Resident Evil: The Final Chapter

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by marillion, Feb 3, 2017.

1. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't see anything about this here, so I thought I'd post it..

I'll admit the RE movies are a BIG guilty pleasure of mine, and not just because of Milla, though she's definitely a big part of it. I've always loved her work.

Despite the loooong wait for this, in part due to her having another kiddo, the film felt rushed.. I liked the story overall and the backstory itself, but it just felt that start to finish, there wasn't enough "meat" to it, even though it's the longest movie in the series.

Obviously, canon and continuity between movies has been of little concern, with the focus on action.. While I can see past that (this isn't Star Wars or Trek), some of the plot holes were pretty wide.

Not going into spoilers here, but I wished we could have seen some of the battle for DC... Some of it was just explained away and not very well.. I haven't looked, but it feels like their budget was slashed for this one, so some of what could have been bigger effects set pieces had to be left out.

It was good to see Ali Larter again, but I would have liked to have heard what happened to her brother and also the rest of the cast present at the end of the last movie.. Presumably killed in the battle, but who knows..

Billed as "the Final Chapter" it definitely set itself up for more. I believe I read a TV show spinoff is in the works, so maybe there will be some "continuity" there.

Overall, I enjoyed watching it and will see it again.

2. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

I love these movies as a guilty pleasure too but I didn't feel like seeing this one in the theatre.

Glad to hear that they could potentially make more.

3. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

My son is a fan, and I took him to see it. Pretty action packed. I felt we missed a movie and what happened to DC, and the remaining cast after they got there in 'Retribution'

4. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm hoping to get round to seeing it on Monday or Tuesday. I found all the first 3 movies to be pretty meh and a bit cheesy, but I really enjoyed 4 and then later the same for 5. Not that they're not particularly cheesy either, and you don't go in expecting high art, but they are an awful lot of dumb fun.

marillion likes this.
  5. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We're going to see this tomorrow. Generally, my friends and I have been entertained (only one of them has any history with the games).

6. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Just checked wiki for info and according to that, Afterlife and Retribution both had budgets of $60 and $65 million respectively.. Final Chapter was slashed to $40 million, which was only $5million more than the original was budgeted for.

It's domestic box office is $16 million so far, but overseas it's bigger, pulling in $64 million.. So at least it has recouped it's production budget and offset some of the marketing..

Love this poster that portrays Alice like an angel (of death)

Also, her daughter, Ever, who plays the Red Queen.. Dead ringer for her mom.. Pretty amazing..

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just to plug a friend's book, there's also a novelization by Tim Waggoner.

8. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll keep an eye out for that:) - I think I have most of the others.
    I enjoyed the film, but did have queries on a few bits in the film. I also felt that there could have been a film in between this and the last.

Still, if they do another, we'll be line again for it.

9. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw it the other day, :lol: yeah it was pretty bad. And indeed you could tell the budget has been cut, definitely looked cheaper than the last two. It felt like, as those movies had in parts, it needed a couple of "bosses" at times, especially in the end at the Hive. There weren't really any interesting new monsters either, zombie dogs galore again.

And yeah so what happened to Ada, Becky, Leon and Jill from the end of 5? Not even mentioned, oh who cares about them. And as you say Claire just forgets about her brother. I mean these movies have never really paid much respect to the games, but just casual who cares about core game charatcers like Chris Redfield, Leon Kennedy, Jill Valentine and Ada Wong is just lazy and lame. And even without that simply as a sequel in it's own right that's poor.

Even Wesker's role was very "is that it?" He just got shot and died. After all that. Wow.

I kept laughing to myself at numerous points too, mainly at how cheesy and badly acted a lot of it was, but also at parts where some guy joins Alice's gang and it's like yeah I'm sure he's gonna last long! :lol: