New TOS - Should we?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ChallengerHK, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

TOS was a 1960's concept of a future space service, to produce a serious show in 2019 set in the 23rd century space service using 1960's production and plot values would either be a parody or ridiculous.

1001001 likes this.
  2. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

I would just love to see a period-perfect 2260's. ;)

Phoenix219 and uniderth like this.
  3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Post of the day.

Hell, post of the week!

Kudos.

:beer:

Therin of Andor likes this.
  4. ChallengerHK

ChallengerHK Captain Captain

Myself and many others find STC and STNV to be neither parodies nor ridiculous.

5. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

No. Marlon Brando. He said find the next Brando and I replied with one being enough.

6. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

I guess I wasn't sufficiently . . . entertaining.

johnnybear and Marsden like this.
  7. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yet decades after its run, the TOS sets and uniforms perfectly blended next to the then-current "worlds" of DS9's "Trials and Tribble-ations" and ENT's "In a Mirror, Darkly" two-parter. There was no outcry about it, only praise, because the strength of the 60s designs worked with then-advanced production values of the sequel series.

As far as plotting goes, TOS is the standard all other Trek series have tripped over themselves to top or surpass for more than three decades. There's a reason the JJ films and Discovery (horrible as they were/are) go back to the TOS world, or near it. To the culture at large--beyond ST fandom--TOS is the face of the franchise.

8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

And yet it can never be recaptured.
    Star Trek has no Brando...Star Trek needs no Brando.

Marsden likes this.
  9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fast forward a few more years and people were building exact recreations of the sets in their basements. Whatever you may think of the movie and Discovery Enterprises, those sets aren't going to be accurately recreated by fan film makers.

Phaser Two, Henoch and ChallengerHK like this.
  10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Some friends were bored out of their brains one rainy weekend - and the power went out, preventing their progress on the club newsletter - so they ended up constructing a "Next Generation" bridge out of sheets of corregated cardboard and adhesive labels. Surprisingly sturdy and accurate - and the consoles and elevator doors ended up being used as a set for skits at club meetings!

Pauln6, Phaser Two and F. King Daniel like this.
  11. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can't beat the stories of TOS even if you ridicule the sets, costumes and effects! :vulcan: They're light years beyond Discovery which was one long serial with ridiculous claustrophobic costumes and flashy lights and technology not even hinted at in TOS which was supposed to be in the future??? :shrug:The fault is theirs to have set their show before the original! :scream:
    JB

uniderth and Phaser Two like this.
  12. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Some people have the same attitude about Mr Trump...
    The TOS sets and concepts did not define the whole of DS9 or the whole of ENT, they were one off tributes.

13. Seb_O_91

Seb_O_91 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Personally, I'm not clamouring for a reboot/remake of TOS. Whilst it was fun to see Cushing 'return' in Rogue One, that was one character in one film, I wouldn't want to see a whole series comprised of performances like that. Ultimately, I think I'm happy with the amount of TOS we've got and the Abrams movies, whilst fun, showed me that you'll never beat the original. The only real missing 'gap' in the show has been filled in perfectly (IMO anyway) by the Star Trek Continues guys.

I see Discovery/a possible Pike series as a different beast really. Yes, they've recast Spock (although Ethen Peck is just so darn good that it works) but Pike is a character who we'd only really seen once in any meaningful capacity prior to Disco so in some respects he is like a new character. It's also filling in an interesting gap in the show's history that hasn't really been explored before (on screen anyway).

14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Well, we are in the stone knives and bearskins era of deep fake trek.

By 2066, the CGI and voice work will be flawless. The early attempt in Rogue One is what made Tarkin scary. There was no hint of Cushing there, no kindly old man. Tarkin is taller than Peter, Christopher Lee tall in that film. Leia was too smooth. As usual, flesh is the final frontier of CGI. Stone, metal, and scales, came easily. 2005 got fur down with Kong and Ember. Skin? That's a toughie.

Speaking of Data, if Star Trek: The Next Generation was remade in 2087, I might use the 2019 deep-fake Data at Farpoint--keep some uncanny valley.

But each week--each new episode--you up the resolution a tick.

This way, Data gets ever more human with time.

When the series does its last episode--one more than "All Good Things," I might let Data do as the Bicentennial Man, and shut off. The last image of Data would be the young Spiner, in make up, leaning against the tree in the original Farpoint episode, and seeing the other characters de-res and vanish into the holodeck, say. Somehow, Data seemed perfect in farpoint.

Data would then be the most human.

By 2087, we might even have different characters do different frame rates. Data would start out at 19 frames per second. Kirk and other cross-over characters at 24--the most noble frame rate--then up things over time. Dream sequences, heaven scenes, AVATAR--they get the hyper-real--fastest frame rates.

I miss the camcorder version of COPS, the night looked dismal then--a videotape noir--with no LED floodlights.

Soap-opera effects ruined THE TWILIGHT ZONE--made everything look like the videotape episodes, --but makes the Saturn V come alive in Chasing the Moon

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  15. johnnybear

I'm afraid I didn't see Ethan Peck as Spock as so darn good to be honest! His bearded look was way over the top and after he shaved it off he just looked like any other generic Vulcan rather than the one and only great Leonard Nimoy! :vulcan:
    JB

uniderth likes this.
  16. johnnybear

The Peter Cushing Tarkin was great in Rogue One but there was something about the eyes that wasn't right! If they could solve that and the fact that it wasn't Peter's voice! I would have thought that would have been easier to fake with the equipment of this day and age too! ;)
    JB

17. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

The point is that side by side with the then-current series sets of DS9 and ENT (and the production values from the respective time periods of each), the TOS sets, costumes, props, etc., all worked as part of the visual language of Star Trek. It was not an outlier, but perfectly integrated with the DS9 / ENT standards, hence the success of those episodes. Nostalgia was not going to sell that to audiences.

18. ChallengerHK

ChallengerHK Captain Captain

And yet it has, several times.

19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

How and where? I love fan films but the feel is not the same.

20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That will take time.

And--as a villain--it works that he is "off"

We didn't see any of Cushing--we got Tarkin's malice because of the bit of uncanny valley left behind.