Rey in The Force Awakens (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Captain Nebula, Dec 14, 2015.

1. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Her real name is Reymond.
    Everybody loves Reymond.
    :D

Mad Jack Wolfe likes this.
  2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

According to the film's commentary Yoda was hearing it, so I would lean toward the second option.

3. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, he certainly seems surprised when he next hears it;

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not just a rumor but part of the BTS artwork as well. So, that was apparently a name in earlier drafts that was dropped for Rey.

5. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Given how powerful Rey is, I wouldn't be surprised if both her parents are force users. I don't think we've seen that before in the movies, aside from (maybe) Anakin.

Yes I definitely got that impression. The decay of the old republic even included the Jedi. I liked the episode of TCW where Yoda learns the life-after-death stuff. He has a vision of an idealized Jedi order, where Dooku is still a Jedi & all the Jedi killed in the war are still alive, and the temple isn't such a sterile military installation. It showed that Yoda, despite the Jedi training, was still feeling a lot of regret.

6. Set Harth

Anakin only had one parent, who wasn't a Force user. ( Unless you want to count the Force as a parent and call it a Force user, but even then you just get one. )

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

To be fair the movies didn't have an over-abundance of children & parents (force users or otherwise) from which to draw comparisons, so it's a pretty small sample size. Indeed, the *only* children of force users we know about are all of the Skywalker line. So far as we know--aside from the Skywalkers--every Jedi or Sith we've ever seen, no matter how powerful was born to non-force sensitive parents. For a second it looked like Maul might be an exception, but it turns out Talzin (by her own admission) isn't a "natural force user".
    So there's no reason why Rey *has* to be the child of a Jedi (or Sith.)

Small aside, but I have heard it suggested that at least part of the Jedi prohibition against coupling is as much to do with preventing the emergence of a Jedi aristocracy as it is to do with their philosophy on attachments.
    Maybe this is something that happened in the past? Perhaps even what lead to the split that caused the Sith to come into being?
    It's certainly an interesting possibility and might help lend a little a bit more credence to the idea that the Republic citizenry would believe the propaganda of Jedi corruption and power-mongering, if they had figures in their distant past roughly equivalent to the Borgias.

8. Set Harth

Perhaps significantly, when Qui-Gon in TPM is talking with Shmi about how the Force is unusually strong with Anakin, he asks who Anakin's father was.

That makes sense, but I don't recall where she admitted that. Was it in Son of Dathomir?

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

IIRC it was that Jar Jar Binks & the Temple of Doom pastiche from the 'Lost Episodes' season.

10. Set Harth

Yeah, I checked and that's it: It may help you to know, however, that I am not a natural Force wielder like the Jedi or Sith.

I was already leaning in that direction before Season 6 came out, because Talzin does a lot of amazing stuff, enough to make her look stronger in the Force than Palpatine. However, we had been led to believe that Palpatine was the strongest Force-user around at that time... making it seem a bit questionable to have someone stronger running around who wasn't even in the films. But with Talzin in a separate category it "fits" better IMO.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, "magicks" have been at the periphery of Star Wars for a while now between the Ewoks stuff, the idea of "Sith alchemy" (which seems to bridge the gap between magicks & the Force) and whatever was going on with this thing.

I suspect it's one of those things they're never going to really account for, beyond it being something mysterious other than the force at work.

12. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering they retroactively made the witch in the second Ewok movie a Nightsister....yeah, magic.

13. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

It's been awhile since I looked at this thread so forgive me if this has been mentioned but I went back to see TFA this evening and a line stuck out for me. When Kylo Ren is reading Rey's mind, he says that he sees a world of blue or a blue ocean with green islands. It seems to me that this is the clue that Rey is actually from the world that she and Luke are on at the end of the movie. Whether or not that is actually the first Jedi Temple, it seems pretty clear that she had been there before.

{ Emilia } likes this.
  14. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

That's how I read it, too. But it could just have been a vision of the future, you know? Like Luke saw Cloud City on Dagobah. I don't think it necessarily means Rey is from Luke's planet.

15. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Just means Rey's already seeing the future, but doesn't know she is. In a way, Kylo did get the information out if her, but not what he expected to find. He wanted the map, she showed him the planet.

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

"Through the force, things you will see. Other places. The future, the past, old friends long gone."

Yeah, I think it's a safe bet that Rey has been having visions of the future and that's what Kylo was picking up on.
    If it had been a place she'd already been, you'd think they would have made more of it when she actually went there.