Roberto Orci Not Directing Trek XIII

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by MvRojo, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

While I'd be the last person to ever call Meyer a "talented artist," I do agree that he respected the source material and treated it with care.

So I don't see anything with the common on the surface, unless it's meant as a passive-aggressive poke at Abrams and Lin.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But didn't Harve Bennett do most of the heavy lifting on the TWoK script before Meyer ever came aboard. Studying the series and doing the initial drafts of the story? Then Meyer came in and did the shooting draft and directed.

Not to discount Meyer's contributions because he did a great job. But Roddenberry and some fans were moaning about the perceived militarization of Trek. The furor over Into Darkness almost seems like a replay just with better technology available to spread "fan" unhappiness.

4. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

Wise words from Okuda.

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was a good mix between the two. Bennett already had the ball rolling but there were about eight drafts going when Meyer stepped in. He took those drafts, did a quick blitz overview of TOS episodes, came across Khan, and decided to use him for the villain.

Meyer also did an uncredited rewrite (against guild rules) to make it all happen. Also, GR leaked Spock's death, so Meyer put the fake out scene earlier in the film to the audience would think that was the death scene.

There is also a "No Smoking" sign on the Bridge set, which irritated GR to no end as well.

6. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

The producer title has become a joke, really. THE BUTLER had a whoppin 41 producer credits. Patrick Stewart was credited as "associate producer" for nothing other than showing up.

7. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This has been my point all along. "Producer" means one thing on paper, but quite another in practice. Anyone associated with a film, without a formal role, can be a producer. And it means squat about their influence on the final product. Just look at "Interstellar". Kip Thorne -- a Caltech emeritus professor -- was credited as 'Producer.' Yet the film violated numerous varieties of physical law, and left Kip's original vision flailing in the dust.

8. Ryan Thomas Riddle

The whole thing is a passive-aggressive dig at Abrams on Burnett's part, from his first tweet to Mike Okuda to his mention of Meyer respecting the material as an outsider. Okuda is the only one in the conversation being measured and reasonable.

Burnett has voiced several times his dislike of the new movies, saying he could make a better film given the money.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  9. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, about that... no.

10. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Yeah, I don't even note it in my DVD/Blu-Ray database anymore.

11. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gotta love Mike. I spent an inordinate amount of my childhood buried in Trek books penned by him and Sternbach. Great guys. :D

12. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I doubt this was Okuda's intent.

13. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

Yeah. I think that Okuda is better than that.

14. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Not Okuda's intent. Meant Burnett's. Sorry if I wasn't clearer. I edited my original post to make that more clear. :) See:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  15. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Ah. Yeah, Burnett's a piece of work.

16. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Nah, Thorne was very involved. He fought very hard for certain things to not happen like FTL travel. He had to make compromises because, y'know, science fiction blockbuster movies are still gonna have some flubbing in them typically.

17. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interstellar was pretty consistent with itself and featured lots of valid physics concepts, if not faithfully executed to reality. That's really all you can ask for in a feature film.

As for Orci's involvement, it appears that he's been pushed to the side and that his involvement will totally hinge on whether or not Lin likes the script as it is. I have no idea if this is a good thing or not.

18. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

None of us will know until the final product is released, although I am sure lots of premature judgments are already being prepared.

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like "Producer" is used to go around the guilds.

20. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

The silver lining in all this for Orci is that it's gifted him a wonderful bit of plausible deniability when you think about it. If the film succeeds, he can claim credit and vindication for his creative vision; if it fails, he can disown it and claim that it would've been a success if he hadn't been pushed to the side.