Quark's root beer analogy of the Federation

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Ragitsu, May 3, 2022.

1. Ragitsu

Ragitsu Commodore Commodore

At the very least, powers in a position to bargain - powers that aren't completely amoral or immoral, mind you - will insist via political influence that their partners hold themselves to certain moral and/or ethical standards. Remember that there are requirements a civilization must meet before they are granted Federation membership.

2. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Wait, DS9 is one of the older Trek series now?

Sigh.

3. Ragitsu

Time: frequently in motion and rarely at rest :p.

4. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

In real life? Colonized peoples.

Yup. And the Federation will attempt to get your civilization to start meeting those requirements whether you like it or not. ;)

Just ask the Ferengi -- less than 15 years after regular first contact with the Federation and they started implementing all sorts of Federation-inspired policies! Or the Klingons -- the last two Klingon Chancellors were installed by Federation citizens!

Does that make the Federation bad? I don't think so. But this is very distinctly a choice on the Federation's part and it's a choice that comes with certain costs, and one of those costs is that every culture that acclimates itself to Federation principles loses some of its distinctiveness and becomes at least a little bit homogenized towards UFP values. Worlds do have agency in this, but this is still a choice the UFP is making and it does have costs. This is a form of diet cultural imperialism and it should be acknowledge as such.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is older today than Star Trek: The Original Series was when Deep Space Nine premiered.

5. Ragitsu

I'm not entirely sold on this whole "loss of culture" thing in terms of its (purported) severity. My experience with real life has taught me that isolation and, by extension, stagnation, isn't desirable in the long run. Now, does this mean that a nation should necessarily jump into bed with the first stranger that bats their eyes? Of course not. My ultimate point is that there ways in which one - an individual or civilization - grows that cannot be substituted; mixing with other cultures is a pertinent example.

Picture that scene where Dukat is in Sisko's office; would it have had the same impact if the cocksure Cardassian had played with a golf ball? How about a birdie? Hm...a cricket ball sounds like it would've worked.

6. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why must you say this? This is just mean.

7. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Well, it shows that DS9 has stood up to the test of time. And surprisingly well, too.

8. Ragitsu

Yeah: Vreenak can hang with the best of our contemporary memes.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is no loss of culture.

As has been pointed out before, individual Federation member worlds are left to run their own local affairs, and keep their individual cultures and traditions, as they see fit. All they are required to do is keep to Federation law, which is limited to two things:

1) one world government is required
    2) caste-based discrimination is banned.

Apart from that? Planets can pretty much do whatever the :censored: they want. I'm not seeing any loss of culture here.

Ragitsu and McCoy's Disco Collar like this.
  10. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Maybe a few other things. Slavery, for instance. And I doubt gender discrimination like what Vissian cogenitors face would be welcomed.

Commander Troi likes this.
  11. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

If your world was hosting the Orion Syndicate, expect the Federation to either deny your entry to the Federation or try vigorously to eradicate it. Even if extortion and murder are just life in the big city in your culture.

Ragitsu likes this.
  12. Ragitsu

Update ->

I highly recommend "River City" brand root beer; not only does this drink pack an old-timey punch, but - best of all - it doesn't taste artificial!

Kor and somebuddyX like this.
  13. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Henry Weinhard's for me. Plus a local brewery.

14. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

I'm not sure I agree with Quark but it's a very nice conversation between those two.

kkt, Commander Troi and Ragitsu like this.
  15. Ragitsu

Imbibe the Human Drink (Quark's implication and not my own, but he may be onto something...) and you too shall be indoctrinated.

16. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

My local brewery, Devil's Canyon, makes a great root beer. Weinhard's is also good when I'm too lazy to drive up there.

Ragitsu likes this.
  17. Nabbers

Nabbers Cadet Newbie

Probably just because I grew up on it, but I love the A&W that you get from the restaurants. When I was a kid, they were drive ins, and you got them in a frosty glass mug. Pretty sure they used real sugar at the time. Not sure if they still do, because I don't go to the restaurants much any more now that they're just another typical chain fast food joint. But the bottled stuff was always just an imitation at best. Still something I'll drink on occasion. Strikes me as weird that someone would hope it to taste like Dr Pepper - thats stuff is basically carbonated Robitussin. :ack:

Ragitsu likes this.
  18. Ragitsu

I vastly prefer it to anything canned, but there seems to be a slightly artificial aftertaste.

The taste depends on three factors.

1. Cane sugar versus high-fructose corn syrup.
    2. Natural flavors versus artificial flavors.
    3. Glass bottle versus aluminum can.

Interestingly enough, Quark always serves his drinks in glass; I have a feeling Tom Paris would replicate a metal container if he felt its presence would serve "authenticity".

19. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Some flavors, both natural and artificial, can be thrown off by being too old. Make sure the root beer stock gets rotated.

Ragitsu likes this.
  20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's funny that you mention this. My dad was just commenting on loving A&W and the root beer floats. I personally enjoy A&W in a pinch but prefer bottled root beer, as well as Dr. Pepper.

Nabbers likes this.