Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I knew they had some colonies, I'd just never really seen much French influence outside of New Orleans and French speaking Canada. I didn't know any of that you said about Asia or Africa though.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Which just goes to show how grossly negligent American schools are at teaching world history. I'm astonished they didn't at least teach you about French Indochina and all the colonialist crap that culminated in the Vietnam War.

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Well if you order a Vietnamese Sandwich "Banh Mi" a part of it was influenced by the French colonization

Beast Morpher casting news

http://news.tokunation.com/2018/09/19/power-rangers-beast-morphers-additional-cast-announced-55792

No clue who they'll play

Abraham Rodriguez is the character “Nate“.
    Colby Strong is the character “Blaze“.
    Cosme Flores is the character “Ben“.
    Kristina Ho is the character “Betty“.
    Liana Ramirez is the character “Roxy“.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  4. Christopher

Well, whoever took those pictures really wanted the women to have an "anime eyes" look.

Looks like the supporting cast will be rather young-looking, which suggests they're doing something different from the "Special Missions Unit" of Go-Busters. I hope it isn't another high school setting, because Ninja Steel has soured me on those.

5. Samurai8472

Lupiranger VS patoranger episode 32

https://www.mp4upload.com/m1nt9sdbqd84

Kamen Rider Zi-O episode 3 and 3.5

https://www.mp4upload.com/bozm96mlm0cb

https://www.mp4upload.com/utyehukrga37

Haven't had a chance to watch the latest episode of LVP.

As for Zi-O. No time travel at all from our main cast but Woz did go to 2016.I'm expecting the 2nd part to have time travel involved. It was nice to see Sougo go about his day while two time traveler watch over him. Glad they didn't have the other two actually go to highschool.

Interesting Geiz can speak German. He also lost a loved one. I hope it's not another girlfriend. With EX-Aid that's 3 years in a row with dead girlfriends

6. Christopher

Pretty big LvP episode. Keiichiro is starting to realize what it is the Kaitou are fighting for, thanks to Noel's admission. I wonder who it is that Noel lost. The climactic monster battles just keep getting more and more cluttered with CGI. The Every-Vehicle-At-Once Kaiser is just ridiculous-looking, way too cumbersome.

As for Zi-O, I think a lot of it is going to be lost on me until I start catching up with other KR series. I know a bit about Ex-Aid thanks to the crossover with Build, but I'm sure a lot of what's ahead will be confusing.

I don't see how Geiz and Tsukiyomi can get away with loitering on school grounds all day and peering in windows without drawing attention from the faculty. I doubt that story point can be sustained long. It might be fun if they actually have to enroll in classes and do the work.

Also, how is it that Geiz already has the Ghost and Drive powers? Does that mean we won't get episodes visiting them, since their powers were already taken?

I was more interested in the bit of historical trivia that German (or Doitsugo in Japanese, i.e. "Deutsch language") was the standard language used by doctors in Japan for some time. That's not even just a Japanese thing -- I remember reading in some of Isaac Asimov's science essays that German was pretty much the default scientific and medical language in the 18th-19th century or thereabouts.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I honestly don't think I ever learned about the Vietnam War in school. Now that you mention it, I do remember something about the French in the beginning of that one that Mel Gibson (I think) Vietnam movie, but that's as far as my knowledge there goes.

8. Samurai8472

Just did some googling and yep

https://www.justlanded.com/english/Japan/Japan-Guide/Health/Medical-treatment

9. Christopher

Today's Super Ninja Steel episode had some interesting Sentai connections. It was based on a Ninninger episode that featured a guest appearance by Jiraiya, the title character of a 1988 show in Toei's Metal Heroes series, Sekai Ninja Sen Jiraiya. (He shares the name Jiraiya with Kane Kosugi's Kakuranger character, who was the model for Ninninger's StarNinger, who in turn was the basis for Levi on Super Ninja Steel.) The Power Rangers version was called Space Sheriff Skyfire, seemingly an homage to the various Space Sheriff series in the Metal Heroes franchise, even though Jiraiya was not one of those. Incidentally, the 2015 Ninninger episode this was based on featured a cameo appearance by Dino Charge's Yoshi Sudarso, in which he played a tourist rescued by AoNinger, the counterpart of the character his brother Peter Sudarso would later play on Ninja Steel!

Meanwhile, "Sheriff Skyfire" featured a weird storyline where the Rangers got upset that the school's security guard was about to quit because the students were all such jerks to him, and they tried to convince him to stay because the school wouldn't be the same without him, which would've worked a lot better if we'd ever seen the character before today. Although we've certainly heard his voice before, since he was played by the actor who does the voice of Redbot (Byron Coll), and he sounded exactly the same in both roles.

Anyway, this was an episode where it was easy to tell when they switched from American to Japanese footage, because the climactic battle with the monster (before he was gigantified) was in an outdoor amphitheater I recognize from Lupin VS Pat and another Sentai show or two.

Also, my new accidental strategy of forgetting the show is on, watching it later on DVR, and fast-forwarding past the Victor & Monty bits is still working great. ;) From what I could tell, their subplot here involved getting deputized as security guards (without having to do anything to earn it), immediately abusing their power to steal stuff by "confiscating" it, then getting caught at the end and, once again, inexplicably not getting suspended, expelled, or arrested for their blatant crimes. For that matter, that security guard that the Rangers just convinced to stay on should've gotten immediately fired for his negligence in handing out that kind of power to V&M so cavalierly.

10. Samurai8472

The one time a ninja shows up they spin it into a Space Sheriff. They could have still made Jiraya be a Space Ninja.

Here’s the ninninger clip with yoshis cameo

11. Samurai8472

Finally got around to watching the episode. Felt really nice to have the theme song integrated into the show. Looks like Keiichiro is starting to learn more about what drives the Lupinrangers to take the collection pieces. Everyone else seemed okay working together. There was no debate or anything with Kairi.

There was some really good fight choreography as well

collection pieces were all phone changers: magiranger, Boukenger gokaiger go onger and shinkenger

12. Samurai8472

Kamen Rider Zi-O episode 4 and 4.5

https://www.mp4upload.com/qc85zqoiqeyj
    https://www.mp4upload.com/znrfbycnj3a7

Well I thought the episode was okay. Apparently this series is more concerned with hitting the emotional and character beats than the narrative ones.

I'm not sure where the scene with Emu going back into the game world to confront Another Ex-aid fits because the last scene with Emu had him forgetting he was Ex-aid or just Sougo and Tsukuyomi

Sougo still can't figure out how to do a catchphrase.

So, the events of the Ex-Aid episodes weren't erased from time, just Build's? Maybe it's leading into the movie

Show still needs to work on it's CGI.

Lupinranger VS Patoranger episode 33

https://www.mp4upload.com/u1vcmp18esaw

Pretty decent episode with the kid lupins each having a role to get the changer back. I see that Kogure really enjoyed having long hair for a short time.

I liked when Keiichiro was starting to figure out why Kairi and Noel were collecting pieces. What will happen when they're all collected?

Sakuya got kicked in the midsection. Bonus points right there. Tsukasa being overwhelmed by the cuteness of Kairi was also fun

Not sure what the lupin collection piece was. Looked like it had the Sentai series Turboranger logo on it.

13. Christopher

Well, I'm still not warming to Zi-O all that much, but Build took a while to win me over too. The way Zi-O appealed to the father to try to convince him to stop was well-done, though.

It's weird to see giant robots fighting in a Toei show without any stuntmen in suits being involved.

Fun LvP episode -- I liked the clever ploys the Lupins devised to get the VS Changer back. And now we know Tsukasa's kawaii fetish isn't limited to stuffed animals. (Speaking of fetishes, it's good that they didn't portrayed Kairi as getting excited to sit on her lap and get cuddled by her. I'm grateful that Super Sentai has apparently outgrown that kind of humor at its female characters' expense.)

Assuming the scenes were presented in correct chronological order, I have to give up my theory that Kogure is really GoodStriker in disguise, since Goody was with the Patrangers in the fight scene intercut with the scene of Kogure in Jurer. On the other hand, it seems that Jurer scene may have taken place later than shown, given that the Lupins had time to change back into normal clothes. But I guess it's possible they trusted the Patrangers and Noel to defeat the Ganglar and decided to change clothes ahead of time so they'd be ready.

So maybe Kogure is actually Arsene Lupin in disguise? Or maybe Lupin the Fourth?

14. Christopher

Kind of a clumsy/silly Super Ninja Steel premise -- a computer-genius student who practices martial arts with Brody convinces herself she can fight alongside the Power Rangers, has to be shown how dangerous it is, but is then needed to help them when their weapons are infected by a monster's computer virus. I guess it could've worked with a better execution, maybe, but it felt kind of silly here (although the guest actress was kind of cute). And it's weird that Brody initially said he was giving Emma a karate lesson, but then they were practicing kendo on the pier, and then they subsequently referred to it as "ninja lessons." That's three different martial arts treated interchangeably.

Oh, and we got one of the rare reminders that Mick is a shapeshifter, when Emma is brought into the Rangers' lair and he has to hide. That's a character trait they've really squandered.

I'm starting to fast-forward through the Megazord fights now as well as the Victor-Monty scenes. The new "Blazords" are among the clumsiest-looking Zords/mecha I've ever seen. They look like toys for 5-year-olds.

15. Samurai8472

Kamen Rider Zi-O episode 5 and 5.5

https://www.mp4upload.com/amygbql6dzmc

The OP now shows all three Time Jackers facing front, good call.

Geiz actually knows how to use the old Rider powers in ways that the originals would. His Build finisher didn't have any imperfections.

