New series with old recurring characters, could it work?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by JesterFace, Aug 26, 2020.

1. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Why not? Seeing the characters 20 years later would be more appealing

2. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But it's not 20 years later for the TNG characters it's 26-33 years later, depending on when they appeared.
    The general public doesn't really remember many of them anymore and that whol era of Trek has passed.
    Plus a lot of their stories would be very similar, many are probably either admirals or sitting around with their grandkids. And some of the actors are quite advanced in age (the ones who played Jellico and Pulaski are both 82)
    Nothing against older characters or some nostalgia trips, but a whole series just about that?

I would mind seeing what O'Brien is up to or having Shelby/Ro command a ship, but I'd give them an whole new crew.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  3. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

It’s the 24th century. 20 years is the new 33. :)

4. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dr. McCoy was 137 y/o when he toured the Enterprise-D in the first ep of TNG.

5. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

In a way they're already doing such an upcoming series. " Star Trek: Strange New Worlds" effectively features characters who were seen only once on TOS. Captain Christopher Pike, and the character of Number One with a possibility of a few other characters that were in TOS The Cage/The Menagerie.)

How successful at ultimately is is anyone's guess, but it was created due to popular demand after the appearance of The characters of Pike and Number One on the second season of Star Trek Discovery.

6. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Right, but Pike and Una are co-starring with Spock and a fully brand new cast around them. They're not getting a crew made up primarily of Gary Mitchell, Charlie X, Helen Noel and Mr. Riley, which is the kind of idea being suggested here.

7. Orphalesion

But the actors still aged in according to 20th/21st century time. Can't change anything about that unless you make it an animated series.

8. Noname Given

Actually we don't know that - (BTW all the characters you mentioned were from Kirk's era 12 years later); they could have "Dr. Boyce", "Ensign Colt" and other characters referenced in TOS "The Cage" still be a part of the crew as from all accounts they are placing the start of the new Pike series right after the events of ST: D Season 2 - meaning it's 4 to 5 years after the events depicted in "The Cage" so they could still be a part or the crew (or not).

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are rumours that Kirk is going to be a character in the show. If he is, it stands to reason Gary Mitchell would also be with him, at least. As for the rest of the Enterprise crew, any other returning characters will likely be the bridge officers seen in Disco's second season finale. Which does include Colt. Sort of.

10. Noname Given

As a TOS fan - I hope they DON'T have James T. Kirk anywhere in the series until the finale where Kirk took over as Captain of the 1701 when Pike accepted his own promotion to Fleet Admiral (that's per dialogue from TOS - "The Menagerie"); but we'll see.

BillJ likes this.
  11. Orphalesion

I'm kinda split on the subject. On one hand I want all new characters/as many new characters as possible so that we can have more female characters, aliens, non-caucasians, non cis-hetero characters etc.

On the other hand I'm still trying to find out whether I dislike Kirk or I just dislike Shatner. So it would be interesting to see him played by someone else, who might actually be attractive and...doesn'tspeak...in...that...veryann...oying...spechpattern... Shatner had.

12. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kirk would've been better on Discovery or, as I suggested previously, as a lead on Section 31. It's best to keep him separate from Pike and crew. Maybe they can explore him Carnivale-like over years as his storyline and Pike's/Spock's eventually converge in or near the finale. But due to the lack of serialization, that seems improbable.

13. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think we do. Yes, any random character could be referenced or shown at some point or other and maybe they'll add one or two more to the main cast, but we've already seen what this writer's room envisions Pike's bridge crew to look like and it isn't just a carbon copy of old Trek. The cast is very clearly going to include new characters, not just decades old ones.

14. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd love a series with Captain Ro Laren, with Seven of Nine as her first officer.

15. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I hope they get back Rosa Salazar as Lynne Lucero demoted over the Edward thing would be a interest story to tell

amp likes this.
  16. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wondering if an anthology show with varying lengths (such as multiple episodes) could work?