Rank the Terminator films

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by somebuddyx, Oct 8, 2019.

1. somebuddyx

somebuddyx Captain Captain

After watching The Terminator I agree that it is technically a much better made film overall than the sequels made after T2 but I think there are moments in T4 and T5 that I enjoy a bunch more, especially anything with Pops. I still want to rewatch The Sarah Connor Chronicles but I think I will leave it until after I watch Dark Fate.

Smellmet likes this.
  2. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really would have loved a flashback of Pops working construction on the Cyberdyne building or surfing Guns and Ammo dot com :lol:

somebuddyx likes this.
  3. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

T1 and T2 compliment each other so nicely. The difference in style and tone could also be explained by the 1980s giving way to the 1990s.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

... And this is as good a time as any to remember that, according to a 2009 article by a guy who visited the set and was allegedly privy to lots of behind-the-scenes gossip, Salvation was originally going to be much weirder:

In the original script the title Terminator Salvation actually meant something. Watching the finished film it's hard to figure out why it has that name - is it because Marcus saves Connor's life in the last minute? In the original script Serena has a bigger role than a quick cameo, and she explains the salvation element.

Marcus comes to Skynet City and finds... a seaside resort populated with humans. He sees Terminator landscapers! It turns out that Skynet hasn't been trying to wipe out humanity. It's been trying to save us.

This is perhaps the most bizarre idea in the whole script, and the one that most obviously doesn't work. It seems as though Brancato and Ferris thought people liked the Matrix sequels, as this all feels like it could be in those films. See, Serena heads Project ANGEL, which is making Hybrids (ie, Cyborgs). The reason? Skynet did a calculation and realized that humanity was going to be extinct in 200 years; the machines decided to save a few by turning them into Hybrids and wipe the rest out. It makes no sense, and is the kind of thing that makes you wonder if these guys ever even watched the previous Terminator films.

What's fascinating is that the Project ANGEL stuff lasted well into production. While I was on set I was given a security badge that gave me access to all the stages; it had Project ANGEL's logo on it. While being given a tour of pre-production artwork we were told more about Project ANGEL and the role it would have in the movie, a role that's completely removed from the final film. At the time I visited the set it seemed like Serena was going to show up in person at the end of the movie, just as she does in the script, and I saw artwork depicting that.​

... And now, a decade later, I find that I'd kind of like to see that movie. It could have been as disastrous as it sounds, but, hey, it still doesn't sound any worse than Genisys was.

somebuddyx likes this.
  5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

"You are so badass, T1!"
    "Your liquid metal scenes were so cool, T2 you sexy thing!"

somebuddyx and ALF like this.
  6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, that is nuts. I'm kind of surprised they have even considered something that was so completely opposite of what the movies had established up to that point.

7. thribs

thribs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2, Genysis, 1, 3, Salvation

I’ll see where Dark Fate fits later today.

somebuddyx likes this.
  8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, you are the first person I've ever seen who ranks Genysis that highly.

9. Gaith

Aye, it's crazy, but there's a certain sense to the madness: once you reach the post-Judgement Day future, there's really nowhere for the story to go. Or, at least, there's only one place to go, and that's the final assault on and victory over Skynet. Of course, once you do that, then you're well and truly done. No more sequels!

10. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

And above the original no less.

11. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

That crap made it all the way to filming, Helena Bonham Carter actually did shoot her Skynet scenes with Marcus before they abandoned the third act.

Oh, they've seen them...and some of them (the writers, no less) actually have open disdain for them.

12. Foxhot

Foxhot Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If only.

Which ones in particular? I'd be very curious to see what those idiots have to say.

13. Tosk

From one of the writers of T3 and T4...

On T2:
    Eight years later I stood in line at the Cinerama Dome for the opening night of "T2: Judgment Day." For all the cool digital morphs, the movie was a sprawling mess, bloated and self-important. On multiple levels, it was a betrayal of the original. I couldn't stand it.

When brought back to write T4:
    The dynamics of the war with the machines seemed dull to us, as did John Connor, whom we kept a peripheral character. (If you think the character is dull, then write him as more interesting.)

http://johnbrancato.blogspot.com/2009/10/how-to-beat-twice-dead-horse.html

It's quite an interesting read. Part behind-the-scenes info, part "I'm a good writer, all the bad movies I've written are the fault of other people!" essay.

Funny thing to note, one aspect of the T3 script they first whipped up...

See, after the first two pairs of terminators were sent back from 2029 for the first two movies, JC revealed himself to be evil-- a Skynet deep-cover agent. He destroyed/will destroy the human resistance from within.

They kept trying to make this happen. First in Salvation (same writers), where Marcus was to receive John's face and then kill everyone. (Thankfully changed when leaked and the internet became outraged enough to scare the filmmakers.) And then in Genisys (different writers) where John becomes a Terminator.

14. Gaith

^ Wow, fascinating blog post; I hadn't known of that before. To be clear, Brancato (I believe and will assume it's indeed him) is only dismissive of T2; he clearly respects T1, which is a valid (if wrong) perspective. And it does make sense, I suppose, that the writers of The Game would come up with an absurdly convoluted plot for T3. It sounds as though they really tried to bring a unique spin to the franchise, but were utterly wrong fits for the assignment from the start.

I fail to see why Carter showing up in person is any dumber than appearing as a visual AI and having a Skype conversation with Marcus...

15. Tosk

It's not dumber, it's equally dumb. :)

But I hate it more because it was part of a much larger chunk of movie, the aforementioned "Skynet nuked the planet to save humanity/hybrid Terminators living in a nice Pleasantville town/Marcus gets John's face, kills everyone" third act.

16. Gaith

Fair enough!

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

C##l is so much more endearing than P##s.

Although 5 understands what a killbox is.