Spoilers NO SPOILERS FOR CODA - A Lit-verse Grand Finale...What We Know (Spoilers for Entire Lit-verse)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ryan123450, Nov 8, 2020.

1. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Goes back further than that, truly, as the very first scene in The Motion Picture shitcanned the climax of Spock Must Die! :rommie:

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spock said similar with his "currents of time" speech in COtEoF. It's totally implausible, but it's one of those things in fiction I'm more than willing to play along with because it's so much fun. I love the idea that current day character X can hop through portal Y and end up in old series Z. I'm really excited to see a big budget, big screen multiverse crossover in The Flash movie. The idea of Michael Keaton and Ben Affleck both playing Batman in the same movie is bonkers.

Leto_II and TheAlmanac like this.
  3. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

Maybe those things are "fixed points in time" that work across the whole multiverse, if you accept the "Doctor Who"-Style explanation that time is like a living beeing that selects certain events and makes them happen no matter what...

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, that was on a different subject altogether -- not the same people and events happening in different timelines, just time travelers being drawn toward certain key moments of decision in history.

Yes, and in some contexts that's fine. I'm willing to play along with it in the Arrowverse or Into the Spider-Verse because it's fun. But not everything is fantasy. Not everything in fiction should require turning off your brain. Good science fiction stimulates and challenges the mind. It encourages us to think and question, rather than falling apart if we apply any critical thought to it at all.

After all, for many of us, turning on our brains is fun too. I'm currently writing something with a multiverse theme to it, and I'm having fun subverting the usual fantasy tropes of parallel universes and exploring some more distinctive possibilities arising out of more realistic quantum theory -- something fresher than just the same old cliches of people meeting alternate selves or Hitler winning WWII or stuff like that. Something that goes beyond slight remixes of the familiar world and delves into far more profound divergences.

But that's my point -- just tossing out a gibberish phrase like "fixed points in time" or "currents in time" is no different from saying "A wizard did it." It's not an explanation, it's just an excuse. It doesn't actually make it plausible.

5. casey

casey Commander Red Shirt

Take my money please! This sounds amazing. I don't suppose you can tell anything more about it?

Markonian likes this.
  6. Christopher

Not until my publisher announces it. Hopefully soon.

Markonian and casey like this.
  7. casey

casey Commander Red Shirt

I assumed as much, but it never hurts to ask. I hope they announce soon. From those details it sounds exactly like the sort of story you excel at.

8. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is it a Star Trek novel? Or can't you reveal that yet either?

9. Christopher

It's something new. Heck, if it were Trek, I'd be stuck with their approach to alternate timelines, which is just the kind of thing I'm trying to avoid.

casey likes this.
  10. Damian

Well, you never know. You did write the DTI novels so I thought if it were in the Star Trek family maybe it'd have something to do with that. I think that'd be the place if you were going to explore a different angle of the multiverse or alternate timelines that you could potentially use.

11. Christopher

There's always been more to my writing than Star Trek. Especially now, with my Arachne duology finally released and this new project currently in the works.

12. Damian

Yeah, I know. I was just curious. When you noted about alternate timelines I thought maybe we had a shot at a new DTI novel (though I guess in retrospect that's unlikely since I have a feeling the DTI will factor into the upcoming Coda trilogy in some way, and we'll probably need to see how that plays out first, and, well, I guess it's probably unlikely we'll see future DTI books once Coda is done since those were part of the relaunch continuity).

Someday I'll start branching my reading out once I'm done my backlog of Star Trek novels. I am curious about your other novels and some of David Mack's works in particular.

I mean, I should. Basically my reading consists of Star Trek novels, biographies of US Presidents and the Bible.

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Oh I don't know, the new continuity portrayed in the new shows is likely to still have a DTI - DS9 hasn't been overwritten.

And think how pissed off Dulmur and Lucsly will be...

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  14. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

I always take each book based on the information when it was published. I take it as a product of its time and not something that fits into a consistent canon. As long as it is consistent with the shows that had aired when it was published then I am happy.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you like historical fantasy, I highly recommend checking out David Mack's The Dark Arts series.

16. David Weller

David Weller Commander Red Shirt

What he said. :)

17. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Thanks, guys!

18. mastadge

mastadge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This made me think of Ted Chiang's "Anxiety is the Dizziness of Freedom" even though that's not his premise at all.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

:techman:

20. WilliamFrontier

WilliamFrontier Cadet Newbie

Yes, these books are amazing!