Personal transporters---what??

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by aventinelover, Jan 14, 2021.

1. aventinelover

aventinelover Lieutenant Red Shirt

Given how quickly technology can miniaturize and advance in a century let alone 900 or so years, I have no trouble accepting that the 32nd Cent. combadges can combine so many functions (PADD, tricorder, communicator) along with a power source and be accessible through a personal holo-projector. The one thing I cannot wrap my head around is the personal transporter. Setting aside that the whole concept of the transporter is a bit "magical" technology wise, I can accept that it too can be miniaturized into the badge. What I can't understand is how the bloody thing works??!! Every time we see one used, it's just pressed/activated and it takes the user to where they want to go, but how does it know where the user wants to go? I've seen no voice commands, or other input pre-activation. No indication at all that the destination was somehow input into the badge. So, how does it know where to take the user to?? Can anyone clue me in?? Am I missing something?

2. Fateor

Fateor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's probably telepathic... You know... Like Holodeck interfaces now...

Noah_23, ITDUDE and jackoverfull like this.
  3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most of the time we see the "double tap" (i.e. the user taps twice on the tricom badge). That's the HOME function. Meaning, it returns the person being transported to wherever they last came from.

A single tap, OTOH, activates a holographic coordinate system where the user can select where they want to go. I can't remember if we ever actually saw anybody do this, but it's there.

4. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

They can do all these things, but easily break when stepped on :lol:

Qonundrum likes this.
  5. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Linus feels your pain.

6. Ghel

Ghel Captain Captain

To be fair, cell phones today can do amazing things from streaming television to performing calculations, to personal banking and shopping to photography but are also easily breakable if stepped on. I could see future tech being relatively robust and water resistant but not made to be stomped on by the heel of a boot.

Corran Horn likes this.
  7. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

The most interesting thing about a personal transporter is that it transports itself, so it manages rematerialisation while dematerialised. Impressive. Most impressive.

Thowra, Rhodan, bryce and 10 others like this.
  8. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

As bullshit as it admittedly seems I guess they're just following the direction of travel seen when Janeway and Leonardo Da Vinci beamed themselves to safety with that drinks flask-sized personal transporter and the combadge-sized one from Nemesis.

If Starfleet had the Nemesis version in 2379 they'd no doubt have something a bit better 800 years later.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Technically they should be combining this with Scotty and Spock's transwarp beaming formula to teleport anywhere in the galaxy. In the first episode I thought Book was jumping Michael to different planets each time, but apparently not.
    I recall this being debated about the Nemesis version. It was single use, so it could plausibly leave some parts behind. Maybe this version uses a micro replicator to do same, or holographic "machinery" which somehow takes a few seconds to fade away (as some TNG and Disco holos seem to)

10. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

I like to think that "personal transporters" have some kind of external infrastructure, like cell phones which appear to be autonomous at first glance but actually rely on a network of cell towers, GPS satellites etc to function.
    I'm not sure this entirely works with how they're portrayed, but it makes me feel better.

Enterprise1701, Jadeb, Kor and 6 others like this.
  11. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

You would think given that programmable matter and all that exists that things wouldn't smash up like a 21st century phone

Qonundrum and NCC-73515 like this.
  12. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

They don't.
    The comm-badges likely send a signal to the target coordinates and then move there.
    It would be like a ship going to Warp essentially.

13. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Could be. I mean, is it a self-contained personal transporter or is it a remote control button for a transporter that is elsewhere?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  14. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Transporters are magic. The way they supposedly worked never made any sense.

Enterprise1701, Cyrus and Jack Wolfe like this.
  15. Angry Fanboy

Rubbish. The way transporters work makes perfect sense within the fictional constraints of the show.

16. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Magic wands make perfect sense within the fictional constraints of Harry Potter. That does not mean that the word salad of Star Trek teleportation makes any sense at all in terms of real physics and science.

"The Miracle Transporter from RonCo! It slices, it dices. It moves people back and forth between universes, splits them in two and before you know it, puts them back together again! Merge two whole people into one! Make them younger, then make them older again! And, with the Pattern Buffer attachment - available at no extra cost if you order now - scatter their atoms all over space and bring them back alive!"

Trek transporters are, to use your word, "rubbish."

Damn things must be powered by Red Kryptonite.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  17. Angry Fanboy

Why engage with this sort of conversation at all then if you're basically going to argue that none of it is real anyway? People know this.

Yes it's fictional technology depicted by a science-fiction show. Well done for noticing.

Paul Weaver, Kor, Markonian and 3 others like this.
  18. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With a whole lot of inconsistencies and specialized attributes thrown in for specific plot purposes.

TNG:Realm of Fear, for example. From what we are told about transporter tech, how can Barclay grab someone out of the transporter stream in mid-transport?

19. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

I assumed the personal transporters just send a signal to the ship's transporter and initiates a site-to-site transport, not that the actual badge has a tiny transporter in it. Not sure if that's contradicted by anything on-screen.

Qonundrum likes this.
  20. Angry Fanboy

Because if you want something enough and your heart is pure wondrous things can happen.

Markonian likes this.