Spoilers Picard Prequel "Children of Mars"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by mattman8907, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

That was 30 years ago. Agreeing with @Nenya, I'd hope they would not do stock footage on a modern show. Sometimes Mars is just Mars.

2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

They already said the prequel is about what happened 14 years before the show starts.

picardjean-luc likes this.
  3. Nenya

Nenya Commander Red Shirt

Oh well. :(

4. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not like there's some random off-the-shelf rendering of Mars that they could use as a placeholder until they render Vulcan (or whatever). So I'm inclined to think it's really supposed to be Mars in that shot.

ITDUDE and Paul Weaver like this.
  5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...But whether this connection between Picard and Mars (or at least ST:PIC and Mars) in turn is in any way connected to "Children of Mars" remains to be seen.

No doubt a double pun of sorts, physically connecting the peoples of Romulus and Remus to the planet Mars, would be attractive to a writer. But it may not be what we're dealing with here.

Timo Saloniemi

6. Nenya

Nenya Commander Red Shirt

I'm impatient. I want to see all of these now. I really wish All Access would follow other streaming services and release whole seasons at a time. To me, waiting a whole week for new episodes is so last century.

picardjean-luc, Danja and NCC-73515 like this.
  7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

#firstworldproblems

SolarisOne, Markonian, Danja and 3 others like this.
  8. Ar-Pharazon

With monthly subscriptions available, I don't understand why any streaming service releases an entire "season" at once. The weekly release keeps people signed up for 2 or 3 months at least, unless they wait till the last episode, then do a binge.

picardjean-luc and Markonian like this.
  9. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

Having to wait a week adds to the savouring, the discussion we can have about what might happen next week.

Remember when we had to wait 3 months to find out if it was Picard who shot Mr Burns?

10. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

I find the weekly excitement quite enjoyable. Also if the whole season is released on the same day, people with more free time can spoil everyone and discuss stuff from the latter episodes. If there's only one per week, everyone has a week to catch up.

Markonian, Galaxy and Paul Weaver like this.
  11. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

i'm impatient too. but i think whole season dumps create disposable tv. i've watched so many seasons of genuinely good tv in a week or less, but they become so easily forgettable. i'm happy trek isn't falling into that hole.

Kzinti, Markonian and Paul Weaver like this.
  12. cbl1

cbl1 Commander Red Shirt

I tend to avoid shows with season dumps because I know if I like it I won't be able to stop watching …. and there goes my weekend. I would rather have a show release weekly to avoid the temptation to watch them all at once.

Markonian likes this.
  13. fireproof78

I hate season dumps. There is no enjoyment for me in that.

14. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Mars is the God of War. "Children of Mars" = "Children of War".

15. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which sorta means nothing. Which sorta applies to all titles everywhere, but especially in the most recent round of spinoffs.

Might be there are children in the short, either in the sense of underaged folks or in the sense of descendants in general. Might be Mars is in it, physically or metaphorically. Might be neither features in any fashion, and it's all about the finer points of winemaking.

It's just that Mars had these two famous sons; that we have seen Mars in Trek recently; and that Picard and children are something of an issue, him having none of his own but grasping for foster kids left and right (previously Bajorans, now perhaps Romulans).

Timo Saloniemi

Search4 and Markonian like this.
  16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

While I'd love to watch 2 episodes a day for 5 days, I really enjoy the atmosphere here when new episodes drop weekly.

Day 1: Avoid the forum (because England has to wait a day), maybe if I'm feeling brave pop in to get a general consensus on episode quality but with huge risk of thread title spoilers.

Day 2: Feverishly catch up on 200 pages of discussion.

Day 3: A hundred new threads appear for every nitpick or story point. People with lives have finally seen the episode and there's tons more fresh discussion.

Day 4: Doom and gloom threads appear: The franchise is ruined because this episode did not meet my expectations.

Day 5: Content-free Midnight's Edge video threads start appearing about how the show is cancelled and Alex Kurtzman has actually been executed publicly for his crimes against Star Trek.

Day 6: Kurtzman appears alive and well in several media interviews hyping the next episode. Someone makes a "should have made Axanar instead" reference, probably from another fake account belonging to Alex Peters. Ex Astris Scientia posts a 1000 word essay about how Trek continuity is ruined forever because the armrests on a chair at Starfleet HQ are the wrong colour.

Day 7: Hype and prediction threads for the next episode!

17. Ar-Pharazon

Doesn't this one usually appear before the episode drops? :rofl:

SolarisOne, antinoos, Danja and 2 others like this.
  18. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Netflix goal is to have enough "good" content to release it weekly, so people can binge-watch something new every week. They only thing better than keeping someone in front of the screen one hour a week, is to keep that person infront of the screen for ten hours a week.

SolarisOne and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  19. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Netflix really doesn't care how much or little you use the site, so long as you continue to subscribe. They actually make more money if you watch less/only watch already produced content, because the operating costs are negligible.

Paul Weaver likes this.
  20. fireproof78

Netflix's goal is to keep subscribers. The only thing having people watch multiple hours does is indicate to them, through whatever metric they use) what content to keep producing. Since it isn't ad driven the amount time a person spends is less important.

SolarisOne likes this.