Prologic9's U.S.S. Bombay (TOS Miranda class from ST:Vanguard)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Prologic9, Mar 19, 2012.

1. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

It's a nice design, but the top doesn't really fit the TOS design aesthetic. It looks almost unfinished - like the external housing for the bits behind the deflector dish is missing.

2. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The design is swell and the work is tremendous. I like it a lot. My question, regarding the "ever elusive TOS-era Reliant"... have you rejected the Surya/Coventry designs?

I always thought they were fine TOS-era Reliant designs.
    And now yours too is excellent. I love 'em all.

3. Sarvek

Sarvek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Do you have line drawings and/or orthos of this ship? She is truly amazing. :techman:

4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

That is one seriously beautiful ship.

I love the inclusion of a deflector dish, it certainly avoids the "where is it?" debate.

Impulse engines on the roll-bar is a cool touch, but no reason they couldn't be between the hangar bays, like the refit.

5. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's really sweet.

6. mirandafave

mirandafave Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Awesome. That is just wicked cool ace and whatever all the hip words the youngsters may use nowadays. Simply put: Love it!

7. Today

Today Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

super work as always, good to see you modeling again!:mallory:

8. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the correct term is "cat's pajamas!"

9. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I see your point. I still love this though. The only thing I don't understand is the sticky-outy pointy orange thing at the back of the roll bar. Looks like a weather cock.

This is a stunning ship- the images are superb quality too

10. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

-Eric Idol voice- Hurry, hurry, hurry, rush right on down and test drive latest models with no obligations!
    New and improved Miranda is a sleek, sexy import, with turbo handling!:D

I'd so love to see that made for Poser or Daz.:cool:

11. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Amazing work. I'm shocked to see something that could go so wrong so quickly (most people would bash together parts of a Connie mesh) turns out to be one of the most amazing designs I've seen on here lately! It's a Miranda alright, it's TOS alright.

I can totally see a scene with this model in a drydock, parts of the hull open, nacelles missing, movie-era Miranda nacelles being towed into place. Basicly the refit of the Miranda, would make for some great art!

12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Lovely artwork!

13. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I would suggest rotating the aft dish antenna device around 90 degrees. the reason is that every time I see it as it is, it looks like a cannon off of an X-Wing.

Am I the only one...?

--Alex

14. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, I see your point. They do look a little like the cannons from an X-Wing.

I have to wonder why the registry is 1806, when the registry for the Miranda to my knowledge is either NCC-1830 or NCC-1833, depending on the source? Or am I to assume that the Bombay was converted from a later run of the Coventry class?

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I think he picked a number he liked considering the Miranda has no canon NCC number. In fact, the lowest number for a canon ship is the Lantree at 1837, so the Bombay is right in line.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Miranda_class

16. Prologic9

Prologic9 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I mostly picked it because I liked the way it looked, and made reasonable sense.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  17. Prologic9

Prologic9 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

As to the bits directly behind the deflector dish, you're right that it doesn't quite work. When you look at just that part and the dish (like when I'm building it) it looks great. But I've tinkered with it again and again and just can't get it to look right with the ship as a whole. I'll replace it in time, but whatever goes there will still be "exposed."

The structure as a whole, I call it the 'Deflector Engine' because I'm that clever, is highly reminiscent of the engine pods from a Boeing B17. This is the plane Matt Jefferies flew in WWII. There are several details from the B17 that he lifted almost verbatim for the Enterprise, and the Warp Nacelles were heavily influenced by these same engine pods. The rear area, with the fanned metal cone, is based on the Boeing B36.

What's interesting here is that none of this was done purposefully. I knew I wanted the deflector dish area to look like a plane's propeller engine, but I wasn't aware of the Boeings specifically until after the fact. Looking at their similarities now is kind of fascinating.

Here's an image showing some comparisons;

[​IMG]

18. Starship

Starship Captain Captain

Welcome back old friend! We are already thinking that you´re out of this virtual world. :)
    I believe your interpretation for the TOS REliant is the best that I ever seen. I can´t imagine a better version. Well executed! :techman:

19. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

Absolutely brilliant piece of work there. Dare I say, but it looks more beautiful than the refitted Miranda class. :)

Just a note about the registry number though, the later novels Declassified and Storming Heaven give the Bombay's registry as NCC-1926.

DEWLine likes this.
  20. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Wow...this is like...REALLY fracking nice! Probably one of the best - if not THE best - TOS Reliant conversions I've ever seen. Even the renderings look like it was a screencap of a TOS episode - you got the lighting, coloring and component dimensions absolutely dead-on.

Prologic9 - I REALLY want to put this in the SSDB when you're done with it, if you're okay with that, and if you ever produce orthos of the finished design.

I seriously can't take my eyes off this thing...

The only thing I've found that even comes close to this is the Copernicus from the Phase II production.