News RUMOR: Whittaker potentially leaving

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Relayer1, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

2. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not necessarily...

[​IMG]

3. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

It's in Daily Mail so it MUST be true (probably is). Looks like the great experiment is almost over. I really thought they would do almost anything to insure that she was the 60th anniversary Doctor.

4. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Daily Mirror and Daily Mail pushing this?
    Please! I am not believing this without corroboration from more credible sources.

5. StCoop

In what way is the Mirror not a credible source? They've been publishing completely accurate Doctor Who related scoops for years now. (And yet every time they publish a new one we get the same old lines from people.)

STEPhon IT and Captaindemotion like this.
  6. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

It wouldn't surprise me, but I'd like to see it from more sources before believing it and resuming my Idris Elba For Who campaign.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  7. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't buy it.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  8. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Cross-posting:
    Also, if there was anything at all to this, it would've been picked up by now by at least one outlet that isn't a tabloid.

DEWLine and Allyn Gibson like this.
  9. StCoop

Just out of curiously do you seriously think that every story that appears in The Mirror (or any other tabloid) is made up?

10. DigificWriter

Maybe not every story, but when you're classified as a tabloid, your credibility rating is not going to be very high.

And when the only outlets circulating your story are other tabloids, you don't got a lot going for you.

Shaka Zulu, Mister Spock and DEWLine like this.
  11. DEWLine

Exactly. This smells like a campaign of intimidation. They're saying it to force BBC and Mrs. Whittaker to make it a self-fulfilling prophecy. "We've decreed you to have quit, so announce your resignation immediately!"

Shaka Zulu and Markonian like this.
  12. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Toss the "fam" and do something else with her. But do keep her, I do enjoy her take. Best part of the show. But the rest.. Companions .. Writing.. Is rubbish.

Paul Weaver and Australis like this.
  13. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like, can't we get the opposite? Toss Chibnall, keep Jodie?

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Get rid of Chinball instead, that idiot is the problem. How much longer can the show go on for without an extended hiatus?

I always presumed they would of wanted Jodie around until some sort of 60th anniversary special in 2023 where they could of introduced a new Doctor or let the show rest. Sadly if we had a Multi Doctor story under Chinball we would have to have about 500 Doctors on screen at once because of his bollocks re-tooling of Time Lords/Doctor history.

Shaka Zulu and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  15. DigificWriter

People should stop believing The Mirror over Jodie.

16. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I just realised we only really have just under 3 years until the 60th anniversary, and if Whittaker is indeed confirmed as leaving at the end of this run that will leave just under 2 years to get a new actor settled into the roll, and possibly a new actor and show running if Chibnall goes with her, not that i have any issues with that as i have not watched the show since Chibs first season so a bunch of new faces coming up to the 60th might be just what the doctor ordered. ;)

17. DEWLine

Damn right.

Shaka Zulu and Allyn Gibson like this.
  18. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Zzzzzzz.....

Wake me up when there's a legitimate news source reporting this "scoop" and not a bunch of tabloids who love clickbait and people who keep falling for them.

Shaka Zulu and Markonian like this.
  19. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Got a push notification about this this morning, so came looking for the thread. So far, the tabloids are all reporting the same source; the BBC has refused to comment as opposed to denying it. Despite their reputations for political spin and outrage mongering, it is unusual for the British tabloids to straight up fabricate a story, and in that sense they are legitimate news sources, at least outside of politics. We Got This Covered they are not (although they are also carrying this story ;) ). A Jodie denial in interview is also easily explained by the producers intending her departure to be a surprise or a decision still pending - every Doctor says they're staying until they suddenly aren't.
    Jury is definitely still out but wouldn't be surprised if there's some truth to this.

Qonundrum, The Wormhole and Starkers like this.
  20. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Time for my heretical view, with which many of you will not agree. The Beeb should probably wrap the whole thing up in the next couple of years and then never commission another series of Doctor Who ever again. I think it's fine having a female Doctor, it's just that I think the pool of story ideas was exhausted long ago and attempts to keep things fresh haven't worked for long if at all - flashes of brilliance and then periods of absolute drivel. We could do with something completely new to obsess about. I'll get my coat...

Chaos Descending and Ar-Pharazon like this.