Pine channels the Shat

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Bobatiel, May 17, 2009.

1. Bobatiel

Bobatiel Commodore Commodore

2. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, I see! I know what you mean now. I couldn't quite picture it just from your description.

Boy, The Shat was in top-notch shape back then! I'll bet most actors wouldn't do stunts like that anymore, for fear of injury, and insurance, and blah blah...

3. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Let us not forget the Karate Knockout Chop! :techman:

4. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

I remember something about Abrams telling Pine to Shatner it up a bit in that last scene of the movie too.

5. Nebula1400

Nebula1400 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Like the one in "Journey to Babel" where he inexplicably jump kicks the wall and falls on the floor without touching his attacker?

6. dougkeenan

dougkeenan Commander Red Shirt

^ Notice in "Gamesters of Triskelion" a few eps later Kirk's trained himself to dispatch an Andorian with a knife!

7. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm surprised no one's mentioned two examples in the bar scene:

-When Uhura and Kirk are next to each other and Kirk flirts with her, Pine's face is pointed as if he was looking at something behind her, but with the smirk, like Shatner always does when flirting with someone
    -The exchange between Kirk and Cupcake:
    Kirk: Oh, relax, cupcake. It was a joke.
    Cupcake: Hey! Farmboy! Maybe you can't count, but there are four of us and one of you.
    Kirk: So get some more guys and then it'll be an even fight.

Anybody could deliver that last line, but Pine instilling it with Shatner bravado is what sold the line.

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Not to say you're wrong, but in the whole sequence in the bar, from the banter with Uhura through to the end of the fight, ("You can whistle really loud, you know that?" :D) it wasn't an impression of Shatner I was getting but of Robert Conrad (The Wild Wild West.) The delivery of the Kirk-to-Cupcake lines you've quoted looked and sounded to me like pure James West.

9. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, James West and Jim Kirk are children of the 60s with supersmart sidekicks. Personalities are bound to intersect :)

10. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking at the restored deleted footage of the fight scene on the youtube clip explains abrupt start of the fight. The people standing down the corridor hadn't cleared the shot.

11. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Oh, Kirk and West definitely overlap, there's no question about that -- they were two different versions of the same thing -- but I found I could easily hear Conrad's West delivering the very same lines with the very same attitude (and pat to Cupcake's cheek) as Pine's Kirk, but not so easily picture Shatner's Kirk saying, in effect, "so there's one of me and lots of you - bring it on" in exactly the same way.

I'll agree, though, that sold the whole scene.

12. Maxum

Maxum Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Agreed. That last scene was screaming William Shatner, and with Pine wearing the gold tunic, it just solidified that scene. It was perfect, and he did a great job. The audience was loving the crew being together, and when Spock entered and Kirk welcomed him, the team was complete.

There were two other instances where I saw Kirk. The one when Kirk first assumes command of the Enterprise and makes the shipwide address to the crew. He is very commanding and confident, and I saw Shatner's Kirk in that moment. His "Either their going down or we are" was very Shatneresque, imo. Same goes for when he hailed Sulu from the transporter room and told him to fire on the Nerada if he saw a tactical advantage, even if he and Spock are still on board. The way he spoke had the same authority and command as Shatner.

Pine nailed the movie beautifully.

I hope they don't put those karate chops in the next film. They won't work. Kirk is a brawler, as shown in the bar. I think Kirk gets a lot of flak for losing various fights in the new movie, but people seem to overlook that Kirk never got involved in an even fight - ever - in the entire movie. If he was fighting another human being, it was at least two against one and as many as four.

Also, when he was fighting on the drill platform, he was taking on two Romulans with just a helmut to allow Sulu to land. Sulu ultimately pulled out a weapon to help his fight; Kirk had no other weapon. Romulans are at least twice as strong as humans, as was evident when Ayel picked up kirk by the throat with one hand.

Vulcans are also twice as strong as humans, and I don't even consider that Spock kicked Kirk's ***. If you watch that scene, Kirk wasn't trying to fight Spock. Kirk simply wanted to provoke Spock to get him to show his emotions, and once that happened, Kirk just tried to defend himself against as many blows as Spock was inflicting. Kirk's arms were up in defensive positions, but I never saw him try to fight Spock.

Lastly, I give Kirk a lot of credit for staying behind, alone, on the Nerada in order to try and save Pike, even though he was outmatched in every way. That takes guts.

The thing I learned about watching Kirk in this movie was that yeah, you can pummel him as much as you want, but he's always going to be getting back up. If you jettison him off your ship, he's coming back. If you're stronger than him, he'll find a way to get your gun. If your ship is bigger and more advanced, he'll find a way to outsmart and outfight you. THAT'S why Captain Kirk becomes the legend he becomes.

13. Vicki

Vicki Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh gawd yes, I loved it. A really lovely subtle touch tying STXI to TOS. The other six are pretty much who they will become in TOS. Kirk isn't yet through almost all of the movie and this was a solid link to TOS Kirk.

I don't expect to see much of Shattner's physical mannerisms in the next movie but I think STXI really needed that.

14. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

Also, in that last scene, when he delivers the "Maneuvering thrusters, Mr. Sulu" line, that was also completely like Shatner.

And I didn't pick up on it until I heard it as a voice clip on the Enterprise toy!

15. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another moment I was reminded of Shat, is when Kirk and Spock are on the Narada and are running right outside the Jellyfish on their way in it.

And Pine does that turn, sideways running thing for a moment. Anyone remember that ?

16. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, he nailed it.

Of course the real test will be his reading of the word "sabotage."

17. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

Make fun of it? When did that happen?? That must of went over my head. Explain please.

18. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

This was excellent...thanks for posting that.

19. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Complete with a grimace!

20. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

oh stuff like Kirk hitting his head on the shuttle bulkhead... McCoy saying he likes the "pointy-eared bastard", Chekov's accent... the movie's chockful of the making-fun-yet-paying tribute variety of gags.