Ok. What is the chance of a Picard spinoff?

Akiva Goldsman?
Henry Alonzo
Akiva most definitely needs some guidance with his approach to Trek. A few good episodes on SNW, but some very divisive ones on the other shows.

Could be worse. See his work on Titans.

I'd have more confidence in Henry Alonso Myers.
Good thing he works on SNW then.
How active is Goldsman in Titans? He's one of several producers. And frankly the the show, which is not all that good, smells more of Geoff Johns and Greg Berlanti .

Yes, but now we have the heir apparent in Terry Matalas. And the fans have spoken.

Right?
It has long been said that Kevin Feige is a big Star Trek fan. Credible rumors suggest that Feige and Matalas met before the strike. 20th Century Studios (the post-Disney acquisition 20th Century Fox) President Steve Asbell (a recurring guest on the Inglorious Treksperts podcast) is also happy with his work. So, no matter what happens Trek wise, Matalas is now on some prominent people's radars.

Petition now over 57k... a few thousand more, and it will have doubled SNW's as of the green lighting of the later.

The Wrap, probably the most entertainment industry coverage site that isn't owned by Penske (Variety, Deadline, Hollywood Reporter) has an (unfortunately paywalled) article up calling on Paramount+ to make a PICARD spinoff. Hopefully the article gets ported over soon to say MSN and we can see it all...

^^^ The Wrap editorial calling for a PICARD spin off has now been republished by Yahoo and MSN.

Some highlights:
"Star Trek: Picard" is the most successful "Star Trek" show streaming today, according to viewership data from Samba TV. Not only did the Season 3 premiere perform well for Paramount+, topping the Season 4 premiere of "Star Trek Discovery" by more than 40%, but momentum built week after week as showrunner Terry Matalas and colleagues reintroduced a delightful cadence of familiar fan-favorite characters with each episode.

Buzz for the quality of the programming delivered an 89% score on Rotten Tomatoes and ultimately helped the series finale draw in 51% more viewers than the premiere when measuring initial four-day viewership.

Where Paramount+ grew its audience by more than half from premiere to finale, Disney+'s "The Mandalorian" shed 14% of its audience between its Season 3 premiere and finale. The numbers don't lie: "Star Trek: Picard" is the way.

Not only did "Picard" build its audience week after week, it drew in the demographic every streamer is clamoring to capture today. Impressively, for a show featuring characters from the 1990s, "Picard" managed to succeed where so many throwback programs have failed. It overindexed with Gen Z audiences who weren't alive the last time the crew of the Enterprise D (and E) appeared together.

With a strong and growing Gen Z audience base bringing in new fans to the now more than half-century-old Gene Roddenberry-created "Trek" universe, "Picard" also scored with high-income households. These homes are most likely to cycle through multiple streaming subscriptions. While resisting subscription cycling may be futile for some streamers, prioritizing new storylines that bring together characters that audiences already know and love can give Paramount a competitive advantage for retaining subscribers.

For Paramount, the data points to a perfect opportunity to double down on what works and tap into the multitude of storylines that connect the "Trek" of today with what has delighted fans for so many years. While Stewart has stated he has no interest in fronting another season of "Picard," he and the entire cast have also shared their willingness to revisit their characters as part of a larger "Next Generation"-era legacy project. From Sisko and crew on "Deep Space Nine" to Janeway's "Voyager," the Paramount mountain is chock full of the kind of characters that have inspired audiences for generations.
Increasing the audience 51% from season premiere to finale. Over-indexing Gen Z. Maybe a Legacy series wouldn't be a stagnant culs-de-sac after all?

Increasing the audience 51% from season premiere to finale. Over-indexing Gen Z. Maybe a Legacy series wouldn't be a stagnant culs-de-sac after all?

Ok, now lets see how it goes without the TNG cast returning.

Listen, it's not the idea of a 25th century series set onboard a Starship that anybody has a problem with. The problem is with how this theoretical series will be written.

