New Star Trek (2008) Poster released

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Flake, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Eh, I'm not wild about it.

2. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Its one thing to not be "wild about it", quite another to indict the whole movie on it.

I'm thinking the unusual use of white is what people are having an issue with. To me it makes it stand out more, oh and what some are maybe angry about it is no ship or tech on display.

Its a poster: Says Star Trek in the classic font, on a movie theater wall it'll make people go: "Star Trek they're making another one?" and a few will get confused and think Gourge Lucas is making a new movie... such as it is.

But anyway it does its job. I'm sure once theres more cast maybe some costumes ship art we'll get a poster with all that.

Sharr

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Eh...it's alright. First thing that sprung to mind was the Gold Key comics.

But, in the end, it does the job. It'll get people's attention (giant-ass white posters with "black" lettering tend to do that).

Personally, I think the poster from last year was more aesthetically pleasing.

Edit: Why is the "S" partly cut off?

4. Balthier the Great

Balthier the Great Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't like it. It's just too plain. I mean if you're just gonna re-use the old fonts and old poster concepts, why not just raid the Paramount archives and save the money?

I liked the first one better. It was clearly TOS, and yet it wasn't so old-school that it would make the younger kids scratch their heads.

But it this poster is any indication, they're spending most of the money on the movie instead of the posters.

5. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The thing about such a reaction is: If they don't significally change the Enterprise itself we'll be hearing: "They couldn't be original!!!"

This will be noticed that's for sure big white posters with black letters and all.

The clear point of this film is what's old is new so why are we surprised they're doing stuff in the old style? I can only imagine the outrage had they not...

Sharr

6. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

This thread alone proves you can't PLEASE all the Star Trek fans, some will moan and whine no matter what they TOS our way, bet you anything if the poster had TNG's 1980's style font they'd still throw a fit over the design.

- W -
    * Sometimes it's tough to be a Star Trek fan *

7. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In my opinion.

This poster means a reboot.
    Nothing before (blank color), new history after (Star Trek word with stars).

8. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've got to say that I love the new poster. It gets me really energized for a fresh take at the Trek franchise.

9. dru

dru Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hated the prior teaser. This gives me hope for the film because it *is* retro and says, "We get it."

Quinto has an appropriate look for Spock but I don't know how well he'll play the character.

I still hate the overall idea of going back to Kirk and Spock but admit that's mostly out of a belief they'll screw it up. They had a hard enough time "getting it right" when the original cast were in the parts for the films.

Nimoy throwing in is a good sign too. He's always been the most difficult to bring back into the fold after the series went off the air.

10. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

So does this further solidify that it will be called just "Star Trek" kinda looks like it to me :)

11. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

~ Flashback ~

NBC executive : So what are you calling this show?

Gene Roddenberry : Star Trek.

NBC exec : That's a horrible, awful, terrible, name.

Gene : Good, i'll keep it then.

- W -
    * Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh *

12. TiberiusK

TiberiusK Captain Captain

I love it. It's classic and nostalgic. Simple and bold.

13. jonnyskywatcher

jonnyskywatcher Commander Red Shirt

I find this poster easily ignorable; if I had seen it today as a poster in the theater, I probably would have ignored it and never noticed that it was a poster for the new movie. The big letters draw so much attention, I would never even bother to look at the release date. Whearas the 1-18-08 poster would require a second or third look.

14. Pro Populo

Pro Populo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I kinda like it. It's certainly unambiguous on what the title of the movie is, and I like the use of the retro '60s font. It really tells you they're going back to the original as inspiration for this one. The only thing is I wish there was more color to it.

15. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Classic, nostalgic, Perfect. Clearly not a reboot Star Trek.

16. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, it could be a shower instead.

17. igrokbok

igrokbok Commodore Commodore

Love it! Less is more as they say. And what's old is new again. Bring it!

18. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)

I'm thinking a 'shower' would be most heartily approved by just about any doctor.

On the other-hand, a 'show-er' would most certainly need to be checked by ones doctor, especially if one goes around with it 'showing' all the time!

Oh BTW...to me, the stars in the back ground remind me more of the old "Lost In Space" ads from back then, rather than Star Wars.

19. TK421

TK421 Commodore Commodore

I love it. Very retro.

20. Just_Bob

Just_Bob Commander Red Shirt

Same here. It works well for a teaser poster.