News Next Arrowverse Crossover to Include Batwoman

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, May 17, 2018.

1. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

That's assuming that Lois is older than Clark, which isn't an absolute guarantee.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure they'll probably cast someone around the same age as Tyler Hoechlin (30).

3. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Hoechlin is 30 years old, but Clark isn't (he's more like 36 or 37).

4. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

In the musical, it was implied that the Flash has already met Superman.
    Lois will be a few years older than Lucy.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I hope they don't, because that would contradict what they've already established. When Superman first showed up, they commented that he aged more slowly than a human and was actually significantly older (he's actually 39 according to the Arrowverse Wiki timeline).

But then, they already made the same kind of mistake with the Argo City denizens in Supergirl's last season. Alura looked the same age as her hologram, even though her hologram represented how she looked nearly four decades ago when Krypton exploded. She should've been in her upper 70s. By the same token, Kara's childhood friend Thara should've been 24 years older than her because of Kara's time in the Phantom Zone. Instead, they cast an actress only 6 years older than Melissa Benoist.

EDIT: Oh, and let's not forget that Cat Grant saw Lois as her rival in her early years at the Planet, before she became Queen of All Media. So that suggests that Lois should be mature enough to be credible as a longtime antagonist to Calista Flockhart. Not to mention that she needs to be credible as the older sister of Lucy Lane, whose portrayer Jenna Dewan is now 37 years old.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  6. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I can't believe they actually do a DCW crossover event with Superman, and Brandon Routh won't be in it.

7. Christopher

Well, of course. You wouldn't expect to see Brandon Routh and Superman in the same room together, would you? ;)

Gaith, Morpheus 02, N-121973 and 3 others like this.
  8. Christopher

I just realized -- the presence of Superman and Lois further suggests that the crossover may be set primarily on Earth-38. If so, I have to wonder... What crisis could be so massive that both Super-Cousins and Batwoman couldn't resolve it without help from the Flash and Green Arrow? Or maybe it'll be like Crisis on Earth-X in that the visiting heroes are just there for a social call or something and a crisis erupts.

9. thribs

Well it has to be bigger than the World Killers since Superman wasn’t needed for that.
    Could be that they’re just visiting when something happens.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

That happened a few times with the JLA/JSA crossovers in the comics.

11. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Touché.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't realize they'd established that Kryptonians age slower.
    Sadly I still can't really see them casting someone that old, this is the CW after all, so they'll still probably end up casting someone young and hot.

13. Christopher

There are plenty of actors over 40 on the CW DC shows -- David Ramsay, Paul Blackthorne, Tom Cavanaugh, Jesse L. Martin, Danielle Nicolet, David Harewood, Cress Williams, Christine Adams, etc. It makes no sense whatsoever to imagine they have some kind of prejudice against actors over 30 -- any more than it makes sense to assume they'd cast an actress younger than Jenna Dewan to play Lucy Lane's older sister.

14. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

I read this just now over on CBR, and involuntarily began shouting, "YES! YES! YES! YES!" like I had fanboy Tourette's or something. Good thing I wasn't out in public somewhere. :o

I love Hoechlin's Clark, and it's been too long since we've seen him. (Not because of the tiresome "Why isn't Superman involved here?" schtick, but just on general principles because he's awesome.)

Plus I am a shameless Lois Lane worshipper, and I have little doubt they will kill it on the casting. They know how important the character is, and they knocked it out of the park with Benoist and Hoechlin, so I'm expecting more of the same here.

Kai "the spy" and Turtletrekker like this.
  15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course they have, but other than Black Lighting, most of them have been less prominent than Lois. Lois just seems to me like the kind of character they're going to want to go younger for.

16. Christopher

Again: Lucy Lane -- younger sister -- 37-year-old actress.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So? It wouldn't be the first time someone older was cast as a younger sibling, there have even been times where people practically the same age have been cast as parent and child.
    Just to be clear here, when I'm talking about younger, I'm talking about someone in their early to mid-30s. I could easily someone 34 or 35 being cast as a 37 year old's older sibling.

18. thribs

They could also cast a black lady, Fantastic 4 style. :)

19. Christopher

I just don't see why you find it implausible that they'd cast an age-appropriate Lois, when there are plenty of Arrowverse actors in their 40s and 50s. Not to mention older actors on other CW shows, like the parents on Riverdale.

After all, we're not talking about some ingenue sexpot. We're talking about Lois Lane, the ultimate reporter. We're talking about a powerful, important, successful journalist, a counterpart and rival to Cat Grant. She's been established as one of the first people who sought to interview Superman when he was new, so she's explicitly been in the business for over a dozen years. And she's been with Clark romantically for some years as well. All of this is established in the show. I don't get why you're so hell-fired to disbelieve that the Berlanti casting people, who have consistently shown an uncanny knack for casting ideal actors for their roles, would suddenly become so shallow and incompetent as to cast someone way too young for the character. Give them a little credit for knowing what the hell they're doing.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because the vast, vast majority of the time people do the stupidest thing you could possibly imagine.

ToddKent likes this.