Personal transporters---what??

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by aventinelover, Jan 14, 2021.

1. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It could be one way telepathy where the machine reads your mind, but can't send back info.

Humans by nature aren't a telepathic race.

Think of it as a less invasive form of Synaptic Transceiver.

2. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

This can easily be explained if the transporter is made of two parts, part one that transports part two to the destination and then part two that transports part one and the person from where they are to where it is.

3. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Also video........ That one was a bit of a headscratcher for me with TNG that they could talk to the away team and see them on the viewscreen sometimes. Where exactly was the video being captured from, and if it was the comm badges where was the camera?

nightwind1 likes this.
  4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't recall that ever happening. Got any examples?

5. Gingerbread Demon

Not off the top of my head but I am sure it's happened on away missions.

6. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

I only remember Farpoint Riker (actually Arsenal Riker) appearing on Picard's laptop in AGT

7. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

The only example I can think of off the top of my head is in "Heart of Glory" where LaForge is using the visual acuity transmitter to display how his VISOR creates a sort of vision. Which fits within the episode context.

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Visual recordings of landing party activities do exist ("Friday's Child", "And the Children Shall Lead", "Identity Crisis"). They aren't shown real time on the starship bridge, though, even though recorded in the latter case at least with a carefree head-mounted 3D camera (that is, a camera whose output can be assembled into a 3D image by a computer, even if with some gaps).

We can only wonder why not. In both "Heart of Glory" and "Arena", the heroes are actually amazed at getting such visuals, establishing it's far from standard procedure. Although admittedly the TNG case has them marveling about the VISOR rather than the act of visualizing...

Supposedly, tricorders would record everything, allowing for later creation of visuals. Whether the headgear offers better quality, a more "humane" point of view, or additional features that make 3D recreations in particular more easily achieved, we don't know. But the bridge really is out of the loop: they don't even get audio unless somebody flips his communicator or taps her badge.

Timo Saloniemi

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which can easily be explained as Riker had access to a visual terminal at Farpoint, even if the conversation was pieced together with footage from The Arsenal of Freedom where he definitely was talking into a comm badge.

10. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Jillian had the same reaction in TVH when they could see the whales even though they were not in their line of sight yet.

Search4 likes this.
  11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Discovery showed away teams having little drones following them around, perhaps we're to assume they were in TNG too but "off camera"

12. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Even if they were on camera we wouldn't know it as I suspect they can do some digital editing. Hell, we can even do it today!

13. KamenRiderBlade

Maybe the Video Recording that we see of the show are the silent floating drones used to capture footage for us.

bryce likes this.
  14. Gingerbread Demon

That's a cool detail I really haven't noticed. Are there any decent examples.

I remember there was a camera called the Lily that never went to market that was like that. Some crowdfunded idea that just never got going.

15. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tricorders record visuals without having lenses. For all we know, commbadges in TNG already do that, too, and a landing party of three already provides enough visual data for the construction of a fully 3D presentation of them and their surroundings. Or at least the tricorders on the people do, even if not waved around.

Perhaps the constructing takes nontrivial computing time, though, so it is not done in real time in the usual case?

We never get dialogue to confirm that the boss on the bridge could not see. We merely learn he or she does not, and thus asks seemingly stupid questions. Preference or tech limitation? So far, we decide.

Timo Saloniemi

16. PatrickGood

PatrickGood Ensign Newbie

I like this idea.
    I was thinking that the personal transporters had a sort of stasis field that turned everything transported into what was effectively a single particle, and sent that through subspace. no scans , no assembly or reassembly, and no buffers needed. But no biofilters either. The things do have to be telepathic, precognitive, or have an AI that knows the user better than they know themselves to work as they do in the show ( Google after 1400 years, shudder).
    Both ideas would mean transporters no longer tear you apart at the atomic level.

17. KamenRiderBlade

Not necessarily a "Single Particle", that's a bad use of the term Particle; but a "Single object" to fold space around.
    Because folded space transporter doesn't dissassemble & reassemble a target at a molecular level, there are certain advantages to using that method.

But there might be other advantages of traditional Transporters.

18. Gingerbread Demon

Folding space is how Book's ship can be both small and big at the same time and how he can make it change size.

19. KamenRiderBlade

No, I think his ship does that because it's a transformer.

It's more than meets the eye =P

TimeIsAPredator likes this.
  20. Gingerbread Demon

Haha.......

But seriously Book has to have some kind of folding space technology or space compression because how was his ship so small in some scenes yet he had those trance worms onboard and they seemed rather large yet in some scenes the ship seems rather small so some fancy magic is going on there.

Speaking of transformers now they have become real..... They move by themselves.

27 servos drive this and over 60 chips