Red Angel Theories- Post Here

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Vger23, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Vice Admiral Admiral

One of the previous trailers labelled that footage as being from a Church on Earth and had very 21st Century looking American Soldiers in the footage

Rahul likes this.
  2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored THE GENE IS GOOD NON-TRUFANS ARE EVIL! Moderator

My two cents:

The seven red bursts represent the seven seals mentioned in the Book of Revelation.

The red angels are the seven angelic heralds of the apocalypse. Their "trumpet" call is what disrupted the Enterprise's systems, because they were not yet ready to receive the word in its pure form.

At first Starfleet believes the apocalypse to represent the end of all life in the galaxy, and indeed it is accompanied by some disastrous events leading up to it, but it will be discovered that it's actually a revelation of knowledge (the other meaning of the term apocalypse) about the origins of the universe, one that ties together multiple faith's creation myths (including the African folktale mentioned by Burnham) across multiple species and bridges the gap between faith and science.

Spock has been hearing the call of these angels since childhood and is the key to understanding them. It's sort of a play off of Sybok's hearing the call of the false god of Sha Ka Ree, but with more benevolent and genuine intent. Michael is going to be a part of Spock coming to a complete understanding of the message in a bottle these bursts represent, repairing their relationship while they uncover the truth.

It fits the showrunner's intention to have this season be an examination of faith.

3. Rahul

Rahul Commodore Commodore

Wasn't there a video-feed showing present-day soldiers in that church? I'm actually quite confused about that "New Eden"/"Angel in a church" sequence. Like, was this historical footage? Are they some kind of space-Amish living in a 21st century?

4. Tuskin38

That actually sounds very plausable.

Locutus of Bored likes this.
  5. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Commodore Commodore

There's some speculation that Spock disabled the Enterprise. But then, the Angel seems to work telepathically, so perhaps it made Spock disable the Enterprise.

So, in that case, it wants to draw attention to these seven incidents, possibly for good reasons, but it wants Discovery, not the Enterprise, to do the rescues. Maybe because Discovery can make it across 30,000 light years in time, or maybe because the Red Angel wants to feed off its spore drive. This is a malevolent option, with the Angel causing disasters in order to get Discovery to fly by.

Probably not Romulans this year. Maybe some ancient civilization, or a noncorporeal entity, or the mycelial network taking form to say "Stop using me, you dolts." Or maybe it's Culber fighting with Lorca in the spirit realm in order to save people.

Deledrius, Jadeb and KennyB like this.
  6. KennyB

KennyB Rear Admiral Premium Member

Yes there is confusion on if this footage is from a historical event on Earth or a current event at the New Eden colony......the church windows match the location of New Eden but there was also something on screen saying The East Fork Presbyterian Church......on a lower screen

guyute03 and Rahul like this.
  7. KennyB

KennyB Rear Admiral Premium Member

CAN I GET AN AMEN?!!!!!!!

I kinda like that LoB!

Locutus of Bored likes this.
  8. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Commodore Commodore

We should tweet Jonathan Frakes. He'll tell us the plot to next week's episode.

9. Tuskin38

Well lots of churches have similar windows and designs. *shrug*

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

You'll get no argument from me, but I've been going on about all the Bible stuff in the show since it started. (Like noting it premiered Sunday, September 24. (The closest Sunday to the 29, St. Micheal's Day.) But nothing has have been a direct connection and not at all meant to be taken literally at all. Yet Micheal's season 1 arc has a lot in common with [his] journey in Milton. And Lorca was a messenger of sorts, passing notes through the power of fortune cookies.

So while I think you might be on to something and the idea of the heralds will probably play a role, I think specifically speaking I think the red things are really just some symbolic callback to the archangels. And they're really just some Star Treknobabbled manifestation of the crew caused by an accident with the shroom vroom, with main characters representing one of the archangels. Micheal and Gabriel are obvious, which is fine because they're the only ones identified by name in the New Testament. (Though this assumes we actually ever see Issacs again.) But we have to infer who the others are supposed to be. Raphael, the healer, is probably Culber. Tilly would be Jophiel who 'leads mankind with the gift of Beauty,' which is almost exactly what Stamets said to her in the episode. Stamets would then be Uriel, who's all about repentance and forgiveness and appreciation for the arts. Also, Uriel and Raphael worked together to defeat a fallen angel in Milton. (Like all that stuff that was going on in Stamets's subconscious at the end of the MU arc.) As far as Barchiel and Selaphiel, I got nothing. I suppose I could argue Barchiel is best represented by Cornwell, but that's a bit of a reach.

And while we're on the Bible kick, I can't help but wonder if we might actually see Pike finally live up to his namesake (Who's since been de-canonized, but whatever.) I mean, I think it's pretty self-evident why Gene (or whoever) choose the name all those years, as the show is a bunch of people traveling in search of the truth in the universe. And I think that's also why, in the TNG era, they always said 'Christopher Pike Medal of Valor' instead of just 'Pike Medal of Honor.' But St. Christopher was, of course, 'He who bears Christ across the river.' I mean, what is space but an anolog for the great river? And there's only one Jesus in Star Trek.

11. Vger23

Vger23 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah. WTF. That doesn't sound too bad.

12. CorporalClegg

Also, I'm sure young Spock's hologram morphing into a dragon is somehow relevant. I'm just not sure how. The Bible is kind of all over the place about dragons, as 'dragon' was sort of retconned in the KJV.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Kang, now with ridges Premium Member

No respect for the Canon!!!!!!! ;)

PiotrB, Hythlodeus and CorporalClegg like this.
  14. CorporalClegg

15. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

I think the red angels (not "angles" :scream: ) are some advanced species that sees humanoids as a scourge to rid the galaxy of.

Kor

16. LizStargaryen

LizStargaryen Lieutenant Red Shirt

I like your theory -- I don't do STO, so I'd forgotten all about the Iconians! This discussion's making me want to rewatch the episodes where they're mentioned -- I remember the one in DS9, but it's been a long time since I've watched any TNG.

If true, it would be a cool nod to the 24th century shows.

Unimatrix Q likes this.
  17. Nerys Myk

The red angels are the Skorr.
    [​IMG]

18. CorporalClegg

What are the Skorr?

Seven-zip.

19. Nerys Myk

Could be a related race called the Gholl.

CorporalClegg likes this.
  20. Manchester

Manchester Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don’t know what they are but I wish they’d hurry up and get to the point and get on with something more interesting.