Ridiculously large ships

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Rayleo02, May 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...One might even have started off the idea that these are young versions of our heroes, so they could have adventures scaled to fit. Smaller ships, smaller feats, so that we get an Origins story that does not turn the later life achievements into letdowns.

But of course Abrams didn't want an Origins story, or a prequel of any sort.

Timo Saloniemi

2. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not as bad as the Space Show Discovery ship measurements. They "claim" it's prime but yet the spinning ship is over 700 meters long, making it more than double he length of a Connie. A ship that was supposed to be the biggest for Starfleet at the time.
    Even the Shenzhou is too big.

3. Bad Robot

Bad Robot Commander Red Shirt

This is assuming the producers even realized the scale discrepancy between their movies and established canon.

(George Kirk really saved 800 people from the Kelvin? I never caught that before.)

Where does this 750 meter figure (mentioned in the original post) come from? Is there an Abrams Trek equivalent to the published technical manuals, or perhaps an online source?

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Discovery version of the Enterprise itself looks different and is 480m.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They're rewriting everything, which is fine if your show is a Gotham-style pseudo-prequel, but for some reason they keep insisting it's the same world as TOS.
    It's actually 725m, from The ST'09 bluray extras, the movie art book, Star Trek Online and the recent updated Star Trek Encylopedia.
    [​IMG]
    Here's how the internals compare:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

saddestmoon and pst like this.
  5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nonsense. Nobody ever suggested Kirk's ship would have been big, let alone the biggest, in the TOS days. (Heck, there was even a pronounced failure to call her the "best" in any sense, although she was later credited with speed records.)

Kirk just didn't need either biggest or best to be the hero he was.

It's pretty unlikely even 300 people would have fit in the twenty identically sized shuttles we saw survive the loss. After all, we saw the interiors, plus one that left half-empty.

Probably the tired Pike just said "Ah hundred". ;)

Timo Saloniemi

6. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

i always thought he was just being dramatic. like literally, the line was inserted in ADR probably to make the scene more dramatic than a lower, more realistic number would’ve been.
    an apt description of star trek: discovery if i’ve ever heard one.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  7. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

The producers of TOS at the time said the Enterprise and other Connie ships were the largest ships of Starfleet.

8. Bad Robot

Bad Robot Commander Red Shirt

That's very interesting. I would never have expected specs on both Kelvinverse and "prime" hardware to have been made available from the same source.

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It just isn't canon because it isn't onscreen.

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

'K, maybe the topic hasn't been exhausted yet, after all, but it occurs to me that we already have a long-running thread created specifically for the purpose of talking about the sizes (be they ridiculously large or otherwise) of starships appearing in these films.

So why not let's carry on further discussion of the topic in the aptly-named Starship Size Argument™ thread, and I'll just close this one?

pst likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.