New Star Trek (2008) Poster released

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Flake, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Simply Classic.
    I love it. :D

-J.

2. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's sweet! Bummer there wasn't much else already known to come out of Comic-Con, but I'll take this.

3. Mordock

Mordock Commander Red Shirt

I'm not a designer, but I like it a lot. The font cements an association with the original series, the white negative space catches your attention, and both it and the black of the starfield make the few flashes of color really pop.

More than that, it seems to operate from the confident assumption that simply announcing that a Star Trek movie is on offer is enough to hold your interest. To make a somewhat unfair comparison, it makes for quite a contrast from the early days of ENT, where Star Trek was deleted from the title as if it were some kind of liability. This is a very effective poster.

4. Dale

Dale Vice Admiral Admiral

I like it. I was very pleased to see the classic font. Of course I would've loved some sort of image to dissect and get all obsessive about, but it is after all a very early teaser.

I don't understand why they made the letters a little too big for the poster... it "hangs off" the edges... unless that was to prevent it from becoming a t-shirt instantly.

5. Mr J

Mr J Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, this sort of over-dramatic angst over just a movie poster is what non-Trek fans ridicule. No real person would call a movie poster 'an abomination' in any normal social circle :lol:. It is that stereotypical behaviour amongst the fandom that puts people off far more than the design of a poster.

Only a ST fan could be so bloody melodramatic. :rolleyes:

6. Vonstadt

Vonstadt Captain Captain

Madison Square Garden : Let's Go Rangers!
    lol I guess my age is gonna show but to be honest. I love it! Basic, simple direct to the point with a flair for the old. I loved the old style font and to be honest, I prefer it over pretty much all of the most recent promo posters of previous films.

Letting us know its coming out, shows us a hint they may respect the original and well tells you to wait for the trailer if you want a hint of what it is to be about:P

You want more? See the film :)

I like it!

7. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like it. It has a great retro design that says "forget modern turgid tedious Trek - we're bringing back that fun, funky show with the ray guns and space babes!"

8. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

^ And knee high go-go boots, short skirts, dead red-shirts, I'm givin' 'er all she's gut cap'in I canna giv 'er any morrrre, doors that go shhhhtttthhhh, and everything else we love about the 'old' show ;)

- W -
    * Sometimes is great to be a Star Trek fan *

9. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank you Mr. J!,
    Angst over a freakin teaser poster is just the root of fanboism at its worst.

Sharr

10. dukesman

dukesman Commander Red Shirt

My exact reaction! Love it.

Classic. Retro. Elegant. Simple.

It's a perfect TEASER poster. So far, so good. :thumbsup:

11. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I LOVE it. It's classic Abrams - enough of a tease to make you go "whaaaa?" and look over at it when walking by, and then wonder what the hell they have in mind for the new Star Trek movie.

To me, it very clearly says - "This movie is going to be very different from the last few bland, PC Star Trek movies with that bald captain nobody really remembers. This movie is going to be the ORIGINAL Star Trek that captured the public's imagination so many years ago."

I think it's a great, great sign for the movie.

And, I have to say, it's fairly hilarious to see some people getting so angry and worked up over a teaser poster. :guffaw:

12. Woulfe

^ Just wait 'till the first teaser trailer hits the 'net.
    You'll see and hear fandom implode in on itself.
    No matter what's in the teaser trailer that'll happen.
    - W -
    * Remember that I called it too *

13. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

yes, yes, YES!

...was it all just a bad dream?

14. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow. Bit of a persecution complex there? Hard-core Trekkies may be the perennial subject of teasing, but Star Trek has hardly been the subject of universal ridicule by non-Trekkies. It's gone through phases of popularity, and was incredibly popular in the early 1990s, and has been losing ground since, but that doesn't mean that it can't enter a new phase with 2008's Star Trek.

I really hate people who are rude and nasty towards folks who are trying their darnedest to do good work, especially when they get nasty over something so petty as a teaser image, don't you?

In any event, considering that JJ Abrams and Co. are responsible for such fare as Alias, Felicity, and Lost, and that Abrams himself has said that he's a fan but not a Trekkie, I think it's safe to infer that they're going to do just fine at attracting a general audience.

15. THE CHEBB

THE CHEBB Captain Captain

Simple, effective, retro. I like it alot! :cool:

16. Dale

Dale Vice Admiral Admiral

There are horizontal and vertical (poster) variants of the new logo available for download on startrek.com including avatars and desktops.

17. Woulfe

^ Snagged one for my desktop allready ! ^

- W -
    * S T A R T R E K stardate 12/25/08 *

18. IM_GONNA_TROLL_U

IM_GONNA_TROLL_U Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I think it looks OK. Heck, I wouldn't mind having it on a t-shirt.

19. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

hmm...^ interesting user name

20. Holytomato

Holytomato Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"NBC executive : So what are you calling this show?

Gene Roddenberry : Star Trek.

NBC exec : That's a horrible, awful, terrible, name.

Gene : Good, i'll keep it then."

:thumbsup:

I love :heart: the poster.

"Hardcore fan boys implode. News at 11."

Let me ask my wife if she likes it.

"Honey, what do you think?"

"...:pounce:"