Physical Models

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by DRACO, Mar 16, 2009.

1. DRACO

DRACO Captain Captain

ok so I've been thinking lately, how cool it would be to have a fully detailed trek ship in my room somewhere.... It would be either the E-E, E-A or original....

I might even do more than one, but I'd want them all to be in scale... with the E being the nemesis ver, with the extra phaser arrays and torp launchers...

I love the Connie but my fav is the Sovy.... so yeah

If I did more than one I'd probably focus on the Enterprises... maybe skipping the c as it seems like ust an older era Galaxy, and the B if I have to, making the priority E,A and the original TOS version, all to scale...

and if possibly, Voyager would be cool, :) maybe even the defiant

the Sovy is 680 meters, some sources say 185, (the difference barly being noticable, very minicule) while some sepulate that she shortened by 12 meters in nemeis due to editing nacelle placement... problem is, this is also very small, if your going to use images from the movies, it's virtually impossable to get a definite answer do to camara angles and the like...., so fihuring the Sovy is 680 or 685 (sources that say 680 may have rounded down for simplification) or perhaps 668-673 for the nemeis version (not confirmed, also they have have even changed the exact length of the nacels so yeah, hard telling)

and the galaxy being 641 consistenly...

and then theres the other sizes I don't remember, except for the controversial defient accepted as either 120 or 170, 170 seems way to big, 120 being a little genrous as the exact size could be 110..

other than a few indications of it being 170, the MSD and other various studies suggest 120 which is what I'm inclined to beleave considering it all...

so, what are the most detailed models out there, with a scale lare enough to have room to have the details of all the ships listed and yet still accurate in relation to one another...

which companies make the most accurate models, and which offer a line of ships using the same scale?

2. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

AMT just re-released the E-E, that's in 1/1400 scale, which puts the finished build in the 20-inch range. The C and D show up on Ebay (D moreso) and are also in 1400 scale. The rest, you'd have to hunt down resin garage kit versions. Head over to Starship Modeler. They have some available in their store and others thru links to other vendors.

3. DRACO

DRACO Captain Captain

so... that means no TOS or A in 1/1400? I figured those would be the easier ones to get o.0

thanks for the link, I've been there before, the navigation isn't the best but I'll take another look...

is the E is 20 inches, 19-19 1/2 for the D, and since the D was like a little over twice the length of the original TOS would be like 9, 9 1/2 for refit and A?

I wonder if at 9 inches it would be bigenough for all the details... well since the TOS had few details I gues it would be fine but what about the A? hmmm dunno,

and then the defiant is smaller still with several details.....

I could always make my own, with a CNc mill, but I'd have to get access to a CNC mill, and then get good enough to be able to do that.... which would be a magor pain....

hey I ust thought ods something, you know those minutres that aren't to scale with eachother, the little collectable min ships they had that where very very small? I wonder how big a scale my E-E would have to be for a little shuttle like that to fit in it... lol

4. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

If you want the easy way out, hunt Ebay for the AMT/Ertl 3-ship sets. They did one of the TOS-A-D and another of the B-C-E. They're all 1/2500 scale, which means the D and E are only in the 6" range, but at least you'll have the whole set at a constant scale.

They come in the original release "large" 11x17 boxes and smaller 12x12 re-release boxes but the contents are the same either way.

5. therealfoxbat

therealfoxbat Commander Red Shirt

It depends on which source data you accept. The published cutaway drawings of Defiant have four decks, but it was quoted on at least one episode of DS9 that there are five decks. If the main hull is five decks high, the math says a length of 170 meters is just about right...

Not only that, but the AMT model of Deep Space Nine (***IF*** you can find one) is also 1/2500 scale. It comes with a few little tiny 9 millimeter long Runabouts, too...

6. DRACO

DRACO Captain Captain

thanks for the tips,.... but as for the Defiant, one deck wont make 120 go to 170.... especially when said deck can probably be explained away as the mini-deck/storage area on the bottom.... as generally speculated....

7. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

The MiniMates Defiant seems to be of the same scale as the DS9 model, so...

8. therealfoxbat

I didn't say one deck makes the difference between 120 and 170. Five decks in the main hull makes 170 work. However, I have yet to find hard confirmation that five decks are in there. Personally, I tend to favor the idea, since it has been shown on video that the shuttle bay is a vertical launch setup (like the NX class) mounted directly under the bridge. I like to think there's more than one or two decks worth of structural bracing running along the spine of the ship above the shuttle bay...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  9. DRACO

DRACO Captain Captain

hmm, well, there's only one hull, no secondary one, it's either 4 as on the MSD or 5 as hinted at supposedly in some parts of DS9.... so thats where I got the 1

but your saying theres more than 5 total? which support decks? I doubt they'd need a whole deck or two for that.... the support would be thicker than the hull xd....

so what number did you come up with for decks? and length?

10. therealfoxbat

By "main hull" I mean the parts of the saucer hull where one can walk from port to starboard and back. (As opposed to the parts of the saucer hull that flange down to meet the warp nacelles, which might have areas where one can walk and might only have jeffries tubes...)

If the center part of the saucer hull is five standard decks high, this works out to a total length of 176.2 meters. Normally, I use the amount of space between rows of windows to measure decks. The complete and utter lack of windows on Defiant makes this difficult. Then I decided to look at the outer edge of the saucer hull. If the outer edge is one deck high (like it is on the NX class), then the center part would be five decks...

On the structural bracing, I'm talking about the shuttle bay being an area (probably two, possibly three decks high) of essentially empty space in the exact geographic center of the saucer hull. While it wouldn't necessarily take up entire decks, there is a definite need for some kind of main spinal bracing running down the center of the ship between the bridge and the shuttle bay. The NX class handles the situation a lot better, with the saucer hull being seven decks high, the shuttle bay being at the rear of the saucer hull, and twin spines running to either side of the shuttle bay leading back to the impulse drives...