Possible that Starfleet still developed the Galaxy X class in the prime timeline?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by The Rock, May 5, 2020.

1. The Rock

The Rock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Obviously, the Enterprise-D wouldn't have been able to be upgraded to a Galaxy X in the prime timeline since it crashed in Generations.

But during the future of the prime timeline (around, say, the time of the "Picard" show), do you think Starfleet would've upgraded all remaining Galaxy class vessels to the Galaxy X class (as seen in the TNG episode "All Good Things")?

I'm hoping that they did. Just because something happened in an alternate timeline doesn't mean it couldn't have happened in the prime one.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It looks super cool, so I'd be cool with seeing one in Picard season 2.

NCC-73515 and The Rock like this.
  3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd say such refitting is necromancy of some sort, trying to breathe life to ships the time of which has already passed. And thus probably extra fitting for the TNG hero ship, much as the TOS hero ship may have been a relic of the deep past, perpetuated well past its time.

I'd still rather see that as a special treatment for special vessels, rather than something Starfleet would wish to see inflicted upon a great number of its ships. And in any case, Starfleet doesn't seem to have much of a standardization fetish.

Except, perhaps, in the 2390s, as just seen in PIC?

Timo Saloniemi

The Rock likes this.
  4. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Possible. I would belive that after the borg, dominion and other threats that poped up in the latter part of the 24th century that a certain percentage of ships would be constructed or upgraded to some type of warship configuration. With the Galaxy class being over 30 years old at the time of Picard, I'd say that atleast a Few were converted over to the Galaxy X version when they were refitted.
    I would think a typical ship would have around a 50 year lifespan, give or take ( I know excelsior etc, but thats reall world budgetary reasons.. they couldn't afford new ships for Tng..) and not every galaxy was built in 2365 or so, maybe they were continully constructed till the 2380's?
    So.. to the question, Yes, I belive it is possible that a few are warping around..

The Rock likes this.
  5. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

Personally, I doubt it as the phaser lance prevents saucer separation and the third nacelle and various doodads block the secondary shuttlebays and the drive section impulse... cutting down options for STL maneuvering, which would a bad thing for a warship.

Paul Weaver likes this.
  6. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

They put these upgrades on when the shuttlebay doors are jammed beyond repair and saucer separation doesn't work anymore ;)

Timo likes this.
  7. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

And they paint her orange

somebuddyX likes this.
  8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I doubt it. What I'd really like to know instead is why all those Excelsiors and Mirandas we saw in DS9 didn't have extra nacelles and phaser cannons added on to their old frames.

somebuddyX likes this.
  9. Imaus

Imaus Captain Captain

Extra nacelles would be deadweight on them, though? I would rather expect to see 'newer' nacelles and different colour'd powerplants to denote upgrades. The Miranda of 2370 should look a lot different than the Miranda of 2270, if at least it has different nacelles and maybe some window changes.

somebuddyX likes this.
  10. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I was only being semi-serious.

somebuddyX and Imaus like this.
  11. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Maybe she looks different on the inside

12. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

The Constitution-Class got a major refit after twenty-five years in service so I could see the Galaxy-Class heading down the same route.

somebuddyX likes this.
  13. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

The Enterprise X was Admiral Riker's compensation mechanism.

I'd say "mid-life crisis", but the Admiral was a little old for that unless he had the Enterprise upgraded long before we saw it.

It really was about kewl-ness factor 10.

Paul Weaver likes this.
  14. Timo

Hey, you gotta figure it's the future - Riker would be middle-aged till his seventies.

We don't really know if there was a "Constitution class" left by the time NCC-1701 got her refit. Might be the last ones fell, if not in TOS, then in TAS. Save for the one fit-for-scrapping specimen that then got reactivated as the -A as fit punishment for Kirk.

Hard to tell if there'd be a Galaxy class still around. Unlike with the Constitution, we know it's not all that old - only about forty years old by design in the PIC era, give or take. But the last time we saw a live one was in "Timeless", around 2390.

Timo Saloniemi

15. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd think something major like that would've warranted at least one line of dialogue somewhere in TMP, what we did get from Decker was that the ship was "Admiral, this is an almost totally new Enterprise..." which would indicate that the ships is the original but extensively modified.

16. AresB

AresB Commander Red Shirt

Sure they did. Cannons at least.

[​IMG]

17. Timo

Considering no cannon in Trek ever looked like that... Probably not.

Timo Saloniemi

Paul Weaver likes this.
  18. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

That's the first time I'm seeing that version of the ship being referred to as “Galaxy X class”. That's only from the novels, right?

Qonundrum likes this.
  19. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Given the fleet in PIC's finale was based on the "CTRL C+V" Class*, it seems unlikely there's a Galaxy X. :(

* I think they got their new warp engine designs from the First Order since Star Wars uses the same enter/leave hyperspace effect...

somebuddyX and NCC-73515 like this.
  20. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Well, whether they are canons or not, that class of ship was decommissioned 70 years before TNG, so it's not quite a valid example.

Beats me. But I knew what he was talking about ;)