New Star Wars Trilogy To be developed by Rian Johnson

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Tuskin38, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The new trilogy is separate from the normal episodic saga following the Skywalkers.

Qonundrum, Turtletrekker and Booji like this.
  2. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

I wonder if this will take the place of the stand alone movies until the sequel trilogy wraps up. Old Republic maybe? Or a galaxy farther away?

3. Tuskin38

They're also doing a Live Action TV series, no info on that except it will be on Disney's streaming service.

Booji likes this.
  4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Wow, this is amazing news! I love Looper and everything about The Last Jedi sounds very promising. I figured we would get plenty more of Star Wars at this point, but it's good to know who will be a major part of the creative force. Star Wars is finally going in the same direction as Star Trek did 30 years ago by branching off on new characters and new history. And with Kathleen Kennedy steering the ship, I have trust that it won't be Prequels 2.0.

Qonundrum and Turtletrekker like this.
  5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Makes sense...otherwise once Ep9 hits they'd only have stand-alones left. Doing both the solo films and an ongoing trilogy keeps things both fresh and something to keep coming back to.

Still want that Obi-Wan flick though guys. C'mon.

6. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

They originally talked about continuing with another trilogy with the new characters after Episode 9. However with the announcement, this new trilogy will be separate from the SkywalkerSaga. So I wonder if we are still going to get that other trilogy, from the statement I'm thinking not.

7. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

If Luke, Leia and Ben/Ren are all dead by the end of IX, and Rey turns out not to be related to any of them, then both statements are true - from a certain point of view.

Of course, by then your 'new characters' are the hottest, most-in-demand actors in Hollywood with salaries skyrocketing upward with every post-SW project. So a blank slate probably would be a better idea after all.

8. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe this trilogy will have something to do with the rumored Obi-Wan movie. I'd love to see Ewan McGregor come back to do a trilogy of Rian Johnson-directed films!

9. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Unexplored corner of the galaxy. With all the EU and other materials, they are going to have to dig to find that corner.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

As much I want an Obi-Wan film, I hope not. This trilogy should stand completely on its own, separate from all of the established characters. I hope an Obi-Wan film happens, but as a separate, individual film.

11. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Now this is interesting, intriguing, and surprising as all heck.

ScreenRant thinks this Trilogy could Canonically develop the Old Republic Era as seen in the now Non-Canonical BioWare games, which would be neat.

ichab likes this.
  12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, Disney must be happy.

13. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

More Star Wars films by Disney. What a big surprise.

It’s great news that it’s developed by Rian Johnson and not someone like JJ.

If it was Tales of the Jedi or Knights of the Old Republic I would be ecstatic but I don’t think that’s the case.

14. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Why not?

I see nothing in Lucasfilm's announcement that makes these ideas implausible at the moment.

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The kind of thing I'd love to see is that Old West, outer rim, no Jedi era like the original Han Solo trilogy books (the Daley ones) ...I understand why maybe that's not the feel they want for it, but I'd be stoked.

Of course, maybe that's what we'll get with Solo...we'll see.

16. Tuskin38

Considering they're saying it isn't part of the regular episodic saga, it could take place anywhere and any time.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looper was great, and everything I've seen from TLJ looks awesome, so I can't wait to see what Johnson comes up with when he isn't limited by the ongoing Skywalker story.
    The articles does say new characters in a new part of the galaxy, so I'm pretty sure this won't be focused on Obi-Wan or Boba Fett or anyone like that.

18. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Old Republic!! It's wide open!

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Without the Skywalker's, I'm not sure that I care. Not that big a fan of the Star Wars "universe".

20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even though he's a Star Wars fan? A lot of things I've read include "Finally, a Star Wars trilogy directed by a Star Wars fan!"