Nostalgia for the 24th Century

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Emperor Norton, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Hey Missy

Hey Missy Captain Captain

The Enterprise-D was too comfy.
    But DS9 wasn't comfy enough!

2. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Captain Captain

Well everything was breaking down at first, but the accents and crown molding are simply darling.

3. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

i'm so with you on this!!! I almost had to check I didn't write this myself years ago!!

I became a fan around 1993/94 through TNG, my family and I watched Voyager and I love DS9. They were my 3 shows, I largely ignored ENT at the time but I discovered TOS through the New Voyages fan series, thus becoming a 'born again' fan after years away.

(NOTE: I tend to use the 'Next Generation' name as an umbrella for TNG, DS9 and VOY, as an era more than a show.)

The Enterprise-D is above and beyond my favourite of the ships, I love the set designs and the exterior is beautiful. Deep Space Nine was an impressive design. It's interesting how CBS and JJ went back to the beginning however. I'm British, I suspect that is an American thing as TNG seems more popular over here, I could be wrong?

Don't forget, the TNG had a flurry of comics, videogames and even The Experience based on the 24th Century. The series was remastered on BluRay and looks brand new. The Borg were the big baddies, and so got a movie and ride event at the Experience. I never went but I've read up.

Nostalgia is I guess a personal thing but also something one can share. As a fan film follower I admit I was annoyed that show after show after show were almost literally lining up to produce a TOS-based film, but we had gems like Hidden Frontier (to me THE fifth show) and Intrepid, among others.

TNG is still being published by Pocket Books and IDW Publishing, TOS hasn't completely pushed it back - there is some market dominance, and by that I mean they don't have to make you squint to see TNG. In fact DS9, VOY and ENT are the ones that are having book/DVD rereleases but are barely touched - the Waypoint comics are the first four-colour stories for those shows in years.

Characters still appear in the Online/Timelines videogame, and The Starfleet Academy Experience thing in New York is a Galaxy class ship, but yes I'd like to see some of the characters back and maybe recieve closure. Nemesis left me feeling cold, so I feel there is unfinished buisiness on screen.

I am a fan of the "Renegades" fan film becasue it brings several people back from DS9 and VOY as well as Chekov and Uhura (I'm ignoring the changes for The Requiem, folks, same characters, same actors, just different names).

TOS seems the dominant brand, absolutely. There is still a flavour for it though if you look. I guess it's a trends thing. After Enterpise ended and CBS took over the franchise from Paramount, the TOS logo came back and the Original Episodes were remastered. The JJ films followed and were very successful.

Maybe someday the balance may tip back to TNG. Saban is now cashing in on my generation's nostalgia for Mighty Morphin Power Rangers through toys, comics and a movie. The Kelvin Timeline comics still uses TNG elements too.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    Emperor Norton likes this.
  4. Danlav05

oh I loved that; i watched movies1-6 over and over. And yes the movie era crew were on merch a lot back in the day - thanks for the like, I expanded my reply somewhaat!! An exception is the 1992/93 TOS videogames which were 5 year mission;

You know it's fascinating how the balance has tipped!!

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You're probably right. When the generation that grew up on the TNG-era shows produces enough studio heads and A-list producers and directors and stars . . . they'll be in a position to reboot TNG. And it will probably happen.

They just to need to acquire that kind of clout.

Hell, Tim Burton and Johnny Depp acquired enough power to bring DARK SHADOWS back, albeit with mixed results. :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  6. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    I'm not sure about a rebooted TNG-it's too cerebral and was often not that movie esque so I'm not sure if they'd trash it or not.

7. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe so, but I doubt that will stop them from trying.:bolian:

8. Emperor Norton

The problem is that TNG is a sequel, so it is difficult to reboot. Unless you do it as a fresh reboot to the original series, a sequel to the Kelvin film series, or completely throw out TOS and make this step one in a totally new Star Trek universe. All have their own awkwardness.

Danlav05 likes this.
  9. Danlav05

My idea for a Trek reboot is tos but takes ideas from the tng era:

http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/star-trek-reboot-my-vision.253360/

Another approach that's been suggested is a Game Of Thrones-esque "Voyager: Deep Space Nine: The Next Generation' which takes ideas from all the shows to create an epic story

10. Conando

Conando Ensign Red Shirt

The 24th century has over 500 episodes of television and while I like it, I don't really need or wish for more of it.
    When I'm nostalgic for it I can just put on a random DVD.

BillJ likes this.
  11. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I get the feeling that if any Star Trek is rebooted in the future, it will be a complete reboot.

