Spoilers Picard 1x1, "Remembrance"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by The Old Mixer, Jan 8, 2020.

?

Rate the episode

1. Excellent

64.3%
  2. Good

28.2%
  3. Average

5.7%
  4. Below Average

0.8%
  5. Poor

0.8%
  1. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is my cue to exit this thread... you all have fun... :techman:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Paul Weaver and KennyB like this.
  2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

And it looks like we have our first honest vote. :p

Ar-Pharazon and F. King Daniel like this.
  3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I'm not here for a genre-redefining television masterpiece. I'm here to be entertained for 10 episodes.

Next Gen isn't my favourite Trek and I think it's aged terribly. But it's still the Trek I grew up with and I'm curious to see what the old characters have been up to for the past 20 years.

KennyB likes this.
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

who speaks french?

6. Tuskin38

antinoos likes this.
  7. Datasbeard

Datasbeard Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Can we ask more about the ships? Were there any ships in the first three episodes? Were they all ones we’ve seen on Discovery? Was there just the one kind of shuttle? Does La Sirena appear, and is it explained what it is?

Markonian likes this.
  8. Tuskin38

Why are we using spoiler tags in a thread with a spoiler warning?

A mod already said it was unnecessary.

MikeS, Markonian and KennyB like this.
  9. Datasbeard

Sorry, I must’ve missed that!

10. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

@Crewman6 answered this a page back. Well the first part.........

11. Datasbeard

Right, I saw that. But I was hoping for clarification. In response to whether we see any 24th century ships he wrote “No, not really”, which could mean anything from us seeing no ships at all, to us seeing a fleet of Magee class ships and red-angel suits. :)

Cake, F. King Daniel and NCC-73515 like this.
  12. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Still early for out LA peeps---I'm sure he'll expand some after coffee ;-) Didn't know if you had seen since it was in code.

Tuskin38 and Datasbeard like this.
  13. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There have been remarks by the production crew in the media indicating that Picard spends a good deal of time on Earth rather than disembarking immediately for a space adventure. It could be that all of the initial "recruitment" portion of the series takes place on Earth, which would explain no ships.

urbandk and Datasbeard like this.
  14. Datasbeard

That makes sense, and I’d be happy with that. My only hope is that if and when we do see ships, they are era appropriate. I actually have no problem with seeing the Magee class in CoM, since based on the comics it seems Starfleet needs every ship it can get, including old ships brought out of mothballs. But it would be nice to see some modern ships alongside the old, and even nicer to see some familiar-looking ones. If a Magee class can still fly, why can’t a Valiant class or a Sovereign class? The fact that all we have seen in the trailers is Disco shuttles makes me very worried about this. Either they don’t care, or there’s some technical or legal reason they are fixated on using only Disco models. Neither would be a good situation, so I’m hoping that’s not an accurate impression.

Markonian likes this.
  15. gvn2fly

gvn2fly Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is it possible the old Disco shuttles have been repurposed for Earth use and aren't official Starfleet vessels? This may be quickly debunked in the show, but so far we've seen the shuttle as a school bus in the Short Trek, and in the trailers in San Francisco and later used by Picard? in the desert. There's also a shuttle in the city at night, but can't tell if it's Discovery style.

Datasbeard likes this.
  16. Datasbeard

Yeah, we can always hope. There are always plenty of ways to square the circle…until there aren't. I think that's what happened with Disco: when they finally realized they had gone too far in S1, they tried hard to correct in S2, but it was too late and not very believable. (Okay, sure, Pike hates holograms, and that's why they weren't on Kirk's Enterprise. Why does that affect literally every other ship over the course of the next 100+ years?)

If, in Picard, they wanted to introduce a complex backstory that requires old Disco shuttles to be used on Earth, I would be all for it. Maybe, during the evacuation of Romulus, they needed every moderately fast warp-capable ship, including TNG-era shuttles, for evacuation duty, leaving only the slow "antiques" from Disco for day-to-day stuff on Earth. That would be cool, and would be an easy way for them to make older fans happy while serving whatever legal, licensing, or creative forces are driving these changes. The problem is, they almost certainly won't do any of that. Hopefully, though, they've learned their lesson and won't throw in things that overtly and intentionally violate canon (I'm looking at you, D7 from Disco S1). That way we can at least keep our head canon and cling on to semi-plausible explanations along the lines above.

17. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Waiting for info dump...

Come on people, I wanna know everything there is to know, please.

18. Tuskin38

See I don’t think that was intentional, as we know the ship had its own name other than D7. It’s the Sech Class.

I’m guessing the writer put that in as a reference without thinking it through.

19. gvn2fly

gvn2fly Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I feel a lot of Disco's issues come from when then series was initially set up by Bryan Fuller. I've read that the Klingon look was his idea/based on his input and read an interview that said he wanted to reinvent the Klingons. Things like Spore Drive, Klingon look and plot, holograms in the pilot would have all been developed under his watch.

BuckBokaiLondonKings and KennyB like this.
  20. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore