Nostalgia for the 24th Century

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Emperor Norton, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Captain Captain

I grew up in the era of TNG and that was my series. I did not see DS9 until recently, because it was hard to get into. I saw VOY and ENT, and the decline of Star Trek. And coming out of the TNG era, I fell in love with TOS. It was different, it had been neglected when everything was Picard and Borg, and it satiated some hipster moods. It was the original which had been ignored, criticized or pushed to the side for too long in Star Trek fandom and culture, which needed to be revered and defended. So I became a TOShead.

However, things changed and it is all going back to the Original Star Trek, with the TNG era beginning to feel pushed to the side. The movie series was a reboot of the Original Series, the new TV series is circa TOS, merchandising is back to the Original Star Trek. Even the Star Trek font found on products is the TOS Star Trek font again. And in this era, I find myself nostalgic for the 24th century. Am I the only one?

Sebastian STR and Danlav05 like this.
  2. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I dunno. To the world outside of Trek fandom 24th century Trek was just one phase of a commercial franchise. That's why Abrams understood that Kirk and Spock and company were the foundation of the thing.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

4. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I could go for some new 24th century novels set during the various series. I just have no interest in the new stuff being put out by Pocket (outside of TOS).

6. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

TNG still plays quite liberally on BBC America, and I have all 7 seasons on BR disk. I think it's still alive and well...even though recent developments in the franchise have seen things gravitate back toward the TOS era.

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

All of the Trek shows (which includes the three set in the 24th century) are also currently airing six nights a week on H&I.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm curious about the fallout from Romulus' destruction, but otherwise not really.

That's not to say a new Trek set in that era couldn't be awesome. I just associate it with talky, dated episodes of TNG and I'm at a place in my life where I prefer the action-adventure of TOS

Vger23 likes this.
  9. Emperor Norton

There is a factor of a time having passed which will never come again. I was part of the 90s Trek explosion. The ubiquitous entity of "Star Trek" and the saturation of it was the 24th century TNG era. And everything was based off of that, and when you thought of Star Trek, it was that. When you found something Star Trek, it was that. And that has passed. There are no more 24th century shows to be experienced, and even if there were, that is not the culture of Star Trek right now and never will be again.

Sebastian STR and Danlav05 like this.
  10. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here, agreed and me too.

11. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    Me want like a 30th century Trek push forward or go home!

USS Triumphant and PhotoBoy like this.
  12. Emperor Norton

Whatever happened to the TNG font, while we're on the topic? Even TNG books now do not use that font, nor is the substitute font anything unique.

13. Hey Missy

Hey Missy Captain Captain

It migrated off the novel covers and into the end credits for Beyond. ;)

14. Voth commando1

I hope then the novelverse will take up the slack. Because out of all the shows(not including TAS) 3 of them take place in between 2300-2400. TOS is great and will always have the hearts of the fandom but Star Trek at its meatiest, funniest, darkest, most serious, most depth, and soul was the 24th century.

15. Emperor Norton

Aye, but for all the novels and merchandising and whatever it may be, there's never going to be the point in time again where an 8 year old is playing with a Captain Picard action figures and he isn't doing anything different from anyone else his age. It is a time that has passed and I miss it.

Sebastian STR likes this.
  16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone else flashing back to TOS fans feeling their favourite Trek had been sidelined in the 24th-century-tastic 90's?

plynch likes this.
  17. JonVP

JonVP Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I became a Trek-fan when TNG aired (in my country it wasn't until 1992). I wasn’t even born yet when TOS came out. So there’s a special connection with the 24th century.

That being said, I’m a fan of the Trek-universe first. So for me, as long as the story they’re telling is good, it doesn’t really matter in which century it takes place.

Nyotarules likes this.
  18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The books used to really stand out on the shelves with the TV show font, not so much anymore.

19. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh yeah, nostalgia for the 24th century is there. But I don't necessarlily want to see another Trek series during TNG.

I want to see a new Trek series after Nemesis, that has it's own, unique style, that is neither trying to be TNG nor TOS. That tries to take the best of both worlds (the colors, wackiness and emotions from TOS, and the thoughtfullness and themes from TNG), but that also creates it's own unigue, new und unexpected flair.

Lynx, PhotoBoy and C.E. Evans like this.
  20. Voth commando1

If people are unwilling for the far future why not a 25th or 26th century Trek?