and pin this one please?

Next in our grading list is E2. How you would grade this episode and what are your thoughts and critisms of the episode?

2. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

3x21 – “E2”
    Tomorrow’s Enterprise is Yesterday’s

Another time travel episode yes, but one of the better ones that’s aired under B&B’s stewardship. It finally helped to confirm TnT as an item, which has been sorely needed since the nonsense at the end of Harbinger. It had some logical flaws though. I don’t really get why Enterprise, after being thrown back in time hung around the expanse for all that time when more could have been done to prevent even the initial attack on Earth by returning there, or going to Vulcan so they could have been prepared for the Xindi probe’s arrival. I also never got Lorian’s logic when he decided to steal his ancestor’s antimatter injectors because Degra was expecting Archer anyway. Furthermore, attacking their ancestors had all kinds of potential for screwing themselves up because they could have killed them, not to mention it’s just …wrong. :vulcan:

T’Pol is starting to push away from Trip again in this episode, because of the emotions he brings out in her I guess. I still thought it was sweet to have Trip show up, ready for another neuropressure session with her, only to end up confessing that he’s worried about her and only really wants to talk with her about it. Later, when T’Pol learns of Lorian, and that not only is she the mother, but that Trip is the father, her expression is priceless, again owing to actress Jolene Blalock’s skill as an actress. I imagine it would to be pretty shocking to be confronted full force with the feelings for Trip that she’s been trying to repress. And, as a result, she pushes Trip even farther away.

Trip seemed to take to being a father pretty well, even with the weird-out factor of having a son that was something like 100 years older than he was. You can tell how much it hurts him when T’Pol reacts the way she does, not only through her rejection of him, but the self image he had of himself as a father.

Meeting T’Pold was a little weird. Again I’m forced to wonder what it is with uglying up such a beautiful woman that TPTB are so fascinated with, but then I suppose 117 years isn’t exactly going to be too kind on anyone, not even a Vulcan (when 900 years old, look so good, you will not :p ). I thought it was a pretty nice touch though that her first question was about Trip. Even more interesting was her conversation with her younger self, about her feelings, and about Trip.

Lorian I have mixed feelings about. On the one hand it was nice to see the offspring of my favorite Trek couple, but on the other, he was kind of a bad son I thought. He was hard on his mother about warning Enterprise about the danger the proposed modifications posed, and made it into some kind of weird issue about if it was Vulcan that was in danger rather than Earth. :wtf: And while he half-way revered Archer, he was willing to shoot his own father and leave him stranded without even the benefit of giving them the century-old injectors to at least give them a fighting chance. And even for all his reverence to Archer for having made that promise to him so long ago, he paid little attention to Archer himself. :wtf: At least he listened to reason eventually.

After that, there were echoes of Yesterday’s Enterprise in that one had to sacrifice itself so the other could accomplish its mission. As for the question of if they would still exist or not, provided they weren’t destroyed, I see no reason why not. Lorian’s Enterprise has existed since its appearance in the past, and even though there is now a paradox because Archer’s Enterprise wasn’t transported to the past, it still caused the changes that created the paradox; hence the existence of the paradox itself is why Lorian’s Enterprise would not have simply faded away into non-existence. That’s my theory anyway. ;)

A thoroughly enjoyable episode, it ranks 8 manufactured beaches out of 10. ;)

3. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. I just wish they had mentioned this when the Trip/T'Pol baby showed up.

4. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I gave this one a 9 for several reasons:

The performances and scenes are wonderful all around.

-- Malcolm's discovery that he never marries is so poignant, especially in light of his admissions to Trip in "Shuttlepod One";
    -- Hoshi and Travis chatting about their families (tho' seeing is always better than telling);
    -- Trip and Lorian were wonderful and charming together;
    -- Once again I don't understand T'Pol's problem (of course that could be my own bias at work ;));
    -- T'Pold's meeting with Archer was a truly lovely scene and I found it interesting (and at the same time sad) that she never meets with Trip;
    -- T'Pol's meeting with T'Pold was also nice (too bad she didn't take the advice).
    -- Archer's confrontation with Lorian was a good one (he probably took over as a surrogate when Trip died, which would explain why Lorian was so determined to follow Archer's mandate;
    -- And I really like that at the end, the crew remembers their descendants.

I would have liked to see them turn up in another episode if there had been a season five.

5. angie

angie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really enjoyed this ep but I never have problems with what if eps.Lorian was one of my fav guest characters.

6. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10 I really liked Lorian and Karyn Archer and it's a favorite episode of mine.I really like the the scene where the 2 Enterprises are flying together & they tricked the alien pirates. :thumbsup:

7. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really think it's time to grade the next episode.