Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by MrPointy, May 10, 2011.

1. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    I hope they don't stretch or crop TNG for the new series. We watch all kinds of 4x3 material on our widescreen set and we don't have a problem with the bars on the side.

2. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seinfeld was cropped for 16x9 when it was remastered, and airs in syndication that way. Personally I think it looks terrible too.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Now see I've also watched these on TBS. The early seasons don't look so good, but once you get to season three you wouldn't know the difference if you didn't know it was originally done in 4:3. YMMV.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

True, but have they been released in the cropped widescreen format on home video? Not as far as I know.

5. BillJ

But it's been two-and-a-half years since it completed it DVD releases. If they had started today, we honestly don't know how they would've been released. The cropped versions looked perfectly fine on HDNet.

Like I said before... I'd like for widescreen to be an option on home video releases. Just like multiple audio tracks. :shrug:

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't mind if widescreen was included in addition to the original aspect ratio, but I'd much prefer a whole list of things before widescreen was a priority.

And, certainly those shows were released on DVD in their native aspect ratio -- those were SD releases. But if they were released to Blu-Ray, would they be the cropped versions? 1.33:1 shows I've seen on Blu-Ray so far have been pillar-boxed, not cropped. These include Star Trek, The Twilight Zone, The Prisoner, and Space: 1999.

7. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I bought the UK season 1 DVD set of Kung Fu, which I was dismayed to find had been re-formated to 16:9. It didn't even cross my mind to check the specs on the box before purchase.

Suffice to say, it looks terrible.

8. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

Since filmed TV shows are shot full-frame, you'd have to chop off the top and bottom of the original to get 'widescreen.' I don't see how that would be desirable, especially with the tight framing that's frequently employed in TNG.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The version shown on TATV, the only ACTUAL footage we have seen aired this way, does not have the apparent stretching as obvious as your efforts. Also you are not taking into account the slight difference in aspect ratios between the filmed version and aired version. Ok shoot me, but I think it looks pretty damn good in ENT.

One of my favorite shows...and I think it looks way better this way. :shrug:

RAMA

10. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Captain Captain

So that's what's required for a stretch 'n crop violation of the image to look good! Creativity! Why, thank you, I was beginning to wonder. I guess Ted Turner was also being "creative" when he colorized Casablanca back in the 80s.

Let's consider an analogy. I like strawberries. Some people may like strawberries with mustard. I don't like that, but more power to them. My problem starts at the point when these people clamor for strawberries to be made available only pre-drowned in mustard. Why don't these people decide to simply get a side order of mustard (i.e. hit the stretch button on the remote control)? Please don't spoil the strawberry experience for all the mustard haters.

And to be honest, I strongly believe that CBS is going to go the OAR route.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Agreed, although since the effects will probably be rendered in widescreen, it might make an interesting, if entirely supplementary, feature.

12. Art Vandelay

I like your style. We own all of these Blu-ray sets as well, and they're glorious, immaculate restaurations. Looking forward to the fifth and final Twilight Zone set in August! And hoping that they announce the second season of Space: 1999 soon. (When I watch this show, I always think that this is kind of what Star Trek: Phase II would have looked like.)

13. BillJ

This is where the analogy falls apart. Care to show me where anyone said it should be released in widescreen only?

I'm truly mystified by some people's stark "all or nothing" worldview.

14. Art Vandelay

^ Remastering TNG in HD is crazy expensive as it is. So expensive indeed that the cost was considered prohibitive for a long time. Doing two versions - 4:3 and 16:9 - is going to be even more expensive. Therefore, I highly doubt that CBS is going to do that, and I assume that we're only getting one version. I'd just like that version to be the proper one, please. If CBS decides to give us a choice, I'd happily be proven wrong!

15. BillJ

Since they did Star Trek Remastered in 4:3 and 16:9, it may be that broadcasters are more inclined to buy widescreen programming in Europe and Asia. Which would make a widescreen version a forgone conclusion.

16. Art Vandelay

^ I don't know... By the time a broadcaster changes it over to 16:9, CBS is probably done with it. I don't see them taking what a broadcaster created afterwards and putting it on the Blu-rays as an option. Then again, stranger things have happened. At the risk of repeating myself: I don't know...

Really, all I want is peace, happiness, cherry pie and the chance to watch TNG in HD and OAR. If they make a widescreen version available as well, that's cool. Emphasis on "as well".

17. BillJ

Why create the effects in 16:9 if they weren't offering a cropped version to some markets?

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Indeed, CBS has been showing cropped versions of Star Trek in Japan, IIRC. But I don't think they've shown up in the United States, either on home video or broadcast.

19. BillJ

Yes. And the cropped version is being shown in England on CBS Action (which I imagine is owned by CBS).

20. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

OAR and England vs USA in 10 years

That's interesting since in England it has been a very much 16:9 television viewing landscape since the 1990s when it was widescreen standard definition.

I wonder if in 10 years there will be so much 16:9 images that all older TV shows will be stretched to fill instead of pillarboxed?