12. Horizons96

Horizons96 nel blu Red Shirt

I have a thing about the 24th century too. I love how Next Gen shows used a lot of mid-century-modern styles for their interior decorating. Even though it's inspired from 1950s/60s era, it still looks futuristic by today's standard. I love my Bodum teacups and Carlo Giannini espresso cups (regularly sipped on by Picard) too. Every year I party like it's twenty three seventy three
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  13. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Considering the real life rise in nationalism and other racial 'isms' a TV show set in the late 22nd century based on Rise of the Federation would be worth watching. How does Archer get all those races to get along in Starfleet, does it result in a confrontation that leads to a human dominated TOS Starfleet?

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Honestly, I think the third option is easy and not all that awkward. Just start a new STAR TREK series featuring the U.S.S. Enterprise in the 24th Century, featuring new versions of Picard, Data, Troi, etc. Hell, throw in Seven of Nine if you feel like it. No need to provide any sort of in-universe explanation regarding alternate timelines or whatever. Just reboot it the way you would Spider-Man or Power Rangers.

If you want, you can occasionally throw in an Easter Egg reference to a legendary Captain Kirk of years gone by, but you wouldn't have to pin it down to specifically to the Prime Kirk or the Kelvin Kirk or TOS or anything like that. You would just have a new Star Trek series, whose history includes a version of Kirk and Spock and Pike, etc.

The title is a problem, though. You'd probably want to ditch the "Next Generation" bit and just call it it STAR TREK, which is what the TNG movies did anyway. It wasn't STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION: FIRST CONTACT after all. :)

BillJ and Nyotarules like this.
  15. KelisThePoet

KelisThePoet Commander Red Shirt

You mean like truth serum, esper ratings and Klingon mind probes?

16. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    By the end of Voyager trek technology had become immensely powerful, not as powerful per se as Warhammer or Star Wars and not as powerful as was shown in the Voyager time cop episodes and Enterprise episodes with time travel.

I do concede however with that mentioned and acknowledged it would seem more and more magical the farther into the future they went.

As for me I don't want a reboot of TNG or Trek in general, continue it with the novels and comics sure.

If Trek can't endure forever in the public consciousness then it will last so long as Netflix and DVDs last.

A reboot will inevitably end up either using continual Easter eggs, and appealing to hardcore fans or jettisoning everything built in the past 50 years just for a little more papers of green.

17. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Oddly the title of this thread makes me wonder what is considered nostalgia in the 24th century? We see a little of that with Dax on the old USS Enterprise and various trips to the holosuite and holodecks for other character.

18. Emperor Norton

Not having an admiral call up to yell at you or otherwise be a jerk would be a likely point of Starfleet nostalgia. Out there on the frontier, exploring still unknown space, with the nearest safe harbor light years away.

"It was a very different time, Mister Kim. Captain Sulu, Captain Kirk, Doctor McCoy. They all belonged to a different breed of Starfleet officers. Imagine the era they lived in: the Alpha Quadrant still largely unexplored... Humanity on the verge of war with the Klingons, Romulans hiding behind every nebula. Even the technology we take for granted was still in its early stages: no plasma weapons, no multi-phasic shields... Their ships were half as fast."
    "No replicators. No holodecks. You know, ever since I took Starfleet history at the Academy, I've always wondered what it would be like to live in those days."
    "Space must have seemed a whole lot bigger back then. It's not surprising they had to bend the rules a little. They were a little slower to invoke the Prime Directive, and a little quicker to pull their phasers. Of course, the whole bunch of them would be booted out of Starfleet today. But I have to admit: I would have loved to ride shotgun at least once with a group of officers like that."

19. Danlav05

Have the Enterprise-D flying about, have Deep Space Nine as a recurring location, have a ship called Voyager get lost in the Delta Quadrant.

Don't reboot TNG. Reboot TNG, DS9 and VOY all in one fell swoop. Hell, mix up the crews!! Have EMHs on all ships annoying the hell out of Doctor Crusher, Bashir being fascinated by it and each one being it's own character developing differently. Have Riker accept captaincy of his own ship. Worf moves to deep Space Nine trying to forge a new life. Voyager comes home entirely assimailated, Janeway as the Borg Queen leading an invasion force. Have a massive war against the Borg (cough)DESTNY: The Movie(cough). Have Kirk, Spock & McCoy etc go missing 80 years ago only to resurface and have lives in the 24th Century (Yesterday's Enterprise with the TOS crew instead of Garrett?)

Basically tip the enitre toybox, not just part of it, on to the living room floor and play with the lot! Need I go on? Maybe not, but now I've started there may be no stopping me...

20. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Wrong Janeway. Do you know how big the galaxy really is? Alpha Quadrant is still largely unexplored in your century.