Red Angel Theories- Post Here

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Vger23, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

So...not a whole lot of info given in S201.

But...there's a few things to nibble on:

1. Did the Red Angel effect somehow cripple the Enterprise?
    2. Are the signals designed to somehow attract local attention to a disaster or people in need? The Hiawatha was in danger and needed help...could the phenomenon be kind of like a "Mothman" effect?
    3. Is this somehow connected to the mycelium network?
    4. Could the "wipe out all sentient life" thing not be a threat from the Red Angel phenomenon, but a warning about some future occurrence? Maybe even the break-down of the network?

Post your random, unfounded theories here, my speculative friends....

guyute03 and saddestmoon like this.
  2. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

Judging by the Guillermo DelToroesque design of the angles, my theory is as follows: I have no idea!

guyute03, Kor and Vger23 like this.
  3. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

#2 is a very interesting idea.. maybe they’re not villains at all (at least in the traditional sense)

I do wonder though if they’re the ones causing issues like you point out in theory #1. The Enterprise was disabled presumably by one of the red signals. The asteroid field also seemed to start breaking up faster because of the red angel signal. Reno had survived on the asteroid for months I believe she said but when Discovery arrived to investigate the red signal she needed to be rescued.

I wonder if it’s possible the red angels are an alien race who somehow feed on being in distress? Or maybe the problems caused by the red signals are unintended side effects?

We didn’t get too much info about the red angels in the first episode. Hopefully we get more clues in the next one!

4. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

My Money is on them being Iconians, because they were known as "Demons of Air and Darkness" and their homeplanet was on the romulan side of the Neutral Zone.

I suspect the Enterprise was taken out by something similar to the iconian probe in "Contagion".

And didn't Kurzmann say something about that one theme of this season would be what travel means in the star trek universe. Smells like iconian gateways might appear.

Maybe we see how the Federation learnt about the iconians in the first place.

There could also be a connection between the red angels and the emblem of the Romulan Star Empire.

5. Vger23

I'm actually going to throw some quatloos down right now that the Red Angel phenomenon isn't malevolent in the traditional sense (like a villain, or an alien with malicious intent, etc)

saddestmoon likes this.
  6. Vger23

I'm going to say that I'm in the camp that it's definitely not Iconians, especially since TNG established that they've been extinct for a very long time.

Of course, I'm also the guy who swore up and down that there was NO WAY Lorca was from the MU...so what the phuck do I know? :lol:

KennyB and Unimatrix Q like this.
  7. The Habs Fan

I just read the synopsis of the episode at Memory Alpha and it says that Discovery bumped into the gravity well of the asteroid causing the issue. So never mind what I said above. I guess the only thing that could be considered malevolent on the red angels part is disabling the Enterprise but we don’t know too many details about that. So i’m definitely with you in that the signals/angels aren’t malevolent.

8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know what they aren't, Iconians.

There's no evidence they did that.

9. Vger23

Agree...although there is the minor issue of Spock's nightmares...!

10. The Habs Fan

Yeah sorry I corrected myself above.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Space aliens.

Daddy Todd, lurok, guyute03 and 2 others like this.
  12. Hythlodeus

well, what if the angles are just manifestations of Spock's nightmares, gaining power through the tears in the fabric of the mushroom network?

Vger23 likes this.
  13. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I don‘t have any real answer or concrete idea, but I believe the story in Burnham‘s monologue at the beginning of the episode actually dropped a couple of clues regarding the nature and purpose of the red bursts:

”A thousand centuries ago, in Africa, the Xam Abathwa tribe gathered to share a story. The tale of a girl who dug her hands in the wood ash, and threw it into the sky to create the Milky Way. And hidden there, a secret. Buried among the eternal stars was a message. An enormous letter in a bottle made of space and time, visible only to those whose hearts were open enough to receive it.“

While she‘s telling the story we actually see the same visual of the various locations of the red bursts we see later in the episode, i.e. in Spock‘s quarters at the end. So it‘s implied they are some kind of message/letter, and that Spock‘s heart was ”open enough“ to receive/understand the message. The message I guess is from the ”Red Angels“, who I suppose are an alien species living in another realm (the mycelial network, I guess).

As for the nature of the message itself, I hope it‘s a friendly one. That‘s all I got at this point. :)

jespah, guyute03 and Tuskin38 like this.
  14. Hythlodeus

what if the message is simply "So long and thanks for all the fish"?
    Im getting Babylon 5 vibes here, with the angles being Vorlons

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

My wife thinks Lorca is the Red Angel.

16. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I have no idea either, but I am excited to see where this goes. I would not be surprised if their arrival wasn't caused by the spore drive...........and ultimately maybe that's why it is finally shelved.

17. Tuskin38

That's been my theory as well.

Apparently the shroom spores reacted to the Dark Matter in the asteroids.

Rahul likes this.
  18. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The "dumb" theory, just to get it out of the way:

It's a riff on the Vorlon/Shadows conflict of B5, just with even more religious overtones.
    The "red angles" are actually the good guys, they made life spread around the galaxy and protected it or some bullshit. And there is an equivalent "demon" side as well - the nebulous black cloud monsters from the trailer. Those are evil and want to wipe out all life in the galaxy. The angles actually "warned" Spock about that in a vision, now they have to fight the demons that control some underlings (a Satanic society wanting to open a portal) in our universe, and close the rift to their universe again. The "seven" signal has no deeper meanings, it's just a sign of their battles. Good guys win. They will make a stupid "ambigous" remark about God, and it will be left to Interpretation wether that were "real" angles or just advanced aliens.

God I so hope I'm wrong.

Deledrius likes this.
  19. Tuskin38

I don't know why, this sounds great.

Hythlodeus and Rahul like this.
  20. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

It looks like this week a Red Angel is spotted on the New Eden colony and that's why the spore drive is put back in play..........to get there ASAP......many of you might recall the location pics from last May showing the church and New Eden graveyard........
    Capture.JPG

guyute03 likes this.