Prologic9's U.S.S. Bombay (TOS Miranda class from ST:Vanguard)

Here's my version of the ever elusive 'TOS-era Reliant.' I've been working on this off and on for about a year now, and it didn't even star out as the 'Bombay' as I hadn't read the Vanguard series yet.

(update, I had to run earlier)

About the design (real world)

Overall I tried to stay as close to the base structure of the TWOK design as possible. Much like the Refit to the original Enterprise the shapes, proportions, and layout are 'close enough' to let the audience believe they could be the same ship.

Getting into the details, I looked at influences Matt Jeffries used on the 1701 and tried not to stray too far. WWII era planes, various nautical elements, art deco flourishes.

(Fictional)

I don't spend too much time worrying about what this or that does, but I come up with a general idea of things to help the design process. After reading the first ST: Vanguard novel, and seeing how much the Reliant model got reused in 'Trek, I came up with the idea that the Miranda class would have been intended as a Jack-of-all-Trades design.

One ship can't do everything, but if equipped with the right accessories it can excel at anything. Speed, offense/defense, diplomacy, cargo, settlement, transportation, salvage. Etc. etc. The only drawback is that it wouldn't be viable for long term missions like the Constitution class, the design is... reliant on a home base. :guffaw:

This particular configuration is centered around speed, sensors, and transportation. It's roll-bar pod features it's own internal Anti-Matter Power that feeds the built-in Impulse Engines and the full size Deflector Dish (because when you go faster for longer periods of time, you need better deflection).

Further, the warp nacelles can be pushed harder and longer than a Constitution's, but experience extensive wear and tear. The Bombay would rotate out multiple pairs of nacelles to allow maintenance be done at Vanguard while the ship continues its duties.

Finally, large Tranporter Emitters (why did I stop italicizing?) on the undercarriage allow for large, simultaneous transports safely. Ideal for all kinds of shit.

There are also lots of little squares and stuff.

Pictures;

It's a nice design, but the top doesn't really fit the TOS design aesthetic. It looks almost unfinished - like the external housing for the bits behind the deflector dish is missing.

The design is swell and the work is tremendous. I like it a lot. My question, regarding the "ever elusive TOS-era Reliant"... have you rejected the Surya/Coventry designs?

I always thought they were fine TOS-era Reliant designs.
And now yours too is excellent. I love 'em all.

That is one seriously beautiful ship.

I love the inclusion of a deflector dish, it certainly avoids the "where is it?" debate.

Impulse engines on the roll-bar is a cool touch, but no reason they couldn't be between the hangar bays, like the refit.

Awesome. That is just wicked cool ace and whatever all the hip words the youngsters may use nowadays. Simply put: Love it!

It's a nice design, but the top doesn't really fit the TOS design aesthetic. It looks almost unfinished - like the external housing for the bits behind the deflector dish is missing.

I see your point. I still love this though. The only thing I don't understand is the sticky-outy pointy orange thing at the back of the roll bar. Looks like a weather cock.

This is a stunning ship- the images are superb quality too

-Eric Idol voice- Hurry, hurry, hurry, rush right on down and test drive latest models with no obligations!
New and improved Miranda is a sleek, sexy import, with turbo handling!:D

I'd so love to see that made for Poser or Daz.:cool:

Amazing work. I'm shocked to see something that could go so wrong so quickly (most people would bash together parts of a Connie mesh) turns out to be one of the most amazing designs I've seen on here lately! It's a Miranda alright, it's TOS alright.

I can totally see a scene with this model in a drydock, parts of the hull open, nacelles missing, movie-era Miranda nacelles being towed into place. Basicly the refit of the Miranda, would make for some great art!

I would suggest rotating the aft dish antenna device around 90 degrees. the reason is that every time I see it as it is, it looks like a cannon off of an X-Wing.

Am I the only one...?

--Alex

No, I see your point. They do look a little like the cannons from an X-Wing.

I have to wonder why the registry is 1806, when the registry for the Miranda to my knowledge is either NCC-1830 or NCC-1833, depending on the source? Or am I to assume that the Bombay was converted from a later run of the Coventry class?

I have to wonder why the registry is 1806, when the registry for the Miranda to my knowledge is either NCC-1830 or NCC-1833, depending on the source? Or am I to assume that the Bombay was converted from a later run of the Coventry class?

I mostly picked it because I liked the way it looked, and made reasonable sense.

Last edited:

As to the bits directly behind the deflector dish, you're right that it doesn't quite work. When you look at just that part and the dish (like when I'm building it) it looks great. But I've tinkered with it again and again and just can't get it to look right with the ship as a whole. I'll replace it in time, but whatever goes there will still be "exposed."

The structure as a whole, I call it the 'Deflector Engine' because I'm that clever, is highly reminiscent of the engine pods from a Boeing B17. This is the plane Matt Jefferies flew in WWII. There are several details from the B17 that he lifted almost verbatim for the Enterprise, and the Warp Nacelles were heavily influenced by these same engine pods. The rear area, with the fanned metal cone, is based on the Boeing B36.

What's interesting here is that none of this was done purposefully. I knew I wanted the deflector dish area to look like a plane's propeller engine, but I wasn't aware of the Boeings specifically until after the fact. Looking at their similarities now is kind of fascinating.

Here's an image showing some comparisons;

Welcome back old friend! We are already thinking that you´re out of this virtual world. :)
I believe your interpretation for the TOS REliant is the best that I ever seen. I can´t imagine a better version. Well executed! :techman:

Absolutely brilliant piece of work there. Dare I say, but it looks more beautiful than the refitted Miranda class. :)

Just a note about the registry number though, the later novels Declassified and Storming Heaven give the Bombay's registry as NCC-1926.

Wow...this is like...REALLY fracking nice! Probably one of the best - if not THE best - TOS Reliant conversions I've ever seen. Even the renderings look like it was a screencap of a TOS episode - you got the lighting, coloring and component dimensions absolutely dead-on.

Prologic9 - I REALLY want to put this in the SSDB when you're done with it, if you're okay with that, and if you ever produce orthos of the finished design.

I seriously can't take my eyes off this thing...

The only thing I've found that even comes close to this is the Copernicus from the Phase II production.

Back