René Auberjonois has died

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by F. King Daniel, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Green

Green Commander Red Shirt

Wow. One of trek's best. Godspeed.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I have been mostly lurking on these forums, seems forever. When I learned of his death I thought of you. I remembered your username. I am glad you got to met him.

With Carrol Spinney, Big Bird and Oscar, also dying today I was thinking earlier how some celebrities I feel should effect me more than they do. Is it being desensitized there are so many as we age? Or more likely him living to long life at 85 and Seasame Street being more of a distant childhood memory. Though a very found one .

But Rene’s passing is a gut punch! Totally unexpected. I have been rewatching the show on DVR recently. Often I just skip ahead to Odo focused episodes. I was young teen when the show originally aired. Mostly a casual viewer. But even than he stood out as the most interesting character on the whole show.

Such a great loss...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Danja likes this.
  3. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

This was the first thing I had to see after coming back from the kitchen and refreshing my fb newsfeed. It's hard to express how I feel right now due to the sudden shock of the news, but I can say with certainty that I loved him as Odo, who has long been a great source of inspiration for me even if I sometimes try to deny it, and I always found him one of the best actors in the entire franchise. DS9 was my first exposure to Star Trek and Odo-centric episodes are still among my go-to ones whenever I decide to watch DS9.

RIP René, you will be sorely missed.

4. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Such sad news! :( My sympathies to his family and friends.

He always brought so much to every role he played. He will certainly be missed.

6. Nate

Nate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

RIP René :(

During the 2017 Convention in Las Vegas, my wife & I got into an elevator at the Rio & immediately after us someone asked me to hold the door before it closed. It was René & a woman I assume was his wife. The only other person in the elevator besides us four was some guy who asked “Is something going on here, what’s with all the people in the science fiction uniforms ? “ René just politely responded “Yeah, I think there might be a Star Trek convention going on. “

7. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

8. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Very sad to hear this. Rest well Rene...you will be sorely missed.

9. antinoos

antinoos Commander Red Shirt

FUUUUUUUCK... Damn... I can't... Fuck

10. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

I remember first seeing Rene on the big screen in the 1976 version of King Kong where he informs Charles Grodin that the oil found on Skull Island can't be refined, then as Clayton Endicott III on Benson. As much as I liked him as Odo on DS9, his role on Benson is what shaped my memory of him. R.I.P.

TedShatner10 likes this.
  11. picardjean-luc

picardjean-luc Captain Captain

Rene has rejoined the Great Link. #RIPReneAuberjonois, #RIPOdo

Kilana2, StarMan, kkt and 1 other person like this.
  12. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:wah:

Danja likes this.
  13. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

Very shocked and sad to hear this.

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

We first lose Nog and now Odo. It's going to be tough watching DS9 reruns on TV. I see clips on youtube from time to time with regular DS9 actors at the Las Vegas Con

Rene, Armin and Nana are typically regular attendees.

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

But I need him for my Boston Legal reunion! :(

Danja likes this.
  16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

:( Great actor and by all accounts a wonderful Human being.

Danja likes this.
  17. CommanderTrip

CommanderTrip Captain Captain

A great actor, an even better man. By far, the most interesting unknown sample I will ever know.

I remember as a kid being home sick one day, and a rerun of Benson was on, and Rene Auberjonois and Ethan Phillip's both showed up during the credits. I also remember Rene Auberjonois being in the Inspector Gadget movie (for a scene or two, dont remember much other than the movie was nothing like the cartoon I watched when I was a kid.) It was always a treat to find a trek actor out of the blue in other mainstream media.

RIP Rene Auberjonois

picardjean-luc and Danja like this.
  18. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I grieve with you.

19. Verteron

Verteron Lux in tenebris lucet Premium Member

Very sad. Seems like I only check in here these days when someone from my childhood series passes. :(

What a brilliant actor, not just as Odo but everything else too, Boston Legal, Benson, he even sang a part in The Little Mermaid! If we can achieve some measure of immortality, it's through the work we leave behind and the people we touch. Rene touched a lot.

SolarisOne and picardjean-luc like this.
  20. trynda1701

trynda1701 Commodore Commodore

Somewhere in the darkest reaches of the Universe!
    Shocked and saddened by this. Did not know he was ill. :(

Many great performances, and as Odo, as others have said, had to act through the makeup, which in this characters' case, looked especially restrictive.

RIP. Condolences to his family and friends. :(