Picard film in development

Neither do Michelle Yeoh or David Cronenberg, but they managed.
Actually, when it comes to acting, Cronenberg doesn't cost that much. Indeed, he has described himself as "cheap and available" in this interview with The Irish Times from early March 2020, again in this Trekmovie interview in December 2020 explaining how he got cast as Kovich and again in this interview with the official Star Trek site in November 2021. In the latter two, he even adds he'll gladly act in anything that's filming in Toronto.

As for Michelle Yeoh, though she probably did cost more than Cronenberg, it should be noted her Disco appearances were before her current career resurgence, so she probably didn't come with as high a price tag as Holly Hunter or Paul Giammati. Though, she probably is making decent money for being in the Section 31 movie.

As for Michelle Yeoh, though she probably did cost more than Cronenberg, it should be noted her Disco appearances were before her current career resurgence, so she probably didn't come with as high a price tag as Holly Hunter or Paul Giammati. Though, she probably is making decent money for being in the Section 31 movie.

She's now an Executive Producer on the film. :cool:

It's a pillar of P+.

Budget VFX:

It certainly is, although sometimes even when something appears on the outside to be beneficial, the cost/benefit ratio may be off. If I have a lemonade stand, and I make like the best damn lemonade you've ever had and demand is high for it... i'm still going to go out of business if my amazing lemonade costs me $3 per cup to make and I sell it for $1.50...

And I think there might be something somewhere in the middle of VFX there... There are quite a few cost cutting measures that could be employed. There is also the fact that there have been other reasonably FX heavy shows that looked perfectly fine without the budget that Star Trek receives. The Expanse is probably the most relevant example, with a budget of anywhere from 2-5 million per episode... contrasted with Strange New Worlds at roughly 7 million... shaving even just a bit off that is a fairly major win.

At the end of the day, this all is a business.

I dont want another bout of franchise fatigue to ruin modern star trek, so its a terrible idea to bring Patrick back yet again for another do-over. TNG wrapped up nicely with AGT, then FC came out, then INS & NEM nearly killed the franchise, along with VOY which wasnt as appreciated as it is today, and of course ENT which did get better in its 3rd and 4th seasons but by then it was too late. ST 2009 revived the franchise because it was new, fresh, had a new cast and revamped visuals and it was a decent film.. and that matters. Discovery is different than what came before but maybe not in all the best ways, including the writing. SNW and Picard have been the two shows that have saved Star Trek from mediocrity and eventual death, and just because season 3 of Picard did well doesnt mean we need more content with Sir Patrick involved. S3 wrapped up the next gen cast very well and anything after that with Pat would be an insult to the franchise and to him. They've had their time. Now Paramount needs to focus on their current shows instead of coming up with more and more ideas that will further bankrupt the company. Prodigy is a great show all around and while aimed at kids, I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope it brings in a younger audience. SNW should be the flagship show of the franchise going forwards and yeah the 25th century era should definitely be explored in the future but there is no reason to have multiple eras covered simultaneously.

I couldn't sit through the pilot (I knew what was going to happen about halfway through).

It's fine if you're a new viewer and you haven't seen how Trek rolls a million times before. :shifty:
I've been a fan for almost 40 years and I absolutely adore it. It's the best Trek has been in decades. There have already been multiple episodes where I couldn't predict how they ended. Even more importantly, every single episode has been well written and either fun or thought-provoking. The series is as close to perfect as a show can be.

SNW is ok. I wouldn’t say that it’s rip-roaringly awesome like some people believe. But it’s better than all the other Trek shows CBS/P+ have produced, with the exception of Prodigy.

It's fine if you're a new viewer and you haven't seen how Trek rolls a million times before. :shifty:

I'm sorry but that's a such 'I'm right and the rest is wrong' answer.
Except for TAS and PRO I've seen all of Trek, and a lot of it several times over. SNW is currently my favorite Star Trek show and it's high on the list of my favorite Star Trek shows produced so far.

SNW has great cast chemistry, great stories, and great acting. Sure, some of it does do the nostalgia bit, but I think it's overall handled well.

For all it's flaws, Discovery really does shine as it's own incarnation of Star Trek. Sure it's first season was a bit clunky, which happens when you fire the showrunners halfway through the first season and have to scramble to rewrite the rest, and S2 had some clunks as well, but it had good chemistry and engaging stories.

I'm sorry but that's a such 'I'm right and the rest is wrong' answer.
Except for TAS and PRO I've seen all of Trek, and a lot of it several times over. SNW is currently my favorite Star Trek show and it's high on the list of my favorite Star Trek shows produced so far.
Same here, and rewatch many shows I've enjoyed before. Strange New Worlds appeal is not in the stories but the characters. Same with most other shows that I've actually enjoyed, rather than labored to enjoy because "franchise name."

Stopping without even finishing an episode is silly.

Not when you know what's going to happen. Not when you've seen the same stale, predictable, cliched plotting a million times before.

Pike and Co's genetic programming fails, their identities are revealed, and they have to rescue Number One AND get out with their lives.

Yawn ...

I turned off Iron Man for the same reason.

I don't watch a lot of TV. I just can't sit through most of it anymore.

Last edited:
Not when you know what's going to happen. Not when you've seen the same predictable, cliched plotting a million times before.

Pike and Co's genetic programming fails, their identities are revealed, and they have to rescue Number One AND get out with their lives.

Yawn ...

Uh..... but that's not really what happened.

Last edited:
Not when you know what's going to happen. Not when you've seen the same stale, predictable, cliched plotting a million times before.

Yawn ...

I don't watch a lot of TV. I just can't sit through most of it anymore.
Partially correct.

Back