New WETA Collectibles

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by The, Jan 25, 2008.

1. The

The Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I tried to snatch up my Timecrash set, but it still cost me a thick penny. Worth it, though. Davison's trainers are the same worn-white color as on the show. Now, that's detail... :techman:

2. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I just got my two SDCC exclusive in the mail today.

It did cost a bit because I had to order it online but the retailers around here don't get the SDCC stuff for about six months and I figured these would be more in demand than last year's assault Dalek and damaged Cyberman, especially since this is currently the only way to get the celery. :D

3. The

Exactly! Not to mention, I'm happy to see them re-issuing a 9th Doctor figure. Any Nine is good Nine... :techman:

4. Winterwind

Agreed. I love my 9th Doctor. I'm not sure if it was by accident or design but there's a little bump on his cheek, just like the mole Ecclestone had. That's attention to detail... though I don't understand the straight vertical line on his green jumper though.

I actually had to do a repair job on my 5th Doctor. The celery stalk had pulled away from the jacket, actually pulling a bit of the paint up with it, exposing grey plastic underneath. Little dab of crazy glue applied with a sewing needle did the trick though.

That's the only problem with ordering online... you can't look them over for the best one. I've been reading through the OG boards (I still think of them as OG) and apparently there are some 6th Doctors with some bad paint jobs and what's referred to as the "wonkey Dalek dome syndrome" with the classic Dalek set where their domes are on a screwy angle.

Those, I will definitely be looking over in a store before I buy.

5. The

I was confused about that as well, as I always remembered it being a one-piece pullover. However, look at the pic on the back of the box. You can see a seam like that on Eccleston's actual jumper. Odd, huh?

Nice. I don't have the same problem. However, my Davison figure's sneaks are a bit spotty on the white paint job, and I wasn't sure if that was intentional (Davison's dirty sneaks) or a rough paint job. It works either way for me.

Oh damn, really? I've pre-ordered my 4th - 6th Docs from Forbidden Planet, so I have NO idea what I'll be getting in the mail... :eek:

6. Winterwind

Ah, ok, I feel better knowing you can see it in the picture.

I noticed another flaw on my 5th Doctor after that post. :(

His left arm, at the back, isn't fitted snug so you can see the plain white plastic underneath, where the shoulder joins the torso. You can notice the plastic underneath on all the figures if you extend the arms straight out or up but this noticeable in a neutral pose. It's only a couple millimeters but still... it's a collectible so those of us with geek tendencies obsess.

Ah well, my Doctors are really just for sitting on the shelf in front of their respective DVDs (and maybe future web comics).

As for the fourth, I haven't heard anything bad about them, just some spotty paint jobs on poor Colin. Not all of them mind you otherwise I'm sure I'd have come across more posts complaining at OG.

Brave heart, The. :D

7. The

:lol:

You know, Forbidden Planet said these figures would be available on the 15th. Well, that's today and I want to know why mine haven't shipped instantly. :(

(And yes, I'm being sarcastic because I really, really want them to hurry up and get here... :angel: )

8. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The K1 robot looks great. Shame you have to collect 8 figures before you can assemble it.

9. Winterwind

Indeed it is, because I'm only interested in the Doctors and Daleks, some classic Cybermen and maybe a select few companions. Looks like no K1 for me unless the eventually release it on its own.

And, The, I know how you feel. I don't have them pre-ordered so I'm anxiously waiting for them to hit the shelves in Canada.

10. The

I know. :( I have a feeling this first wave is going to cost me quite a bit of cash...

11. Winterwind

Just don't get any series 4 Sontarans for a while. Just read a thread at the DW forums where the common complaint is that the Sontaran set is really shoddy and falling apart, apparently worse than the classic Dalek issue.

I wonder if, as the thread starter there suspects, they were rushed to production and didn't pass any real QA tests.

It'd be a shame if that's the case since CO had been doing a wonderful job thus far. I mean plastic action figures... er... collectibles are what they are but still, some quality would be nice. ;)

12. The

Yeah, DC Direct went down the same path with their figures for awhile. They seem to have gotten back on track lately, as I'd imagine sales dropped. Who knows? The same might happen here...

13. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Well that kinda sucks. Fortunately I do some model building so can always resort to glue and a bit of paint if necessary.

In any case, I finally got a decent paycheck in the bank. So once that bugger clears, I can start shopping. The question now of course is who to order from.

14. Winterwind

Glue is definitely your friend.

A friend of mine bought a Mickey Smith figure and the left arm falls off. It's the articulation point at the bicep, there's no "lip" in the socket so nothing holds the arm in place.

Still, I'm looking forward to shopping too. Apparently Colin's Doctor is going to be relatively rare compared to the 4th and 5th so I want to get my hands on one ASAP. I just haven't seen them in the shops here yet though apparently retailers in the US have them already.

15. The

Yeah, I went ahead and bought a single Colin figure from eBay, even though I have Docs 4-6 on pre-order from Forbidden Planet. That way, just in case, I have one. If I end up having two of them, I'll post it on these boards and we can work out if someone wants to buy it from me. I'll let you know... :techman:

16. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh man. Now I'm getting nervous. I hope the company making these things are geared up to a do a second or third run so the rest of us have a chance for a full set.

17. Winterwind

I'm sure if they sell well, and from what I hear, the classic figures are very much in demand and CO underestimated that demand, they'll do more runs.

And I just looked on ebay but... with the quality issues I've been hearing about, I think I'll wait until the local retailers have them on the shelves. That way, if I get a defective one, I go straight back to the store for an exchange. Doing exchanges/refunds with online purchases is a pain.

The, where are you? Isn't Forbidden Planet a UK company? I thought they only shipped to the UK?

18. The

I'm in the US, but according to their site they ship to the US...

19. Winterwind

Hmm. Maybe I'll look into it. I'm leery of ordering from overseas sites. There's another site, Doctor Who Merchandise, based in the US, that's listed on the Underground Toys site, as "where to shop". I tried to order from them last year, since it says they ship internationally. When I entered my address, it said "we don't ship to your region" so I emailed them. Took almost three weeks for a reply and they said yes, we ship to Canada but they made no comment on my saying that the order form wouldn't let me continue with a non-US address.

Maybe I'll check out some of the ebay stores. Let me know about FP though. If you get your order A-ok, I may give them a try.

20. The

I will.

I emailed them a question about shipping and when the order would be processed (as the figures came available on the 15th) and I have yet to hear back from them. I'll give them another day and then I'll send them a more strongly-worded email to see if I can get a response. If they never respond, and/or take too long to send my figures, I'll just cancel the order and go somewhere else. I'll keep you updated... :techman: