Patrick Stewart has seen first 5 episodes, hopes fans won't be disappointed

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by NCC-73515, Nov 14, 2019.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I appreciate the encouragement but at this point I'm too worn out. Just been a long week emotionally.

2. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

I agree.

I've given every Star Trek series the audition it deserves and will continue to do so regardless of what any "true fan" thinks. More than one series has rewarded my attention more often than not, more than one series has disappointed me more often than not. Picard gets the same opportunity as any other.

Crewman6 likes this.
  3. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry to hear that! Best of luck to you.

4. Alan Roi

Honestly, I can't imagine this show being as much as slog as the Berman era shows were from some to most of their runs. Surprise me, Picard.

Lord Garth and Danja like this.
  5. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

There's only ten episodes per season.

It's much more condensed. There isn't the sense of "How are we going to fill our 22?" that you get with Berman Trek.

MrPicard and Alan Roi like this.
  6. Alan Roi

I've seen several scifi shows over the past couple years who, despite only having only 8-13 eps still managed to suffer from that Berman era problem.

Danja likes this.
  7. fireproof78

Picard already surprised me with somebody who smokes :eek:

Danja likes this.
  8. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the 24th Century, smoking cures cancer.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Clearly Tom Paris was dead wrong in "Ex Post Facto(VOY)" when he said humanity had abandoned smoking. ;) He generalized, which is what many characters throughout the franchise have done when expounding on how "perfect" and "utopian" mankind had become since the 20th century.

Eric1981 likes this.
  10. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

In TWOK-TSFS, there was a "No Smoking" sign in the Transporter Room. They wouldn't need it if no one smoked. Then St. Talbot smoked in TFF. It was a more recent phenomenon than VOY would lead someone to believe and I lean heavily toward he was generalizing. I think Humans out on the frontier and living on colonies have more vices than those on Earth itself. Paris wanted to paint himself as more of a bad-ass than he really was.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  11. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Yep. Humanity still has many of its current-day vices in the distant future but we just don't allow them to define our entire culture or poison the environment.

Lord Garth likes this.
  12. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

1994 - Shatner was 63 when he did it, and that was the last time he appeared in a feature film as James T. Kirk. (He did a Star Trek skit in full costume playing Kirk for the Oscars back in 2013 at age 82 - but that was about two minutes tops.) ;)

It's synthi-smoke...promotes lung regeneration, and is great for Kids and plants. :wtf::shrug:;)

Admiral Picard and Crewman6 like this.
  13. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Hopefully like a high-priced Call-girl though.
    :drool:

Danja likes this.
  14. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

You're always going to get people like Rios -- people who raise the proverbial middle finger at humanity.

Lord Garth likes this.
  15. fireproof78

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cooleddie74, Danja and Lord Garth like this.
  16. Lord Garth

Kirk had a cigar in TUC too. Like Martia told Kirk, "This'll help keep you warm." And it didn't exactly look like his first smoke. He's been around the block.

17. Blooded

Blooded Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've got to say, that this is the first time you feel you've got this attitude towards Trek, but have then suddenly decided that you are "done" as a result, is somewhat baffling. Probably exactly the kind of attitude you say you've been speaking out against the past ten years, too?

Never stop liking things just because someone says it sucks. You like what you like, don't engage with people who make you feel like shite for liking it.

My post was a general statement about the choice of words and attitude in the post I was quoting. They presented as the typical "fan" response to any new content put out these days, whatever the franchise/fandom.

Being on the side of good the majority of the time doesn't give one a free pass when they decide to become exactly what they've been fighting against :D

Honestly, you do you, but I can't wrap my head around this way of thinking, and it seems like you're cutting your nose off to spite your face, so to speak? Why are you "done liking stuff others don't?" Are you only allowed to like things that everyone else likes? You can't just enjoy what you want to enjoy?

Let it fly over your head, friend. Half the people spouting hate at things don't even feel the way they claim they do, and half the time haven't even seen what they're bitching about. The other half are still watching, despite supposedly hating it ;)

antinoos, Lord Garth and Danja like this.
  18. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)

"... think of all the joy you'll find, when you leave the world behind..."
    :biggrin:

19. Lord Garth

Oh, I happen to have had some experience in that area, dealing with others who act the way you describe and then some. Let's just say I'm confident fireproof78 won't take it that far. ;)

I don't stick up for people lightly.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Blooded likes this.
  20. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

No doubt a major story arc of PIC will be the cigar's struggle to be recognized as a sentient being. ;)

antinoos and Noname Given like this.