Lord Terry has already basically said he would doubledown on the nostalgia wank. THAT is where some people, myself included, have a problem.

No one can deny that Picard season 3 was a success. It had an almost a perfect formula for how to make a widely appealing season of television. The problem is, by most accounts, is that they've drank their own kool-aid and want to drown us in the nostalgia.

That can work for an "event" season of television, but it won't necessarily work for a potentially ongoing series.

Call it nostalgia wank. Call it Member Berries. Call it whatever you want. But I call it stagnation. And it gets boring, fast. It's bringing nothing new to the table in any substantial way and I can't see it appealing much to new viewers who won't give a shit about references to shit from the 90's they've never seen.

But no doubt, it will happen. Eventually. And we'll get all the LCARS you could ask for. We'll visit DS9. Well check in on Lt. Harry Kim. We'll hear all the buzz words people want to hear.

I'll say it for the umpteenth time....

We'll Boldly Go Where We've Already Gone Before....

I won't deny 90s Trek has a special place in my heart. But it's not the 90s anymore, the rest of the world has moved on. So too should Star Trek.

Watching Legacy would likely feel like being Hedonism Bot from Futurama. "Oh Djambi, drop another memberberry into my mouth."

I find this sentiment so odd.

TOS debuted in 1966 and was cancelled in 1969. It could have ended there and we all could have moved on. But fans persisted. TAS brought the cast back 4 years later in 1973-74. We could have moved on. We didn't, we got 6 more TOS movies in 1979, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1989, and 1991. 22 years after TOS was cancelled, the last TOS movie came out.

We STILL didn't move on. Kirk was back in Generations 1994, 25 years after being cancelled. And we STILL didn't move on.

We got the TOS reboot/Kelvin films in 2009, 2013, 2016. We are noelw 47 years post cancellation. And we STILL didn't move on.

DISCO debuted in and brought us Spock's sister, and the return of Sarek & Amanda & the Enterprise herself. They were back in S2, along with Pike/Spock/ and Una and Una. In 2018, 49 years after cancellation. And still we didn't move on.

SNW debuted in 2022. Spock, Pike, Una, Chapel, Uhura, Kirks. Now 53 years cancellation. And still these characters are in new episodes.

DISCO is in its final season, but the advenutes continues in the 32nd with Academy & the S31 movie. No moving on there.

PRO brought back Janeway & Chakotay over 20 years after VOY went off the air. O'Brien & Worf bridged TNG to DS9, and Ro was supposed to.

PIC gave the TNG crew a fantastic bow 30 years after TNG and 20 years after Nemesis.

And NOW we get the move on crowd? I don't get it.

There's a place for BOTH (even Disco brought in Spock and Pike).

How much whining has there been from the Fandom Menace ever since Disco jumped to the 32nd century? ("THIS IS BREAKING FROM CANON!" :eek: )

The fans say they want innovation, yet whenever Trek does it (Picard S1-S2, Disco S3-S4), the fans pitch a fit! :rolleyes:

ETA: I wish Evan, Isa, Santiago, and Alison hadn't been tossed over the side. :(

DISCO debuted in and brought us Spock's sister, and the return of Sarek & Amanda & the Enterprise herself. They were back in S2, along with Pike/Spock/ and Una and Una. In 2018, 49 years after cancellation. And still we didn't move on.

Fandom Menace: "WHAT sister? Spock doesn't have a sister!"

These people are still hung up on Spock having a brother. :rolleyes: ("He didn't appear in the Original Series!" :scream: )

Last edited:
There is a place for nostalgia. But nostalgia cannot sustain an entire television series. Star Trek: Legacy would need to find ways to innovate and move past nostalgia if it were to succeed. There's a reason Gene Roddenberry called it Star Trek: The Next Generation instead of just trying to lure Shatner, Nimoy, and co. back to television.

Back