Reusing actors and actresses in new characters

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by NervousEnergy, May 13, 2014.

1. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

2. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Its a shame the PTB didn't just go: "Oh hell with it, why don't we just cast Vaughn as Captain Archer, he's obviously up for doing as much Trek as he can get!"

:lol:

3. LOKAI of CHERON

Yes, I think Trek was fortunate to have guest stars of the calibre of Armstrong and Combs. They often elevated their given episodes considerably.

4. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just hope like hell that "they" don't cast any of the next series' regulars with previous TREK talent. I am totally against that. But I do feel very strongly about the door at least being open wide for any who want to come back for a guest spot, or even a recurring character. I'm kind of doubting there will even be a STAR TREK television series, just because CBS doesn't need it. Paramount relies on the movies alot more, in that regard ...

5. LOKAI of CHERON

I'm thinking sometime between the next movie and the fourth - provided the third is commercially successful of course. Most likely in the style of/set in the JJverse, but not necessarily connected to TOS explicitly.

I'd defenitely be up for a return to an action/adventure series of that type, with so called "depth" and character development perhaps somewhat more ancillary to the format.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

And Fionnula Flanagan and Jeffrey Combs and James Sloyan and so many more

7. CRM-114

CRM-114 Captain Captain

My issue with casting the same people over and over again in guest-starring roles is that eventually, it started to make the Trek universe seem small.

It first really became noticeable to me when Vaughn Armstrong continued to be cast in alien roles on ENT after he had established the recurring role of Admiral Forrest.

Please note I have no problem with people being cast in recurring roles at all. But it's like when the same actor is cast in seven different guest spots, it sort of narrows the diversity of the Trek universe.

The next series should be trying to find new faces, and broadening the diversity of Trek's characters, not simply retreading what had already been done.

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It is kinda interesting when they reuse actors for different roles when Hollywood is filled with tens of thousands of struggling actors who would love to play a random background alien of the week.

I guess one of the reasons is that the writers always have a specific actor that they know in mind, and then it is tried to get that one.

9. Red Omega

Red Omega Lieutenant

I always dislike reusing actors in different roles. And I think Star Trek as a whole needs to start with a clean slate. Not JJ style, but honoring the past with fresh talent in front and behind the camera.

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

But how many of them can act?

If there should be another series (please please please) having former stars and guest-stars return in minor roles would be fun. As main characters, don't know.

:)

11. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

STAR TREK re-using the same actors makes sense for too many reasons to not have it be very tempting to do so. For one, Jennifer Lien, for example wore prosthetic ears for most of the time she played Kes. As far as she knew she wasn't allergic to it. Then, all of a sudden, it came on her and so the regular usage of it had to stop. An actor having an allergic reaction to being made-up as the Alien of the Week is a real concern. Using a known talent who can reliably endure it is a really good idea.

In that same vein, when an actor's been cast as a Klingon, and given his own forehead, a cast is made of their entire head. Having that cast available for other Alien appliances on the same actor must be a huge time-saver. Also, it is harder to act when your face is buried in plastic, so somebody who can do that well is even more valuable.

Also, when you know someone is reliable and can deliver for you without holding up production, or isn't a Prima Donna, or a pain-in-the-ass, otherwise, those known-qualities are an asset to the shoot. On the other hand, it can leap someone in the audience out of the episode, to recognise an actor from another episode. So, hopefully, if you give them contact lenses and body padding, it's not so noticable. But it's a two-edged sword, reusing people, there's no doubt about that. But when you've got a schedule to keep and money's tight, you don't want any surprises, that's for sure ...

12. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Whatever works for a given show. It's a business, not a family.

13. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

I think I'm with you BillJ.

Unless they played an alien of the week type character.

We need new blood.

Depending on when the new series takes place, I'm not opposed to seeing crossover type characters though.

14. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

It can be a family, the actress hire to replace Gates McFadden during season two of TNG was choosen primarily because she was a personnal friend of Gene Roddenberry.

:)

15. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

This kind of happens in a lot of long-running shows and movies...Doctor Who (most recently with Capaldi), CSI, and films such as Star Wars and the James Bond series recast supporting roles all the time. For example Joe Don Baker, who played the villain Whitaker in The Living Daylights appeared two films later as a good guy, Jack Wade.

Heck TNG's first season had two supporting actors from Wrath of Khan in in Symbiosis.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

1967 or so:

"Hey, you know who would be perfect as Spock's father? Mark Lenard."

"No way. He played that Romulan last season, remember? We can't ever use him again."

"Too bad. I'll bet he would have been great, but I guess we'll never know . . . . "

17. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

THIS.

It's high fucking time for people to accept the new continuity, and to stop blasting it because it took some chances and made Star Trek fun again as a franchise. Besides, what if Berman & Braga don't want to make any more TV shows or do any movies connected to Star Trek? Or if the actors involved in past projects want to make sure that 'They did Star Trek' isn't the only thing they have on their tombstones?

Let's let the old Trek be in the past, and let this new continuity (with all that will likely flow from it) stand.

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And let it be noted that Xena was the third character Lucy Lawless played on Hercules. Didn't seem to bother anyone that the show had already used the same actress twice before . . . or stop audiences from embracing the character.

19. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Good point about Mark Lenard, he was also the first actor we saw in the movies (as the Klingon commander of the Amar).

20. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I understand what BillJ and others mean about small universe syndrome, and for long running viewers it can jump you out of the show when you realise its someone who played larger role in a previous series.

Two examples would be J.G. Hertzler with the pair of Klingons he played during Enterprise or Casey Biggs who was left without Warp Drive by Enterprise in the Expanse, funnily I watched this episode the other day and was thinking of this exact problem (although I will admit it was more of a jolt to see him play someone other than Damar in Enterprise than the Mentalist episode he was in).

Im going to contradict myself though and say that Jeffery Combs I would be happy to see in Trek again as I enjoyed seeing what he could bring to so many roles and I am very much looking forward to seeing J.G. Hertzler play a human in Axanar.