Spoilers Picard 1x1, "Remembrance"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by The Old Mixer, Jan 8, 2020.

?

Rate the episode

1. Excellent

64.3%
  2. Good

28.2%
  3. Average

5.7%
  4. Below Average

0.8%
  5. Poor

0.8%
  1. Blooded

Blooded Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I only realised last night that Ethan Peck wasn't listed in the opening credits for the second season of Discovery, once he joined up halfway through. Seems Seven may be on a similar type of introduction, so fully expect she won't be billed as a series regular.

2. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One thing is for sure, which is if the show takes as long to get off the ground as it seems, there will be a lot of fans who will be impatient/let down it's taking its time to ramp up. I mean, this is one of those things which would be no big deal if it were dumped all at once like a Netflix/Amazon Prime show, but will feel pretty frustrating with weekly release.

3. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

That's always fun when someone breaks THE CODE.

urbandk likes this.
  4. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Major spoilers to follow --

Jeri Ryan is not in the opening credits. Neither is Brent Spiner or Jonathan Del Arco, for that matter.

The mission is to find Maddox, who disappeared. Maddox created Dahl and her - spoiler alert - twin sister. They have human bodies but android brains that were created from using parts(?) from Data.

Dahjj dies in the first episode and Picard is trying to save the twin, who is working on the Borg cube.

BTW, creating artificial life forms is illegal after the attack on Mars. Jurati and Maddox were only allowed to do theoretical stuff, not create actual androids or AI.

5. Crewman6

None at all.

6. Blooded

Blooded Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Damn, feels like Data's legacy and contribution to Starfleet has been shit all over by the behaviour of others since.

7. locborg

locborg Commander Red Shirt

guilty as charged. I thought @Crewman6 would be fine with disclosing these spoilers since they didn’t contain any personal information. Posted them without asking, my bad!

8. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

So it's actually a sequel to "Measure of a Man".

9. Crewman6

Definitely. This is one of those shows where the individual episodes have no distinct story or character. They're just chunks out of the larger whole.

Which is not an approach I'm a huge fan of. As much as I griped about "The Mandalorian" having so many standalones......

But, in this case, given that the episodes really are just pieces of the whole....one a week is going to be annoying, especially since these first three are really just protracted set-up and backstory.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  10. KennyB

So the 7 and Icheb part is all bullshit then.

11. Crewman6

SPOILER ALERT
    Yes

KennyB likes this.
  12. KennyB

Thanks--figured as much.

Crewman6 likes this.
  13. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

If this is a "10-hour movie" then it structurally makes sense. The first three episodes are really more like Act I of a film. More or less what I figured, but hearing this makes me adjust my expectations accordingly.

Seeing the first episode of a 10-hour season here is basically the equivalent of watching the first 12 minutes of a feature film. I can see how that would make some people complain about the pacing. On the bright side, it'll royally mess up the argument certain people have that everything in Star Trek now is nothing but "bing-bang-boom!"

14. eschaton

This is also why some spoilers are a good thing. Much like being mildly spoiled about the jumping time periods in The Witcher series helped me get up to speed much quicker.

15. KennyB

Ha.......I had no clue. Think I finally figured it out in episode 5. I was soooooo confused.

DaveyNY likes this.
  16. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

I still remember people griping about all the "'splosions" in ST09

KennyB likes this.
  17. Datasbeard

Datasbeard Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for this. The premise sounds intriguing to me. Is it explained at all where they got the Data parts? He seemed pretty obliterated in NEM. Presumably, some components may have been removed and replaced over time.

18. eschaton

I should also say that I don't really think Trek has ever had a great episode right out the bat. Mediocre is about as good as it gets. Sometimes - like Encounter at Farpoint - it's downright awful.

tribbleorlfl, urbandk and KennyB like this.
  19. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's B4 in the drawer.

20. StewMc

StewMc Commodore Commodore

Who’s android body was in the drawer? Is it B4 right enough?