News Next Arrowverse Crossover to Include Batwoman

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, May 17, 2018.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think the casting people in the Arrowverse have proven that they deserve more faith than that. I don't know why you're so unwilling to extend it to them.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know, Lois just strikes me as the kind of character they'd want to go for someone in the 30s for.

3. Christopher

And I have no idea why you'd assume that, when it goes against literally everything the Arrowverse has established about the character. Are you thinking of the movie versions of Lois? I'll grant that both Margot Kidder and Kate Bosworth were pretty young, but Amy Adams was 39 when she first played Lois Lane. And that was in a movie set at the start of Superman's career. Arrowverse Lois has known him for close to 15 years.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't realize that they had established Lois as having that much history already behind her.

5. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

It’ll be someone in their mid 30’s I bet. Some have suggested that it should be his teen wolf co star

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Crystal Reed?

7. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Haley Webb

8. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Really? I could've sworn you've seen every episode of Supergirl, and Superman's personal history - and his history with Lois - has been repeatedly referenced and very well established.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but I barely remember the major plot points, so there's no way I'm going to remember stuff like that.

10. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok.

11. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At last, Superman appears in one of these crossovers :hugegrin::hugegrin:. But they're not going to include Legends in this one :weep:, they're missing an opportunity with Brandon Routh around, just think of the self-referential one-liners they could have. My guess, and I don't think I'm the first to suggest it, is that (assuming all the superhero shows are renewed next season), they're keeping their powder dry for a massive five (or even six with Black Lightning)way crossover.

12. Christopher

They already did that in "Invasion!" with "You know, she kinda looks like my cousin." I don't see the need to repeat a joke they've already done. Humor based merely on "Hey, this actor used to play that character!" is a feeble form of wit to begin with, and it's a bad sign if you have to go back to that shallow well more than once.

No, I think it's that they're smart enough to recognize that perpetually trying to top yourself and go bigger is a recipe for diminishing returns. I've seen one or two interviews where the producers have said that they know they can't top Crisis on Earth-X and are choosing instead to go deeper in the crossovers, more focused on character and substantive storytelling, rather than just trying to get bigger in size and spectacle all the time.

13. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe they just want to have a clear year without Marvels super duper crossover...as well as construct a good story...and where Black Lightning will fit in well.

They can't do it all the time...but with the new characters...it will be worth it if done well.

Looking forward to the super duper crossover commercial!

14. N-121973

It seems to be to be a running gag on the Arrowverse shows, particularly Legends of Tomorrow. I like the one last year in the PT Barnum episode about the Titanic which both Victor Garber and guest star Billy Zane appeared in the film of: "Whoever built that is a complete idiot!" :guffaw:.

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

^
    That was the single best line of the entire franchise (to date.)

JanewayRulz! and N-121973 like this.
  16. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Of course, as one of only three people over the age of 40 to have never seen the Kate and Leo show, it took me a bit to fully appreciate that moment.

17. N-121973

I just watched the scene now. After Ray suggests they visit the Titanic Stein replies: '"Absolutely not! I refuse to set foot on the Titanic. Whoever designed that ship should be shot." :lol:

18. Christopher

I didn't think that joke really worked, though. That sort of thing works best when it actually makes sense in character, and there's no in-character reason why physicist Martin Stein would have any particular animus toward the designer of the Titanic.

19. N-121973

I just thought it was funny. Of course what would have been good is if they had visited Titanic on her maiden voyage and Victor Garber in addition to playing Martin Stein had reprised his role from Titanic.

Something else I just realised - though I grant you its unlikely - is that there's nothing stopping them having individual members of the Legends cast appear in the crossover. I mean if you think about last year's crossover only four of the Legends cast were in the three non-Legends episodes - Sara, Stein, Jackson & Rory.

20. Christopher

I read confirmation today that Superman will be in all three parts of the crossover. Between him, Batwoman, and Lois, plus all the further worldbuilding they'll presumably be doing for Gotham and maybe Metropolis, plus the presence of Supergirl, Flash, Green Arrow, and their supporting casts, I think it's pretty clear why they don't have room for the Legends.

Indeed, the fact that half the Legends were missing from most of last year's crossover is a good illustration of the logic in leaving them out. It was really difficult for Crisis to juggle all four casts, and many of them had to be reduced to cameos. It was an ambitious feat to include so many heroes in one storyline, but many of them were just token presences. So I prefer this year's approach -- keep it focused on the heroes who need to be there, who have a purpose in the story, rather than just trying to cram in everyone for the sake of numbers.