Night Court revival

India de Beaufort is out. So if the new show is following in the path of the old show where the season 3 cast knocks it out of the park, her replacement better be a good one.

Very disappointed. I used to think India played Olivia too broadly at first but I thought she go funnier and funnier as the show went on. I would say Olivia was the best character after Dan and the sheer weirdness factor with her amused me. If they let her go, I think it's a mistake.

Interestingly, India replaced another actress after theynshot the original (and unaired) pilot. They did provide Olivia with a plot in the finale to explain her absence. I assume another female prosecutor will replace her. Wonder what direction they'll take the new character in.

I can't say I Olivia ever entirely worked for me as a character. I liked it when they focused on her mismatched friendship with Abby, but otherwise I found her too broad and unfunny. And with season 2 reasserting Dan's greed and amorality more, Olivia's greed and amorality seemed redundant.

Hmm... maybe the way to go with the new prosecutor is to make them sincere and idealistic, like Christine Sullivan. It would be an ironic inversion of the original dynamic, a prosecutor who cares about the defendants and wants to help them vs. a defender who feels contempt for them. But you'd have to make their idealism distinct from Abby's in some way to avoid the redundancy factor.

Second season Olivia was my favorite character on the show. There was some tipping point where they figured out how to mix the absurdity of the character combined with the actress' nearly His Girl Friday delivery that made her a joy.

I guess this tracks with one of the lead attorneys changing by the third season of a Night Court. We went from Paula to Billie to Christine by Season 3 of the original. I guess we should just count ourselves lucky that we won't already be on #3 with India's replacement. But I concur with those who say Season 2 Olivia was the better of the two versions of the character.

Very disappointing. But at least, none of the cast changes on the revival were due to death like happened twice on the original.

Here is the Deadline article reporting the news.

I guess this tracks with one of the lead attorneys changing by the third season of a Night Court. We went from Paula to Billie to Christine by Season 3 of the original. I guess we should just count ourselves lucky that we won't already be on #3 with India's replacement. But I concur with those who say Season 2 Olivia was the better of the two versions of the character.
I too think they greatly improved on Olivia 2nd season.

1st season she felt

2nd season made a little more sense...i think having her trying to use this job to get ahed (but sabotaged because, well, Night COurt) made a lot of sense.... her being on the starting end, and Dan being on the end season for this type of career,

I can't say I Olivia ever entirely worked for me as a character. I liked it when they focused on her mismatched friendship with Abby, but otherwise I found her too broad and unfunny. And with season 2 reasserting Dan's greed and amorality more, Olivia's greed and amorality seemed redundant.

Hmm... maybe the way to go with the new prosecutor is to make them sincere and idealistic, like Christine Sullivan. It would be an ironic inversion of the original dynamic, a prosecutor who cares about the defendants and wants to help them vs. a defender who feels contempt for them. But you'd have to make their idealism distinct from Abby's in some way to avoid the redundancy factor.

I actually agree with CHristopher on this one. Having both lawyers being cynical doesn't feel right. His suggestion of the prosecutor having that personality dynamic mathcing their professional dynamic could be fun.

I will acknowledge that was much as I liked Olivia, she wasn't much of a sparring partner for Dan. I suspect they'll go for a younger actress like India though a long-time veteran character going head-to-head with Dan would be interesting.

I will acknowledge that was much as I liked Olivia, she wasn't much of a sparring partner for Dan. I suspect they'll go for a younger actress like India though a long-time veteran character going head-to-head with Dan would be interesting.

If you meant "veteran character actor," I had the same thought.

I think that would be fine for a guest episode or two.

But really, having a "newbie" would very much add to the mix... I mean even Abby has several years of experience (I mean, in order to be a judge and all)... Wyatt might be new at this particular job, but he's been around a while, as has Gurgs.

This a damn shame. I was one of the few people who loved Olivia from the onset, so the season two version really blew me away.

As I mentioned before, I was already a fan of hers from One Day at a Time so she was one of the few people I already knew before the show started. I'm sorry that familiarity is already gone.

Her replacement has big shoes to fill.

Back