Spoilers Picard Prequel "Children of Mars"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by mattman8907, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, there's the Golden Gate bridge visible from a window...

(But perhaps they built one on Mars when the previous one was too much of a chore to repair after the Breen?)

The sky is always red over Miami Beach, too. I learned that from TV.

Timo Saloniemi

Search4 and Markonian like this.
  2. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Rear Admiral Premium Member

Sure, their coming of age was defined by the attack on Mars.

3. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know that but they could be worked on to bring them up to TV quality.

4. ICW

ICW Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My theory:

In an incredibly opportunistic but callous move, Starfleet decides to implement Maddox's vision of at least one Android on every starship following the death of Data. These Androids lack emotion and any ambition to become human. It makes their "service" (read: enslavement) to Starfleet much easier to swallow.

This deeply offends Picard for two obvious reasons: 1). Data was his friend, someone he personally championed for in A Measure of a Man. It's absolute bullshit that Starfleet would simply wait for Data to die in order to revisit Maddox's plan, particularly since they're designing these Androids void of any emotion or ambition; 2). As a former Borg, Picard is offended that Starfleet has essentially created their own Collective.

The latter point could be where Seven of Nine and Hugh come in. They're liberated from the Collective and perhaps it bothers them to see Starfleet take this course of action with these Androids. Maybe someone like Hughe is leading the "Rogue Synths" (but I have difficulty seeing him give the ok to bomb Mars). Maybe they're upset but have stayed quiet until Picard starts his mission.

And what exactly is that mission? We don't know who Dahj is. Perhaps she herself in an Android, a special Android that's gotten the attention of very important/dangerous entities? I'm not sure.

This was me just spitballing here and I know I'll be very, very wrong when it's all said and done but, hey, Children of Mars really got me interested!

tribbleorlfl likes this.
  5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yep.

Heck, I remember our teacher halting class to inform us that Vice-President Spiro Agnew had resigned.

6. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

:bolian:

Yeah I felt like this was a standalone that connected to the wider universe in the best way possible.

It gave rare context to events in the wider universe.

I'm actually getting emotional just thinking about it a day later.

Superb short, among the top three Short Treks.

nicholasm, Masiral, Vger23 and 4 others like this.
  7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

It would be a lot easier and cheaper to make them from scratch

8. Blooded

Blooded Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Precisely. I think some people look for too much from these shorts, to be honest. Not everyone, but definitely a handful of folk.

We typically only ever see the Star Trek Universe through the eyes of our main series heroes. It's great to see some of it through the eyes of minor characters who likely won't ever be seen again, especially when it comes to events like this Mars attack that we will almost certainly see from Picard's own perspective [via flashbacks] on Picard.

Vger23, Markonian, Greg Cox and 2 others like this.
  9. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Rear Admiral Premium Member

All I know of Agnew is that he's headless and carries Richard Nixon around

10. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

I hate to burst your bubble, but the Kelvin and her crew didn’t just spontaneously pop into existence when Nero went back in time. ;)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Markonian likes this.
  11. ToyBoxComix

ToyBoxComix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

First, the point of the story is that adversity can bring people together. It’s a simple but nice little tale. I don’t want to overlook the small story actually told even though it clearly has larger implications.

On to the larger issues...

The Mars attack probably reflects a 9/11 type event. Season 3 of Enterprise was a post-9/11 tale as well, but set in the immediate aftermath of the event. Picard will likely show the state of the Federation some 15 years later, which will parallel with the state of the US now.

from the tie-in comic, we know that Utopia Planetia was readying ships as quickly as possible to evacuate Romulans. So we can assume that the...what was the term, synthoids?...want to sabotage that effort. I’m sure their motivation will be revealed.

Yes, it’s rather disappointing to see Discovery-era starships in the late 24th century. In reality, it’s probably a matter of the production team not having the time and/or money to build new models for the short. My current head canon explanation is that the hulls were still viable, so they’re being drug back into service and upgraded because it’s faster than building new hulls from scratch. Hopefully we won’t see inconsistencies like that without explanation in the show proper.

A fine little short that both tells a small story and sets up the state of the world for Picard.

Will somebody please check on Geordi?

12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

And said comic also says some Romulans think the rescue fleet is an invasion fleet, and want to stop it. Which is why I think the Romulans are still partly responsible for this attack.

Maybe they’re the ones who armed the synths.

tribbleorlfl likes this.
  13. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it bad that I actually kind of want Geordi dead? Please don't mistake me. I love the character. Geordi was very relatable. But I want there to be something that makes us truly angry about this event. Sacrificing a beloved character, while certainly hard, makes hating the enemy far more interesting for both the audience and the characters. And imagine if the synths are androids, and the one man whose best friend was an android, was killed by Data's legacy. Its pure tragedy and compelling drama.

14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

I think it would only work if we actually see Geordi in footage. Don’t do it off screen.

15. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Yes. We have to see LeVar Burton himself in Geordi makeup and costume at the moment he dies if they're going to go that route. We've come to know and even love Geordi LaForge over the course of almost 33 years of the franchise and if he's going to die in the new series then his death needs more than just an offscreen attack for it to be satisfactory.

This isn't Robert and Rene Picard.

Search4, SolarisOne, Gilora and 5 others like this.
  16. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

You guys aren't wrong. And honestly, the likelihood of it happening are slim to none, unless Burton filmed a secret cameo. I'm not holding my breath on that. Just a thought.

urbandk likes this.
  17. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Fleet Captain Premium Member

Would they really kill off the Captain of the Challenger?

Markonian likes this.
  18. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Commodore Commodore

Thinking back to All Good Things, Deanna's death was only mentioned, not shown, and it served the storyline very well (i.e. to create the animosity and tension between Riker and Worf). Same can be done with Geordi, especially if LeVar Burton was never contacted.

nicholasm, Vger23 and Campe like this.
  19. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Fleet Captain Premium Member

Hmm...Reaping Rainbow...

The Wormhole and Greg Cox like this.
  20. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Vice Admiral Admiral

They killed off and put the final nail in the coffin of the 'Look' of TOS.
    Why would Geordie be any safer?

(yes, I'm still being a whiny, bitchin' Trek Ship Nerd)
    :scream:

BillJ likes this.