Spoilers Picard Prequel "Children of Mars"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by mattman8907, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

To be fair, CBS declared TAS canon so that more people would buy the DVDs (as in, the people who actually care about canon.) Before that they didn’t give a flip whether TAS was canon or not. But because CBS owns Star Trek in its entirety, it’s their right to do so, no matter what their marketing department’s reasoning was. CBS has a habit of declaring things ‘canon,’ ‘prime,’ etc. so more people will buy their product.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  2. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    True, but the question was 'When did it become canon?'
    Not how or why.

NCC-73515 and Danja like this.
  3. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

The question then of course is: Why did they never use the forcefield belts again? ;)

Seven of Five likes this.
  4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I wasn’t aware that that precluded me from mentioning its history.

Because while TAS is canon, it’s not in continuity.

5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

yes it is.

6. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Because if one thing goes wrong, then poof! At least with the regular spacesuits, if there's a leak, there's still some oxygen left. And you're still protected from direct exposure to whatever star you're orbiting. The forcefield belts are a really flimsy idea in practice.

SolarisOne, Phoenix219 and NCC-73515 like this.
  7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Not without all kinds of retconning it isn’t.

For example, the last of the four Human-Kzinti wars was in 2069. That does not jibe with where humanity was during that time period according to everything that came after TAS.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  8. Shon T'Hara

Shon T'Hara Commander Red Shirt

Star Trek is 90% retcon already.

9. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    And since it is highly unlikely that we will ever see the Kzinti used or even mentioned in Trek again, personally I can ignore that particular episode without any problem.
    Just like many other singular events we have had to retcon (or ignore) over the years.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps when the references started slipping though, in DS9?

11. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

We saw part of Utopia Planitia in Relativity, and I'm inclined to believe the space station we see in NYCC trailer could be part of those yards.

Screenshot 2019-10-17 at 10.02.36.png

Screenshot 2019-10-17 at 10.02.20.png

Markonian, XCV330, ITDUDE and 2 others like this.
  12. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Certainly something orbiting Mars in dark stark vacuum is likelier than that other big thing hovering within the hazy blue atmosphere above what looks like Californian coastline...

Although something so far otherwise unseen in the trailers is also a solid option.

Timo

13. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Let’s just say it’s not Prime universe. Fine, it’s canon, it happened. But Prime universe isn’t animated. Let’s borrow from Sony’s multiverse and call it a different universe.

14. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

There have been so many changes to the timeline caused by time travel, temporal cold wars, Annorax being Annorax, various Burnhams in angelic suits, etc that continuity is probably so problematic in the Trek universe (any Trek universe) that you need people like Lucsly, Dulmer and Daniels to sort it out.

I'm pretty good with that. I can accept TAS without accepting the Enterprise. I can have a Prime timeline without the events of movie 5. Early earth sent out fusion powered deep space ships in the 1990's during the Eugenics wars until they didn't. All valid stories but they don't have to be taken in sequence.

SolarisOne likes this.
  15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

That's not really the point, though. M*A*S*H had just as many continuity violations throughout the course of its 13 year run, and nobody blamed them on time travel. They are just mistakes or retcons that will always happen with different writers for a long-lasting show. It just happens. TAS is just as valid as ENT, whether they are in continuity with each other or not. That's what 'canon' means. It's just a collected body of work. It doesn't have to be consistent, and it doesn't need convoluted fanwanky explanations to try to fit it all together coherently.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  16. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

We're agreeing on the same thing I think, but I am not communicating it well enough.

17. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

Or Christopher...

SolarisOne and XCV330 like this.
  18. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

And Benny. Benny is an esper who was driven to madness by his fluctuating visions of the future coupled with the injustices of the present.

19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly.

20. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tell that to the writers of Discovery season 2. They tried so hard to bring "canon" in "sync" that they had to leave 23rd century completely behind. And they used exactly "convoluted fankwanky explanations" to do it.