Spoilers Resident Alien (2020 SyFy)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skipper, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same thing happened with Wolverine, but in reverse. :)

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eh, do you mean you just watched Episode 10? That's the one which just aired, and seems to be the one you're talking about in the Spoiler Coded part of your post. Episode 11 comes next week.

Kraig likes this.
  3. Kraig

Kraig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry bad typing on my part, correction made.

The Wormhole likes this.
  4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If she's not a regular, they don't have to pay her for episodes she's not in.

Sharif Atkins was a guest star the first few seasons of White Collar despite being in every episode, presumably in case something better came along. But either nothing better came along or he changed his mind, and was a regular for the rest of the series.

Some actors on 24 started out as guest stars but ended up being in every episode because plans changed in the writing room.

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did like the episode, but I did not like the Asta Memory Wipe thing at all. For one, it happened way too fast and, 2, she was in a really really dark place last week. Without actually saying it, she was begging to be memory wiped. It feels like the writers took the easy way out (And also having her miss another birthday with Jay) and I think I would have wanted to see her work through the trauma. The way she was lecturing Harry I was thinking, she should have looked in a mirror.

There was some good quotes in this episode and I like the relationship building between Mike and the Jessop woman. I also thought the scene between Ben and Kate was great.

6. Amaris

Amaris Guest

They packed a lot of good stuff into this episode. Asta realizing she'd been memory wiped, and having to explain to Harry, despite his best intentions, why it's important that people feel their pain, that they work through their emotions, their grief, their fears, that it helps them grow, makes them stronger, and for the most part I agree. I also believe that just as often, pain is inflicted on people where it simply is not necessary, where societal or community intervention could save needless suffering.

Meanwhile, Harry dealing with the prospect of death is a good story to follow. He's experiencing what many of us have felt, this emotional, and physical, shock that our lives end, that our small flame that lights up its own part of the universe can and will be snuffed out at some point. It's a heavy burden to bear, and Harry simply isn't up to dealing with it, and I love the process he goes through ("I told them to deep fry the pie but they wouldn't do it!").

Officer Liv and Sheriff Mike are losing a little bit of interplay as the new investigator from Jessup gets involved. Poor Liv. She's one of my favorite characters on the show, and it seems like her niceness always puts her last. I really understand that feeling, and I'm curious to see where it goes with her.

Darcy's new boyfriend is really sweet, and cute. I sincerely hope things work out for her. She has a truly good thing, and she knows it. She deserves genuine happiness.

Mayor Ben finally admits to Kate that he's afraid of her, and their telephone scene later on is really sweet way to rekindle what made them fall in love with each other in the first place.

Harry's ultimate decision with helping Gerard end his life on his terms was absolutely heartbreaking, sweet, and funny in its own way ("will you be seeing her in Hell?"), and just re-affirms for me that this show is brilliant, that Alan Tudyk, Sara Tomko, and everyone else is just well made for their roles, all talented and interesting to watch.

A terrific episode all around, and it leaves a lot to think on.

Commander Troi likes this.
  7. The Wormhole

"No, in Heaven, I hope."
    "Of course. I get your fairy tales mixed up."
    Yeah, that was a well done scene, particularly how quickly it went from that hilarious exchange to a surprisingly touching death scene. I say surprisingly as this being a really minor character on the show, it really is surprising that the death of a character who has only been in two or three prior scenes can make such an impact. The way this show balances its serious and comedic content really is impressive and remains one of the show's greatest strengths.

Commander Troi, Kraig and Amaris like this.
  8. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't realize this season was 16 episodes instead of 10. I was watching on Peacock so I was unaware of the season being split into halves. Kept wondering when they were going to start wrapping things up.

9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Gerard gets to be symbolic of our loved ones who have passed, whether it be dad, mom, grandma, grandpa, doesn't matter, he gets to be the face of so many of our sorrows, our own emotional pain from dealing with death in our own way, and I think that's why it hits so hard. It's like the first 10 minutes of UP. We don't actually know our characters yet, but we don't have to, because they still represent the passage of time, the encroachment of death via disease, and then languishing in loneliness as we await our turn.

The writers did a very good job putting words to our emotions, and of course the actors brought it to life. Just well done.

Commander Troi and The Wormhole like this.
  10. Kraig

And the previous episode when the Harry asked Gerard "Do you like Christmas?" When Gerard said yes the doc said "Then celebrate it in June." Dark comedy at its extreme, and a bedside manner that is to the point.

Commander Troi and The Wormhole like this.
  11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was really shocked they had Harry return Asta's memory so soon, I expected that to take a lot longer.
    Ben and Kate's phone call was a nice scene.
    I felt really bad for poor Liv when Mike and the Jessup cop started ignoring her.
    Harry helping his patient to die was a really good scene with great performances from both actors and some good lines. I am wondering though, if assisted suicide is legal in Colorado, because if it's not, then I believe, legally, Harry committed murder.

Commander Troi and Kraig like this.
  12. Kraig

Didn't Harry kill the actual Dr. Vanderspeigle in the first episode? He didn't commit murder in Gerard's case. Physician-assisted suicide has been legal in Colorado since late 2016.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, he did kill the real Harry, but this was a very different context.
    Thanks for the answer about Colorado, I know that differs from state to state.

14. The Wormhole

So anyone else think it's inevitable the detective from Jessup who appears to be a love interest for Mike is going to end up breaking his heart by the end of the season?

15. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

Yup.

The Wormhole likes this.
  16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

While I liked the episode, are they carrying too many plotlines at the moment? You have the alien baby, Asta's PTSD, Sam Hodges and then cover up, the two government operatives, Darcy, and the Mayor and his wife. I'm starting to feel like I'm losing the sam Hodges plot and everything involving that as well as what Linda Hamilton's character (I don't even know her or the black guys name) is doing. The best thing this show has going for it right now is Asta's PTSD and her talk with her father was almost tear jerking.

I wonder if this cast is too big and they should trim the fat some. I love Mike and Liv, but what is it they are investigating? Maybe this show should just keep the focus on Patience. Like I said there is a lot to like about this show, but I'm starting to feel a little lost on some of the developments. Maybe this season will be better on a binge and not a 5 month break in between.

17. The Wormhole

The death of the guy Asta shot, and his connection to Sam's murder.

18. Commander Troi

Linda Hamilton's character is bloody terrifying!

Skipper likes this.
  19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Her character is definitely a highlight of the show.
    I love how when he saw how upset Asta was, her dad yelled for everyone to leave the diner, and they did without any hesitation.
    Max doing chores for Harry was hilarious, especially him beating on Harry with the hammer, and playing footrest for him.
    I don't think I've seen many people mention her before, but the nurse, Ellen, cracks me up, she's just so nasty to everyone.

20. Commander Troi

Oh yeah, Ellen's super funny! As is how much Harry hates her.