Spoilers Picard 1x1, "Remembrance"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by The Old Mixer, Jan 8, 2020.

?

Rate the episode

1. Excellent

64.3%
  2. Good

28.2%
  3. Average

5.7%
  4. Below Average

0.8%
  5. Poor

0.8%
  1. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From everything I have read, the showrunners made it clear they wanted Picard to be slower-paced and more thoughtful to distinguish it from Discovery, so this isn't a surprise.

2. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

Wasn't that the original plan? I think they were between two and three and went with three.

I'm a big fan of DSC but one of my complaints about that show is they try to do too much too fast without giving you time to soak it in our breathe.

I'd welcome slower pacing

3. Lord Hobbers

Lord Hobbers Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Do we see any recognisable phasers or tricorders?

I really hope they stick with the aesthetic of phasers not looking like pistols.

dantini likes this.
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Crewman6 you don't need to use spoiler tags.

5. eschaton

I'm not surprised that Dahj or Narek aren't onboard La Sirena. The trailers made it pretty clear that Narek at least begins the series as an antagonist, and Dahj seemingly gets kidnapped by him, considering how she's in shots with Narek - but not onboard the ship.

I am surprised Elnor isn't onboard La Sirena though.

Markonian likes this.
  6. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

They have to pick him up from Rivendell

7. gvn2fly

gvn2fly Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Crewman6, thanks so much for your comments. How would you rate it using the poll above (1-5)? What were your initial impressions compared to the first 3 of Discovery?

8. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Can you describe the opening titles? Is the theme all or mostly new? Or do they reference older themes?

9. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

According to an interview with Jerry Ryan, Seven became a "freedom fighter". What exactly happened to the Federation and Starfleet???

10. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

NDA's can keep you quiet unless you have VERY anonymous user names :beer: Most press/vloggers I know said they are gagged until the 24th.

11. eschaton

As I said in the other thread - my guess is - given Stewart said that there are explicit Trump/Brexit allegories in the show - the Federation went isolationist after the Hobus Supernova and closed its borders, building "a wall around the Federation"

Hythlodeus, Markonian and Blooded like this.
  12. Blooded

Blooded Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I personally wouldn't consider this out of character for the Federation either, especially given a) they were not far removed from a war that stretched all of their resources, and b) public sympathy for the Romulans was likely not especially great, given it was the Romulans...

Unimatrix Q and tribbleorlfl like this.
  13. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Too bad. :D

14. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No mention of Crusher at all?

15. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

This comes from Reddit:

LB-Ranger

3 points·15 minutes ago

The opening credits are more like discovery than TNG. Not literally, but they have a lot of different images, somewhat surreal. It's nice to look at. I don't remember that much of it, though. Space. An eyeball, etc.

The TNG theme is quoted, but not used in its entirety.

It's not explained why the synths attacked mars yet.

Dahj is killed in the first episode. In the fight scene show in the trailers. But she has a twin who is currently working as a visiting scientist on the Romulan-controlled borg cube.

Both were created by Bruce Maddox. They are artificial beings with human bodies but android heads. Maddox used parts of Data's brain(?) to create them.

We don't see much in the way of Starfleet ships, I'm afraid.

Data is in 2 picard dreams of episode 1 only.

Picard has iromodic syndrome"

Edit: removed debunked bit.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  16. Crewman6

The premiere was open to a LOT of people. There were clearly people there that were just fan groups, dressed in costume and a long standby line. So controlling access was not a high priority.

KennyB likes this.
  17. Crewman6

Most of this comes from a PM I sent Iocborg last night after he/she PM'd me to ask for spoilers.

If I had known they were going to repost to reddit, I never would have said anything to them. Bad form.

As for the last part, it's a lie. 7 doesn't appear in the first 3.

tribbleorlfl, Markonian and KennyB like this.
  18. Blooded

Blooded Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Poor Jeri Ryan, having to travel the world for all this PR, when she's not even in the episodes being screened :lol:

19. Crewman6

2.5-3? It's got some good stuff, but a few things I think are straight up dumb. The pacing is a bit lazy, they could have accomplished in two episodes what they took to tell in 3. And it's not always for the best. It's not like they used that extra time for deep character dives or anything.

There is too much plot but not enough story. It's actually slightly confusing at times, particularly the Romulan/Borg business. It's hard to keep track of who's doing what and why and what's really at stake for Picard. No idea what the bad guys are doing or why.

There's a lot of backstory, but the themes of the backstory don't really smoothly flow into the story in the present day in a meaningful way.

Picard's "mission" is very small and personal, which is perfectly fine, but there doesn't seem to be tremendous urgency to it.

I dunno. Still sorting out my feelings. It's not a home run for sure, but it's not a complete whiff, either.

Cake and Markonian like this.
  20. Datasbeard

Datasbeard Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Was Jeri Ryan in the opening credits? I know she isn’t in the first three episodes, but I wonder if she’s billed as a “regular”.

Also, can you say more about what the “mission” is? Is to stop Maddox?