Spoilers No Time to Die - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Commander Richard, Sep 28, 2021.

?

Rate the movie...

1. 10 - Excellent

3.8%
  2. 9

25.0%
  3. 8

23.1%
  4. 7

19.2%
  5. 6

11.5%
  6. 5

5.8%
  7. 4

1.9%
  8. 3

1.9%
  9. 2

5.8%
  10. 1 - Terrible

1.9%
  1. wayoung

wayoung Commodore Commodore

They just added Get Smart, Again! to Amazon Prime in Canada the other week. Oddly enough, that's the only part of the franchise they have :shrug:

2. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I tried watching Matt Helm. It’s kind of amazing Dino got bigger paychecks off of that than what Connery was getting from Bond.

3. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Definition:
    Nanotechnology is generally defined as engineered structures, devices, and systems. Nanomaterials are defined as those things that have a length scale between 1 and 100 nanometers. Nanotechnology is helping to considerably improve, even revolutionize, many technology and industry sectors: information technology, homeland security, medicine, transportation, energy, food safety, and environmental science, among many others.

And

An electromagnetic pulse (EMP), also sometimes called a transient electromagnetic disturbance, is a short burst of electromagnetic energy. Such a pulse's origin may be a natural occurrence or human-made and can occur as a radiated, electric, or magnetic field or a conducted electric current, depending on the source.

EMP interference is generally disruptive or damaging to electronic equipment (engineering and medical), and at higher energy levels a powerful EMP event such as a lightning strike can damage physical objects such as buildings and aircraft structures. The management of EMP effects is an important branch of electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) engineering.

Emo-Bond's Omega wrist-watch seemed capable to shut down large mechanisms, larger than his body. I guess "No Time to Die" 's EMP only works when the writing says it does.

4. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

As far as the EMP watch, Q described its function as follows: "Contains a limited radius electromagnetic pulse. It’ll short any circuit in a hardwired network if you get close enough."

So the nanobots must not have worked on the principle of a "circuit in a hardwired network."
    And neither did Bond's earpiece comm, since that also kept working even after he used the watch.

Kor

5. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm glad this version of Bond is dead, but there were avenues the producers could have implemented to saved his life.

6. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

since magnetizing mechanical watches is a problem, it would have been funny if they'd frozen the hands after the first emp use (assuming his Omega wasn't a quartz.. Brosnan wore an Omega quartz analog in his films, at least for awhile) for nitpickers pausing in 4k. It would have blown someone's mind :hugegrin:

7. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I got the vinyl the other day. It’s funny that it has a sticker saying that it includes the brand new theme song by Billie Ellish. That song is nearly 2 years old. This vinyl has probably be stored in a warehouse collecting dust for over a year before they could release it.

8. Kor

Matt Helm and Derek Flint were comedic takes on the genre. I prefer the OSS 117 series from France in the 1960s for a more serious take, though obviously with lower budgets than the Bond movies (but the recent ones with Jean Dujardin are spoofs).

Kor

9. Foxhot

Foxhot Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In '84 my college Journalism professor claimed the actor playing Chaplin in the IBM commercials earned more money than the original Tramp ever did himself. I don't want to believe that and never have. Just don't let it be true.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Diana Rigg was paid less for the Avengers than the cameramen

11. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

and then there’s The Sandbaggers. The anti-Bond MI6.

N-121973 and diankra like this.
  12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Harry Palmer was an earlier anti-Bond (can't recall if he was MI5 or MI6 however)

13. Kor

I liked The Ipcress File and Funeral in Berlin. I thought Billion Dollar Brain was kind of silly. I don't remember if they actually said which agency Palmer worked for. And then there were a couple of cheap made-for-TV movies with Michael Caine in the 90s, but they weren't actually based on Len Deighton novels.

For more gritty realism during the '60s to early '70s spy craze days, there were a few films based on John Le Carre novels in those years: 1965's The Spy Who Came In From the Cold (excellent), 1967's The Deadly Affair (pretty good), and 1970's The Looking Glass War (rather dull).

Kor

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  14. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

When i want some real anti Bond spy stuff i enjoy the late 60s Callan tv show.

N-121973 and arch101 like this.
  15. PCz911

PCz911 Captain Captain

My little brain got hung up on nanobots.

was it Red Dwarf or Mystery Science Theater that had a running gag on nanobots?

I kept going back to that and lost the whole gravitas of the movie.

it was also too long of a movie

but I like bond movies so… there you go.

16. wayoung

wayoung Commodore Commodore

Nanobots are the new genetic engineering which was the new atomic radiation. They can do anything and everything.

17. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

End of season 7 Red Dwarf and start of season 8. But TNG had them too at the end of season 3 when they were discussing how to beat the Borg, who would later use nanobots to assimilate people in First Contact.

18. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Chaplin was extremely rich but he lost a lot of money after he was banned from the US.

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

20. Foxhot

Foxhot Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That would certainly make us forget Austin Who very quickly.