Primeval: Canada

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by NrobbieC, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do you think Connor is from the future, or an alternate timeline?

"Cross' was able to build an empire from reverse engineering one of the ARC's hand units, and even if the technology was advanced, it still wouldn't be so futuristic as to be a game changer without someone claiming foul, unless it literally was futuristic.

2. NrobbieC

NrobbieC Commander Red Shirt

The ARC has/had access to future technology itself. The technology could easily be from the future without Connor being from the future. Unless the whole premise of New World is Connor going back in time to fix something. I wonder if the ARC person in deep freeze is a familiar face?

3. Guy Gardener

Why isn't Connor dealing with the Arc rather than winding up this monkey to play out his master plan?

Either what is happening is so unimportant that the ARC thinks that it is a one man mission or, someone stood on a butterfly in Dinosaur times and there is no ARC any more, or he's tripped back in time a couple years before the confluence and is just trying to keep on top of things he's responsible for...

Are we sure this is setin the present day?

OH GOSH!

Antiprimedirective!

They've figured out how to go cross time safely and they're making sure that other universes have the tools to survive the confluence?

4. NrobbieC

Anything's possible at this point.
    To be honest I never really thought too much about that, I just assumed he was on ARC related business and obviously not the first/alone because of some reason that'll be revealed later on.
    Actually most of my thoughts were about how boring the actors were :P

You know what, since this is Primeval - somehow this all Helen's doing.

5. Guy Gardener

Is "Predator Control" real?

I can understand vermin control, dealing with road kill, or possums, possibly wolves... Those buggers are armed with a spade.

What was predator Control armed with?

A compressed air rifle that shot tranquillizer darts?

I doubt they could handle a raccoon armed that sort of gear.

6. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Better than the original ARC team... They often ran headlong into dino-infested danger with nothing but their clothes on their backs. Seriously, I remember an early episode when the team leader went to investigate an anomaly wearing jeans and t-shirt.

Mark

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah... I always thought it was bizarre that in the first season, when Cutter's team was just this sort of makeshift operation run out of the Home Office, they always had extensive military backup when they took on the dinosaurs -- yet when the timeline was altered at the start of season 2 and they were suddenly part of this massive organization called the ARC, the core team nonetheless did everything on its own without a trace of backup.

8. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's kinda like the original, but with one step removed.

The original pushed the reset button and things turned to shit, forcing them to redirect resources to recover from that.
    Here we have a spin-off which looks like shit and has to make it onto solid ground first.

9. NrobbieC

ARC had soldiers, the team just never wanted them.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Which is exactly my point. In the first season, they constantly used soldiers as backup even though they were just a small group of consultants. But in the second, they were part of a massive organization with a bunch of dedicated soldiers working specifically for them -- and they never bloomin' used them!! It was idiotic. I can see the storytelling reasons for wanting the protagonists to carry more of the burden of facing danger on their own, but if that was the writers' and producers' intention, then why create the ARC in the first place? Why give them more resources at the exact time you decided to show them using fewer resources? It never made any sense.

11. Guy Gardener

It was a health and safety issue.

As long as the soldiers are there on offer, it's a personal liability for the core team if they run afoul, and not a new burden tot he state.

Everything boils down to insurance.

besides.

Just because there's an anomaly, it doesn't mean that there's a dinosaur. I'd be more worried about different pressure systems or under water 2 million bc flooding the shit out latter day London. Imagine the consequences if an anomaly opened just high enough up to be in space?

12. NrobbieC

This drove Lester mad, hence why Beckett was brought in as a permanent presence on the team. Everything daft was to wind him up and everything bad was Helen's doing :P I haven't watched season 1 in so long, this needs doing. Sadly the spin-off made me miss Primeval instead of feel like it was back. I might watch a few more episodes, see where it's heading. At least the lead guy's good.

13. Guy Gardener

The sexy bloke from season one and two who was shaggin' Helen behind Cutters back, he was abig game hunter, and had a couple elephant guns in the lock box on his truck, meanwhile Abby being a Zoologist was usually a few steps away from a tranquillizer rifle at most times.

Though season one as we know it didn't happen to these people.

the Arc or something like it was there in season one retroactively after the timeline changed.

Only Cutter and Helen had first hand experiences with the original timeline, and they both sort of died

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  14. NrobbieC

Helen's evil plans will never die

15. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

16. Guy Gardener

Okies.

Episode 2 was much better.

They still have a billionaire industrialist walking around like he's an assistant manager at radio shack, but now that everyone isn't so assforward explaining who they are and what they do it's less awful. Still awful, but really a hell of a lot less awful.

Project magnet remains a barrel of monkeys.

You remember Doctor Who form the 70s when he hung out with UNIT?

(Pretend you do.)

imagine they were still around today but lost their funding in 1974, and never leveled up or had a face list there after god bless their little cotton socks.

Serious!

Rotary dial telephones!

No Connor this week.

ODD?

Shit.

Andrew Lee Potts is only listed as being in on out of the first 8 episodes.

Lets hope that when the shit hits the fan that both Connor and Abby arrive to save the day for the final five episodes.

The dinosaur was barely on camera this week.

It's almost like they blew all thie money on the pilot and the rest of the season is going to be off camera, scary noises, seeing throiugh the dinosaurs eyes, and exposition.

Real world thoughts.

Amanda tapping is producing this while she's working on Supernatural asa na actress... Is the paycheck of a semi regular on Supernatural enough to bank roll an entire season of Primeval New World?

:)

(IMDB says I'm way off, that she's not even a producer.)

17. Guy Gardener

"GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY!"

Episode 3 was actually good.

Maybe as good as an episode of season 3 or 4 Stargate Atlantis.

(The first episode I thought had been directed by Ed Wood. This is a significant improvement.)

Starts off, they had one of the girls running around in her underwear trying to get the sleep out of her eyes after crashing on the couch in the office as everything went to hell.

Gratuitous, but nii-iice.

They brought a new girl who like machine guns and motor cycles into the story line too... From how they talked about her, she might have been in the back ground during episode one and two and she looked like wallpaper.

There was an interesting sciency problem with altitude that they couldn't get back home because the anomaly was 30 feet up in the air.

Funny.

Carnivorous bugs.

Millions of them.

And a big one trying to breed with the humans by stuffing them with eggs deepthroat-style.

18. Guy Gardener

Okies, this show is getting quite good.

Sanctuary level good.

I stand by the fact that the pilot was awful, but developments are afoot.

2 weeks ago, the government started lying to our adventurers and stealing dinosaurs they were supposed to be sending back through anomalies.

ARRRGH!

2 days ago, one of the adventurers got eaten. A minor recurring character, probably on par with kieko O'Brien or Doc Cottle. She'd been in half the episodes, like Lucy trying to get on stage with Rikki, and we'd seen her have sex in the shower, so I felt a connection, but that's just me.

So yup.

Full of surprises and no one is safe.

Oh. And there was a hint that the time timeline has already be changed and the lead guy "Cross" is already living in foreign universe which is why he's so adamant about getting the dinosaurs back into the past when the other guys are trying to put bullets between their eyes.

Yes.

Bullets.

FINALLY!

19. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

And then this thread died.

I just saw this in SFX and thought I'd check it out. Interesting.

No one said it was created by Judith & Garfield Reeves Stevens, who are responsible for some of the better Trek novels as well as the final season of ENT. The stories have more, I dunno, consistency, but don't reach as far. Connor isn't in it enough to give it actual dinosaur verisimilitude, which was an aspect of the original I preferred. We aren't getting a sense of actual epochs, even though the terror birds can be narrowed down to the Cenozoic. The creature effects in the first ep were a little ropy but they improved quickly.

Oh, interesting tie back to TOS, as well as Connor.

Cross was rescued by someone from the ARC, who lost his life, and Cross has preserved his body as well as building an anomaly detector from the broken one the soldier had.
    The cast is not bad, and it will be interesting to see where it goes.

20. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Cutter didn't want the various besties killed just herded back though the anomalies, so in many ways the military was just there to police the people.