Now that the strike is over, whither Season 3?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Nov 19, 2023.

1. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I love me some Strange New Worlds and I certainly wouldn't turn away more episodes. But I don't want more episodes just for the sake of having more episodes. I want the right number of episodes of a season/series that are needed to tell the story. Case in point: Yeah, I could have used more of SNW season 2. It was amazing. Great characterization, amazing stories, wonderful arc overall. On the other hand, Picard season 3 could have told a much tighter story in six episodes. There was way too much meandering and what was spent on filling time could have been minimized greatly.

Just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

JHarper, kkt, burningoil and 5 others like this.
  2. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

Apples and oranges. Picard was a serialized show(really just a long movie broken into 10 separate parts) with one storyline while SNW is episodic and tells many stories. While the old standard of 26 might be too much, 10 is WAY to few. Not for a show this good. There should be 15 episodes at the very least. That would be the sweet spot IMO.

3. Campe

Yeah, still a believer in the whole leave them wanting more thing.

kkt, burningoil, The Wormhole and 3 others like this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same.

The law of diminishing returns is very real in my experience.

5. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

They could do 15 episodes and still leave us all wanting more. There's no reason to believe otherwise.
    I am not advocating more for the sake of more because that can lead to a lot of chaff among the wheat. We see that a lot in the last couple of seasons of TNG but there's no reason that the fan base should be content with settling for a mere 10 episodes per season. Let's face it there is a wide range between 10 and 20+. They can, and should, do more than 10. 15 sounds like a reasonable compromise.

6. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure the actors would also love to be paid for more episodes and not have to hustle for other work as much.

Yeah, I personally would like it if SNW were 15 or even 12 episodes a season. 10 episodes a season seems about right for Lower Decks.

7. Campe

With the exception of 2021 (likely due to COVID), since 2020, there have been over 30 episodes of Star Trek a year. (2020 - 32, 2021 - 18, 2022 - 41, 2023 - 45). In 2024, we will likely have 40 episodes (10 of Disco, 10 of Lower Decks and 20 of Prodigy). Not only am I interested in fewer episodes per series, I love the idea of having different tales being told with different crews. While Discovery for me is not as good as it was the first few seasons, I love that audience is getting another season, and while I enjoy Prodigy, its not really targeted to me, but I love that audience is getting more episodes. I do like Lower Decks and am excited for those episodes.

Point is: There are limited resources, even when it comes to filmmaking. I would sacrifice a few episodes of a show I like so that other audiences can have what they like. We have not even begun to see what the aftermath from the strikes is. And I don't think it will be MORE episodes of Star Trek per season. In any incarnation.

8. Doctorossi

Doctorossi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Meanwhile, I would happily sacrifice all 10 episodes of a Lower Decks season for even just 1 more episode of Strange New Worlds. :)

Serveaux, Okmyx and Noname Given like this.
  9. fireproof78

Agree on all points. There is no need to cater to my tastes, and I don't see this increase of 15 episodes with increasing costs across the board.

10. trekfan_1

trekfan_1 Commander Red Shirt

Another factor is Anson Mount (and possibly other performers) probably not wanting to do more than 10 episodes. Actors want flexibility these days. I I'd take 5 seasons and 50 episodes of Anson Mount, rather than 75 episodes without him/ or being MIA for allot the show to its detriment.

11. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    I'm sure the writers and other production personnel would love to have the increased stability to their paychecks, residuals, and guild health insurance plans with another few episodes to the season to keep them working on a regular basis.

12. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

13. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

14. fireproof78

Watch caps make a come back in Starfleet service.

kkt likes this.
  15. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

5 Trek series is overkill. Even though there are only 10-13 episodes season. We already need a break after 6 years. Lol

16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hardly.

Omegaphallic and HotRod like this.
  17. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Not with such a wide variety. I mean, Enterprise was pure franchise fatigue because it refused to be an actual prequel. But after the seriousness of, say, Picard, a viewer might be ready for the goofy fun of "Lower Decks".

Commander Troi and JRob94 like this.
  18. Dar70

We had 4 lousy years between Enterprise and the 2009 film. It's been pretty much non stop Trek since 1987.....most of the product we have gotten since 2009 shows that it needs a creative break imo.

19. fireproof78

How so?

If it isn't for everyone (and what Trek is?) that doesn't mean it's time for a break. I mean, creatively, we have a larger variety than how VOY, and ENT felt the same. What's the break need and why is this funny?:shrug:

Commander Troi likes this.
  20. Dar70

I just feel there is Too much mediocre Trek right now.....

FederationHistorian likes this.