Geiz and Tsukuyoki adding their own unique touches to the school uniforms was funny. Geiz still wore his vest over his school jacket lol

Woz showed some future hints he might be a rider with that block attack

Interesting that Another Fourze was actually Another Faiz.

This has a domino effect where where Faiz never happened due to Another Faiz existing as well.

The two actors quarreling starred in Faiz

Kento Handa- The main protagonist Takumi Inui
    Kohei Murakami- He portrayed Masato Kusaka

Episode 5.5

https://www.mp4upload.com/45v65oh37nfh

Glad the extra content brings up why Tsukuyumi has a Faiz phone before meeting Faiz. Hopefully the main show will explain when she got it and why. Interesting to learn about the origin of Sougo's name from Kamen Rider creator Shotaro Ishinomori

So Okuno celebrated his 18th birthday during the filming of this episode on August 21st

[​IMG]

The guy in the cap is Koichi Sakamoto. He's directed MANY action scenes for Super Sentai, Kamen Rider and Power Ranger's.

16. Christopher

I'm still having trouble getting into this one. It's too dependent on references to past shows.

17. Samurai8472

Lupinranger VS Patranger episode 34

https://www.mp4upload.com/j83bmu6e3icu

Good episode for Kairi. It was a good episode to get the plot moving once again. While we haven't seen it at mecha size yet, the Lupin Magnum put in a good show for its first fight. Destroying a giant monster is pretty impressive.

The episode had one of those old story tropes. Present someone with a perfect world, and force them to destroy what they love. The MotW this week was interesting, being a hunter whose pet wolf was on his shoulder, and acted like an actual dog

This week's Lupin Collection is a Tensouder/Super Megaforce changer. Pretty obvious one

Interesting that Kogure was surprised that Kairi could retrieve the collection piece. I wonder who Noel lost.

18. Christopher

Oh, I see. It was pretty clear that the barrel was designed to split down the middle (which would never work with any kind of real gun), but I wasn't sure if it would turn into a Robo or some kind of sword or other alternate weapon.

Anyway, this plot was kind of a prime example of my least favorite thing about Super Sentai (other than the ever more gimmicky and dumb mecha designs and garish CGI), which is how practically every story advance is ultimately about getting a bigger and deadlier gun to shoot the bad guys with. This episode was all about glorifying guns, and maybe that works in Japan where they have sane gun control laws and actual gun violence is so rare that they can treat the things as mere fantasy objects; but for me as an American viewer, it's rather more distasteful.

It is kind of interesting what the character story implied. Tooma and Umika are still only doing this to save their loved ones, but it seems Kairi really does love being a phantom thief for its own sake, and he chose that path despite Keiichirou's voice pricking at his conscience. And that's what Lupin and Kogure wanted, which raises the question of whether they can really be considered good guys in all this. Are we heading for a battle over Kairi's soul at the climax? Kogure's laugh at the end there makes me wary, because it's usually villains who laugh at the advancement of their plans.

I wonder if there's an in-universe significance to all the Collection pieces being variations of past Sentai changers and weapons. Is there some implied master storyline that all Sentai tech is derived from Lupin Collection pieces? Although I guess that wouldn't work, given how many Sentai teams' powers came from ancient civilizations or alien planets.

19. Samurai8472

A couple of leaked set videos for "Power Rangers:Beast morphers"

The morph call

https://twitter.com/iDarkBlaze/status/1047886345622839296

Suited Rangers vs Monster in Albert Park:
    https://twitter.com/iDarkBlaze/status/1047952202080313344

Rorrie, Jackie, and Jazz rehearsing a fight scene:
    https://twitter.com/iDarkBlaze/status/1047953076877811712

Rangers rehearsing a fight scene part 2:
    https://twitter.com/iDarkBlaze/status/1047953181148246017

The character of Roxy ordering a MOTW to attack the rangers

https://twitter.com/iDarkBlaze/status/1047955084301099008

Some highlights

-Morph call is "It's Morphin Time! Activate Beast Power!"

-
    Roxy could be the American counterpart to "Escape" from Go-busters

20. Christopher

We seem to be in a run of Super Ninja Steel episodes in which the individual Rangers make uncharacteristically bad, life-altering decisions so they can Learn a Valuable Lesson. This week's plot was a particularly rushed and silly example. An auto mechanic sees Calvin spend 5 seconds diagnosing a car problem and hires him on the spot, and Calvin immediately quits school without taking any time to think it over or discuss it with anyone. What, doesn't he have parents? Is he an emancipated minor or something? Then he's so stupid that he thinks his experience fixing car engines will help him fix a damaged Megazord engine, though it takes one look for him to realize it's beyond him. How is it that a guy interested in the workings of vehicles has never before taken a look at the inner workings of an alien spacecraft he's had access to for months?

The millipede-based monster design this week was really interesting, though.