News Pegg: Star Trek Beyond Marketing Was Bad

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by AutoAdmin, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Solo is a much better movie though. Not great, but certainly more than serviceable.

Beyond had probably made nearly as much as it ever will. Solo may not break even now, but I'll be sold and broadcast forever - it's a Star Wars film.

Solo will go into profit eventually.

2. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Some of us don’t do cinema trips. I bought the digital stream and dvd, and almost bought it again on iTunes this week...Beyond that is. Solo. Yeah, I’ll buy the blue. But I think I enjoyed beyond more than TLJ.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They're still selling and broadcasting Star Trek films and TV shows. Beyond will keep making money for Paramount.

I wonder if Nemesis has turned a profit yet?:lol:

4. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

No films actually make a profit.

Studio A wants to make a Sharkman movie. It sets up a new company called 'Studio A Sharkman Ltd.' and licences the rights to Sharkman to the new studio for $500 million.

'Studio A Sharkman Ltd.' spends $150million making the film and $150million marketing it. Sharkman is a hit and makes $450million.

Studio A is owed $500million by 'Studio A Sharkman Ltd.' which pays the $450 million and is then closed down.

Studio A has a hit Sharkman movie, $450million in the bank and is still owed the other $50 million, which it writes off. There is no profit.

That might not be 'quite' how it works, but it's certainly one model for Hollywood accounting I've seen discussed.

jaime likes this.
  5. Garth Rockett

Garth Rockett Commodore Commodore

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Garth Rockett likes this.