News Pegg: Star Trek Beyond Marketing Was Bad

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by AutoAdmin, Mar 27, 2018.

1. AutoAdmin

AutoAdmin Machine of Death Administrator

A new news article has been published at TrekToday:

Simon Pegg has an explanation for why Star Trek Beyond didn’t do well at the box office. “I think it was poorly...

Continue reading...

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

He probably has a point about the marketing, but I thought the movie was poor too.

3. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

... Agreed!

4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like Star Trek Beyond. But Simon Pegg is right the marketing for the move could've been done than copying the Fast and the Furious theme in their tv ads .

5. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked the movie a lot, although not quite as much as Star Trek and Into Darkness. I guess the marketing may be to blame, but they felt like events, whereas Beyond was just another franchise movie.

Vger23, Khan 2.0, Malaika and 2 others like this.
  6. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Of course, the idiots Pegg, Jung, and Lin making sure the only marketing for the film was "Look everyone, we've made Sulu gay!", along with Pegg's heterophobic online ranting, didn't contribute to the film's awful performance at all. . . .

Pegg is an absolute clown. Nothing he has to say about anything, especially Star Trek, interests me. He's a shit actor who openly hates straight people.

7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Warning for trolling with homophobia sauce. Comments to "Please don't pretend that you were expecting any other result."

8. lawman

lawman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow, that went downhill fast.

FWIW, I think Pegg is frankly brilliant, and I've enjoyed every movie he's ever written. And, of course, it's absurd to accuse him (or his cowriter or director) of having control over the marketing that he, himself, is complaining about here.

What I particularly like is his implicit acknowledgement that the previous two films were criticized (and not unfairly) for merely being "disguised as Star Trek" rather than the real thing. Beyond, on the other hand, felt a lot like a TOS episode in many ways. And that's a good thing.

JonnyQuest037, jaime and Adagio like this.
  9. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I seem to recall a lot of discussion about how late and how lightweight the marketing push for STB was at the time.

10. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

It certainly didn't help that there were adverts that gave away the Edison reveal.

11. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's funny, of all the NuTrek movies Beyond is the one I dislike the least (still not great but at least it stays above Nemesis or TFF).

INACTIVERedDwarf and lawman like this.
  12. Rahul

Rahul Commodore Commodore

The problem with Beyond is: It looked bland.
    Because it kinda' was. It was a "back-to-the-roots" apporach to the characters (which was nice, but barely registers as something "new" or unexpected), and the whole story was basically a glorified shuttle-crash episode with a generic badguy.

I like this movie BTW.
    But it's very HARD to make a convincing trailer out of the material. It just looked bland, and there were no over the top emotional outbursts serving as trailer material (which the previous two JJ Trek movies are chock-full off). I remember being bombared with trailers for 'Beyond' at the time - that even showed ALL the visual highlights, from the space station to the final battle - but none of them actually left a strong impression.

Keeper and Khan 2.0 like this.
  13. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't want to repeat what I said in the other thread so I'll just summarize my thoughts by saying that I agree and disagree with him. For one, while marketing was bad, it still reflected the movie they have created and they also were, as a team, the first to promote the movie in a way that was reductive, bland and boring. They gave very little to the media to use in order to create buzz around the movie.

Second, blaming it all on marketing may suggest he isn't able to honestly look at the whole picture and thus what might be the issues in the movie itself and therefore why the audience who loved the first two didn't all come back and make beyond successful too. Blaming marketing only seems to be a way to not take any responsibility.

If his intention was criticizing the first two and pretending his movie is more trek(tm), I'd not only have to disagree with him but I'd have to find the intention/opinion very lame too.

The first two, that are more successful than his movie, were trek too and they were loved by both non-trek fans and old fans.
    Beyond placating fans with nostalgia by doing stuff like giving Mccoy and Scotty more screentime, and bring back the old trio dynamic at the expense of the new dynamics jj&co had made the face of this trek, doesn't make the movie more 'trek' than the first two. It just makes it more nostalgia but there is absolutely nothing inherently more 'trek' in beyond's plot than the first two. If anything, certain aspects like trying to restore the original trio and sidelining Uhura (and Sulu) to focus on the white guys more (and make Karl third lead instead of Zoe, like it was for JJ) may make the movie go backwards on the very 'trek ideals' Pegg himself and other fans like to preach about.
    Tos may be beloved, but it wasn't flawless and it often contradicted (or didn't do enough) those Gene's ideals that fans like to preach about because it still was a thing made in the 60s that inevitably looks outdated nowadays. So no, making a tos episode isn't necessarily a good thing especially if limited to bringing back the less contemporary and progressive aspects of tos.

Anyway trek =/= tos homages and/or listening to those who want to 'make it like tos'.
    There would be nothing bad in wanting more nostalgia and homage but fans trying to always pass it as another thing is pretentious and self-contradictory because, again, there is nothing here making the other movies less 'trek'.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    STEPhon IT likes this.
  14. jaime

jaime Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uhura is still very much a lead, more so in Beyond tbh, and it’s the only film in the reboot series where any exploration is going on. I preferred it to the others by a mile.

15. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Compared to ST09 and especially STID which milked the presence of Cumberbatch like a heavily uddered cow, the marketing of STB was utter crap!

16. jaime

jaime Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It does have a nicer poster than the others though. They went all out and splashed on something that wasn’t mostly blue ink.

17. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

wonder what the trailers/promos etc would've been like for Orcis ST3..maybe something similar to Force Awakens with the big Shatner reveal at the end of the 2nd trailer

Saul likes this.
  18. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

While it was a major spoiler, that ad was really really cool.

"You'll probably never see us again. But if you do... be ready."

Malaika likes this.
  19. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

They were so foolish not to make that movie.

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

That's true.