New Star Wars Trilogy To be developed by Rian Johnson

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Tuskin38, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Me too.

I'd rather he stayed away from both Trek AND Wars franchises so that I can just ignore his films.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

To each their own. I prefer his works over other directors.

3. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Alrighty then! Now that we’ve established each other’s directorial preferences how about that new Star Wars trilogy?

Are there any chances that Disney will take inspiration from some parts of the EU, like Tales of the Jedi, (Knights of) The Old Republic, Darth Bane, the Yuuzhan Vong invasion or Cade Skywalker? Or will it be something completely new just like Disney has done so far?

I’m hoping for the former but I’m betting the latter.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

You can ignore his films, simply don't watch.

I don't have an issue with any of the directors picked to date by Disney though I will admit, I do enjoy J.J's work but I care more about the actual script rather than who directs the movie.

Disney will probably ignore the EU (only taking little things here & there) for ideas going forward and they would be right to do so, the thing is a mess. Do we know if they plan to use Episode numbers still?

5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Speaking of the Vong, someone asked Pablo on twitter if the undeveloped Vong story for Clone Wars was canon like the other undeveloped stories, and he wouldn't give a straight answer.

He did say if the story had been made, they would have gotten rid of idea that the Vong are outside of the force as that goes against what George Lucas envisioned. Same reason why Thrawn doesn't have any Ysalamir in Rebels.

6. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree. This is a very big gamble Disney is taking. I'm not sure the extended SW universe has quite the same broad appeal as the Marvel or DC Universe. The latter appeals to comic book fans spanning generations, and there are a whole lot more of those than EU Star Wars fans.

This has the potential to flop big-time.

7. fireproof78

I'm hoping for an Old Republic style story, hopefully showing the Jedi in a more positive light as servants to the Old Republic.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know there's not a chance in hell of this ever happening, but I'm holding out for an Alien Exodus trilogy. :lol:

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Which is fair enough if it's just some random movie by a director you don't like.

More of an issue if it's part of a series you've been following avidly for forty years...

10. fireproof78

I've hit the point of being ready to walk around for this franchise depending on how The Last Jedi is. Already I' consuming less information and don't feel the avid need to keep participating in the franchise.

So, if the Last Jedi isn't for me, then I'll ignore the Sequel Trilogy and try the EU again. I don't see any reason for my history with Star Wars to keep me involved if I don't like the direction of the films. TFA was good by me, but Last Jedi has me more skeptical.

Sometimes, I just have to be willing to walk away.

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Indeed.

I think I may be getting to that point - I've just deleted an unwatched season three of Rebels from my TiVo and am giving my old E.U. novels and graphic novels to a workmate who loves SW.

It's pretty much Rogue One keeping me invested in the whole thing at the moment. That and a tiny reserve of cockeyed optimism for Ep. VIII.

12. fireproof78

And Rogue One didn't even do that for me. Episode 7 was at least fun and I shared that experience with my dad and brother, and then my wife.

Well, Battlefront is kind of keeping me going too. ;)

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

My son liked Ep.VII and he plays Battlefront a fair bit.

Video games bore the hell out of me though, and we've already established I didn't like The Force Awakens and fell badly out of love with the E.U. and it's lack of quality control.

Apart from liking Rogue One my main positive is that I did like the characters and castings for Rae, Poe and to a slightly lesser extent Finn.

14. fireproof78

I should clarify. I like Battlefront for the worldbuilding. I don't actually play the game :) The Original Battlefront 2 had a great story regarding the 501st Legion and its development through from the Battle of Geonosis to the Battle of Hoth.

Rey, Poe and Finn are the main reason I like TFA. Those characters draw me along for the ride. Regardless of my issues with TFA (they are probably not as severe as yours, but I still have some ;) ) the characters were enough to keep me invested.

15. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

There are plenty of Old Republic era stories that could be told that had either an epic feeling, or could be told the tragic tales of Jedi that rose and fell along the lines of Anakin Skywalker, but not quite as long lastsing or with as great a fallout from their fall to the Dark Side. There are the tragic love stories. The explorers. The scoundrels of course. But a lot of the Old Republic tales revolve around the Jedi and Sith.

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Oh I don't know, I'd say the Jedi that founded the Sith order in the first place is at least on par with Anakin, impact-wise. ;)

Not that I think that would make for the focus of a good movie. Backdrop, maybe.

17. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Well if anything, pretty sure there will be lightsabers, would not be Star Wars with out it.

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Didn't occur to me until second viewing, but 'Rogue One' *very* nearly made it all the way to the end without one. Granted it was arguably the best scene in the movie, but I think they could have managed without it.

On a related more: It's not impossible, but I'll be surprised if one shows up in 'Solo' at all.

19. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't expect any lightsabers in Solo. (at least not until TFA.....:whistle:)

Sketcher and Booji like this.
  20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's worth keeping in mind that those two things happened thousands of years apart, at least in the EU, so there would be a lot to cover between those two events.
    It's Star Wars, it's a guaranteed massive, massive hit. There have been plenty of successful Star Wars stories over the decades that had nothing to do with the main characters from either the PT or the OT. If it says Star Wars in the title some where, it's gonna be a hit.